Uniform .. thank you for your service

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was standing to register for a vaccine jab this morning. The lady at my desk was going thru the 'What is ur DOB, First name' etc. My ear perked when the lady at the other desk started the same set of question with 'Thank you for your service, may i have your DoB.. ". Turned around to see a young fellow in his military fatigues. We dont get may in town, but there are barracks about 30 mins drive away.. As I was waiting, another guy turned up in fatigues and she did the same 'Thank you for your service.. may I .. ".

The Americans are very pro-military and there is a fair bit of chest beating/flag waving when you see someone in uniform. We dont seem to do enough of it here. Not a very british thing? Maybe BoJo's 'flag in every interview' approach may change that.

Good thing or an unwelcome import?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Of course it's a good thing! Anyone that devotes their life to protecting others (whether military, police, medicine, Fire, coastguard/rnli etc etc etc) gets my respect and I think small gestures like your lady did today would be well received I think!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it's a good thing! Anyone that devotes their life to protecting others (whether military, police, medicine, Fire, coastguard/rnli etc etc etc) gets my respect and I think small gestures like your lady did today would be well received I think!
No one ever says 'thank you for your service' to a policeman though do they? Or to a nurse, prior to the famous Thursday night clap anyway.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
No one ever says 'thank you for your service' to a policeman though do they? Or to a nurse, prior to the famous Thursday night clap anyway.

When I have been directly involved with either I have. Maybe wouldn't go up to a bobby on the beat and say thanks mate though...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think the military training and then being posted to pretty much anywhere in the world where there's conflict (or not...) sets them aside from police officers...again imo.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only time I've ever really been given praise by the public was during 7/7 and the riots.

The thank you for your service is an American thing.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s something that happens a lot in many countries- unfortunately there seems to be the opposite in this country with many dismissive of people who have served in the military - for me a lot of that comes from the recent conflicts and the UKs attitude to that. I never did the job for thanks or rewards but at times I at least expected people to be respectful of others who decided to pursue a career protecting others

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Maybe let’s not get into a discussion about the politics and issues in N Ireland over the past 50 plus years - it’s a very sensitive topic that will never end well

D

Deleted member 16999

I recall the crowds at Wootton Bassett paying their respect in a quiet dignified manner.
That's they way it is done in the UK.
Coming from the heart.
Nope, one is paying respect for those who have given their life, the other is for those still living.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was standing to register for a vaccine jab this morning. The lady at my desk was going thru the 'What is ur DOB, First name' etc. My ear perked when the lady at the other desk started the same set of question with 'Thank you for your service, may i have your DoB.. ". Turned around to see a young fellow in his military fatigues. We dont get may in town, but there are barracks about 30 mins drive away.. As I was waiting, another guy turned up in fatigues and she did the same 'Thank you for your service.. may I .. ".

The Americans are very pro-military and there is a fair bit of chest beating/flag waving when you see someone in uniform. We dont seem to do enough of it here. Not a very british thing? Maybe BoJo's 'flag in every interview' approach may change that.

Good thing or an unwelcome import?

Excellent idea. I've been to the USA a few times and love the way they support all their service men and women, getting them to stand and get a massive cheer from the people in attendance. Almost every event I've been to! We should do the same!!!!!

I also love the way more England flags are being flown on ever increasing flag poles. My lad has put one up at his new house. I'm thinking of doing the same.