Uniform .. thank you for your service

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Excellent idea. I've been to the USA a few times and love the way they support all their service men and women, getting them to stand and get a massive cheer from the people in attendance. Almost every event I've been to! We should do the same!!!!!

I also love the way more England flags are being flown on ever increasing flag poles. My lad has put one up at his new house. I'm thinking of doing the same.
Veterans get free private health cover for life in the USA.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Can't stand it.

Have lots of friends that serve/have moved on. It's a good, stable career choice that opens up a lot of options after. That does not make you a hero.

Maybe an age thing, but I agree with you. It's a job. It can set you up for life depending on what you do. Loads of options seem to just open up "because you were in the military". But it's a job.

Absolutely respect those who choose to do it, But cheer and holler like the Americans? Nope. Not me.

D

Deleted member 16999

Maybe an age thing, but I agree with you. It's a job. It can set you up for life depending on what you do. Loads of options seem to just open up "because you were in the military". But it's a job.

Absolutely respect those who choose to do it, But cheer and holler like the Americans? Nope. Not me.
Totally agree, my reply to Dan(in jest) was the last 7 words of his post which made me smile as I don’t think anyone suggested they all were.

Fortunately or unfortunately, the Military are a microcosom of society and have the good, the bad and the ugly.(y)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Excellent idea. I've been to the USA a few times and love the way they support all their service men and women, getting them to stand and get a massive cheer from the people in attendance. Almost every event I've been to! We should do the same!!!!!

I also love the way more England flags are being flown on ever increasing flag poles. My lad has put one up at his new house. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Agree with you on the England flags, I used to wonder why the union flag was so popular with England supporters supporting England.
It just did not make any sense especially when they played against the other three UK regions/countries
You just need an anthem now and that's you sorted.;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with you on the England flags, I used to wonder why the union flag was so popular with England supporters supporting England.
It just did not make any sense especially when they played against the other three UK regions/countries
You just need an anthem now and that's you sorted.;)
Were the only country that has one in the UK. The rest borrow ours and have unofficial ones themselves ?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Were the only country that has one in the UK. The rest borrow ours and have unofficial ones themselves ?
And where did you come up with 'supposed' fact??...OOps just seen the smillie-o.k. you're excused, but tomorrow night???? HMMMM?? Who to support-Decisions, decisions!!
Always admired the way Roberto Mancini dresses-always looks so elegant.. and as for the Italian strip...nearly as good as Croatias..don't you think??:whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't stand it.

Have lots of friends that serve/have moved on. It's a good, stable career choice that opens up a lot of options after. That does not make you a hero.

No one who joins the military sees themselves as any sort of hero - and people arent looking to be seen as hero’s but would hope that they would be shown respect for the career that potentially puts them at harms risk to ensure the safety of the collective - it is a stable career but for many it’s about serving the country and putting themselves up there to help and defend the country when required.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 23270

I find it interesting that you consider it 'just a job' when people get killed or have limbs blown off trying to protect others.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Veterans get free private health cover for life in the USA.

Veterans ( and other vital services people ) are in the main treated abysmally by ALL governments in this country-They make all the promises, BUT never deliver!
As for ex-serving military as defence ministers-make the 'we'll do this for you/we'll look after you/mental health problems/physical rehab/housing fit for purpose etc., etc., etc.,
all charlatans!!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem with the 'thank you for your service' thing is that it opens a whole can of worms.
RNLI crew are mainly volunteers and put their lives on the line every call.
Mountain rescue crews not so dangerous perhaps as RNLI but still risking their lives as volunteers.
Fire crew, police, even council staff and health service staff when dealing with vulnerable clients.
My niece teaches troubled teenagers, she has had more than a few heart stopping moments all on minimum wage scales.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The problem with the 'thank you for your service' thing is that it opens a whole can of worms.
RNLI crew are mainly volunteers and put their lives on the line every call.
Mountain rescue crews not so dangerous perhaps as RNLI but still risking their lives as volunteers.
Fire crew, police, even council staff and health service staff when dealing with vulnerable clients.
My niece teaches troubled teenagers, she has had more than a few heart stopping moments all on minimum wage scales.

Teachers are not on minimum wage!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Was standing to register for a vaccine jab this morning. The lady at my desk was going thru the 'What is ur DOB, First name' etc. My ear perked when the lady at the other desk started the same set of question with 'Thank you for your service, may i have your DoB.. ". Turned around to see a young fellow in his military fatigues. We dont get may in town, but there are barracks about 30 mins drive away.. As I was waiting, another guy turned up in fatigues and she did the same 'Thank you for your service.. may I .. ".

The Americans are very pro-military and there is a fair bit of chest beating/flag waving when you see someone in uniform. We dont seem to do enough of it here. Not a very british thing? Maybe BoJo's 'flag in every interview' approach may change that.

Good thing or an unwelcome import?
Playing golf in Florida got talking to a guy in the bar at lunch.
We got on really well so he came out and played with us pm.
One of the most interesting men I have ever met.
He said “ your invited to our vets afternoon drink later if you want to come”
They had a semi circle of chairs around the 18 th green.
He just smiled and said “just wait”
Next an Apache helicopter appeared over the green and bowed its nose to the vets.
That’s how much they value them.
But a lot drop through the net.
This guy ran the biggest charity for the Vietnam veterans.
They treated us like one of their brothers, a day I will never forget.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing golf in Florida got talking to a guy in the bar at lunch.
We got on really well so he came out and played with us pm.
One of the most interesting men I have ever met.
He said “ your invited to our vets afternoon drink later if you want to come”
They had a semi circle of chairs around the 18 th green.
He just smiled and said “just wait”
Next an Apache helicopter appeared over the green and bowed its nose to the vets.
That’s how much they value them.
But a lot drop through the net.
This guy ran the biggest charity for the Vietnam veterans.
They treated us like one of their brothers, a day I will never forget.

Awesome, they do know how to look after their own well. My old boss was an ex-colonel in the US army, he has since set up a company that places vets into engineering jobs. Trains them up and acts as a recruiter and a facilities management company,

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
back in the day when i was living in Sydney.. i was going thru Hyde Park which also houses the Anzac memorial (similar to the Cenotaph). A few cadets passed by, and all of them took of their hats while walking. Held to their chest while looking at the Memorial, and then walked off. All this happned in a few seconds, but i still remember it in slow motion.. found the guesture very touching