Saying "Thank You for Your Service"

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I don’t see it better and certainly wouldn’t like to see what they do in the US over here , our forces are a bit more understated , do the job quietly , not looking for over gushing off support etc.

The people who treated me with respect because of my service are the only ones that matter - maybe we are far more humble as a military ( and far better of course )

This is what the British are famed for, but there is no need to perpetuate this. These service personnel (you) give their lives for us and should be given a lot more respect, backing and support during and afterwards for what they do / have done. No more shy and retiring. Trumpet what they have done, and make damn sure EVERYONE knows AT EVERY opportunity. Be PROUD. Jesus, we give more fanfare to gay pride. This should stop and we, as a nation, should be a damn sight more patriotic.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I don’t see it better and certainly wouldn’t like to see what they do in the US over here , our forces are a bit more understated , do the job quietly , not looking for over gushing off support etc.

The people who treated me with respect because of my service are the only ones that matter - maybe we are far more humble as a military ( and far better of course )

Oh and I would dispute this bit.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Where do you stop
Fire
Police
Ambulance Crew
Mountain rescue
Nurses
Lollypop lady
Many forces personnel do not see active service,
I used to be friendly with an RAF warrant officer who served 24 years without any active service. If you said 'thanks for your service' to him I am sure he would have given you a very funny look. Do we say 'thanks for your service' to the guys who look after the services sports fields.
Active service and support troops on returning home...........of course we should thank them
Any other time perhaps not.

D

Deleted member 15344

This is what the British are famed for, but there is no need to perpetuate this. These service personnel (you) give their lives for us and should be given a lot more respect, backing and support during and afterwards for what they do / have done. No more shy and retiring. Trumpet what they have done, and make damn sure EVERYONE knows AT EVERY opportunity. Be PROUD. Jesus, we give more fanfare to gay pride. This should stop and we, as a nation, should be a damn sight more patriotic.

Why ? I am proud , my family are proud , my friends etc but I don’t need to be told all the time as if it would massage my ego , I have seen how the country reacts during Armed Forces day , seen how A town reacted when bodies arrive back. Don’t need anything more - don’t need the praise and adulation
Oh and I would dispute this bit.
I wouldn’t having worked alongside them many times - more doesn’t always mean better

D

Deleted member 15344

Where do you stop
Fire
Police
Ambulance Crew
Mountain rescue
Nurses
Lollypop lady
I used to be friendly with an RAF warrant officer who served 24 years without any active service. If you said 'thanks for your service' to him I am sure he would have given you a very funny look. Do we say 'thanks for your service' to the guys who look after the services sports fields.
Active service and support troops on returning home...........of course we should thank them
Every single person who is in the military plays a part within the picture even without active service , remember they are still also protecting the UK whilst stationed in the UK , those guys are enabling you to type your nonsense freely

D

Deleted member 16999

Where do you stop
Fire
Police
Ambulance Crew
Mountain rescue
Nurses
Lollypop lady
Please think before you post, how would you define active service? Lee Rigby, The RM Band at Deal in Kent?

Many service personnel have been killed or died whilst on Duty at a home base.

None of the ex-service personnel who have answered this thread has asked for thanks because we don’t need it, we also don’t need to be insulted either.

As for every other job/role you can list, thanks to them all.

Wolf

Visit site
Where do you stop
Fire
Police
Ambulance Crew
Mountain rescue
Nurses
Lollypop lady
Just when I thought your posts couldn't get any worse you have listed the likes of a lolly pop lady as equivalent to fire, Police and Ambulance services let alone Army, Navy, RAF or RM.

Just because someone may not have seen active service doesn't mean that they haven't done a good service to this country, there are many people in roles in all the services that do things even from back home that in the chain of things supports those operating further forward, whether that be a logistic role, medical, personnel support role etc there are so many more. To say they wouldn't equally deserve the same level of praise is nothing short of insulting.

We don't ask for thanks because it's not the way we are, we know we're appreciated, but just like a firefighter, nurse or police officer we'd prefer not to be insulted by comparing us to the likes of a lollipop lady because whilst they offer a valuable service ensuring children cross the road safely its a far cry from defending the nation that allows you to spout tripe like that and helps derail a perfectly good thread.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Every single person who is in the military plays a part within the picture even without active service , remember they are still also protecting the UK whilst stationed in the UK , those guys are enabling you to type your nonsense freely

Piffle...….I should thank the pay clerk based at Aldershot for her/his service, I don't think so. How are they 'protecting the UK' any more than say the DVLA staff.
What next ? Will you be asking us to thank the midwife that delivered them next.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I think if you've been in the military or have had close family in, then you tend to have a different perspective on things.
I doubt I'd ever say 'thank you' to any of our guys who have served, but then again I'm pretty sure 99% of them wouldn't want me to.
The British military mentality is a millions miles away from the Yanks. We're far more down to earth and realistic, far less Gung ho.
I'm not downplaying the U.S. forces either, I've met a few of them and they are far more reserved than you think. It's just a different culture.

D

Deleted member 16999

Piffle...….I should thank the pay clerk based at Aldershot for her/his service, I don't think so. How are they 'protecting the UK' any more than say the DVLA staff.
What next ? Will you be asking us to thank the midwife that delivered them next.
Because believe it or not you clown, the pay clerk doesn’t get to choose were he’s posted to!

Maybe Fragger as ex-RAPC (pay clerk) can get some thanks by shutting your tripe down.

Wolf

Visit site
Wow, you went even lower than your previous post. Yes that person does equally have a just as an important job. Maybe not you the ridiculously short sighted outside observer you're showing yourself to be. To each of us serving personell that "pay clerk" you look down upon ensures we have nothing to worry about whilst we're away on tour ensuring our bills are paid, salaries go to the right places, ensuring kit and paperwork we need is ordered and sent out or even perhaps in the event of death ensures the widow gets looked after and gets the right settlement package. So to you the ignorant he may just be a pay clerk but to us and our families he is the lifeline that keeps things running smoothly and allow us to fight without worrying about the potential issues back home that would exist without him or her..

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You can't can tell from the uniform if they were a pay clerk or front line.... and that pay clerk is also trained and ready to go and fight if needed.

The "expression" is American, not the language we'd use, but I've seen plenty of people stand someone in uniform a beer etc.... done it myself.

Why would you not be courteous to our Armed Forces?

D

Deleted member 16999

You can't can tell from the uniform if they were a pay clerk or front line.... and that pay clerk is also trained and ready to go and fight if needed.

The "expression" is American, not the language we'd use, but I've seen plenty of people stand someone in uniform a beer etc.... done it myself.

Why would you not be courteous to our Armed Forces?
Good post, I would only add, we should be courteous to all people regardless of job/role.
Unfortunately for people like Loon this thread is about the difference between US and UK Service personnel and that narrow narrative doesn’t suit his agenda and opportunity to score points.

D

Deleted member 15344

You are an embarrassment pal - you have zero understanding or you’re a troll.

Every single person plays a part

As for the person who sorts the pay - he is also an admin who will do gate guard duty , he or she could also spend time in theatre or on a flying unit

That pay clerk at Aldershot ensures the guys get paid which keeps them active , that pay clerk is also fully trained in RoE , first aid and to carry out protection duties all so that you can demean their role

The thread was started saying should we give thanks - I always say I just prefer quiet appreciation but there is always some doorknobs who go the opposite

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are an embarrassment pal - you have zero understanding or you’re a troll.

Every single person plays a part

As for the person who sorts the pay - he is also an admin who will do gate guard duty , he or she could also spend time in theatre or on a flying unit

That pay clerk at Aldershot ensures the guys get paid which keeps them active , that pay clerk is also fully trained in RoE , first aid and to carry out protection duties all so that you can demean their role

The thread was started saying should we give thanks - I always say I just prefer quiet appreciation but there is always some doorknobs who go the opposite

I never said that I did not give thanks to service personal on active duty and I completely agree with you on your quiet appreciation comment.
The problem I have is that I believe this American jingoistic stuff [nicely observed on an earlier post] and the OOT poppy police types just puts people off supporting our troops. This is a crying shame.

Wolf

Visit site
I never said that I did not give thanks to service personal on active duty and I completely agree with you on your quiet appreciation comment.
The problem I have is that I believe this American jingoistic stuff [nicely observed on an earlier post] and the OOT poppy police types just puts people off supporting our troops. This is a crying shame.
Oh dear Doom, sometimes you just need to pause before you type. You've said in previous posts about thanking the pay clerk in aldershot and comparisons to lolly pop ladies. Yet your saying you haven't said anything about not saying thanks to active service personell. You are aware by being in the military whether home or abroad makes them all active serving personell by nature.

LP summed it up better than probably any of us did did combined, that whether their AGC (adjutant general corps) RAF Personnel support or Navy Writer, all roles effectively the same as your pay clerk stereo type they will be vital to everyone in their respective arm of the services. They will also deploy on operational duty with their squadrons, flights or ships whether that's in an admin role, being used as guard, medic, fire fighting (naval duty on ship) or stretcher bearer they're still going away. Every member of all the services from the day they sign on until day they leave are on active service and will be used according to the needs as required at the time.

It just seems now you've been found out with your posts your trying a terrible attempt at a back track. Nobody has mentioned being put off supporting our troops by America style thanks we've just said we do it differently, plus without those poppy types the Royal British Legion wouldn't have as many people doing great charitable work raising funds to help people. Please before your next reply at least think about what you're going to say.