Saying "Thank You for Your Service"

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A RM Bandsman at Deal has a Green Beret, has carried out full Commando training and is capable of combat operations at any time. The same goes for any military personnel.

D

Deleted member 16999

A RM Bandsman at Deal has a Green Beret, has carried out full Commando training and is capable of combat operations at any time. The same goes for any military personnel.
There are no RM Bandsmen at Deal it no longer exists, also the RM Band Service has both male and female members who are no longer Marine qualified Commando.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You are an embarrassment pal - you have zero understanding or you’re a troll.

Every single person plays a part

As for the person who sorts the pay - he is also an admin who will do gate guard duty , he or she could also spend time in theatre or on a flying unit

That pay clerk at Aldershot ensures the guys get paid which keeps them active , that pay clerk is also fully trained in RoE , first aid and to carry out protection duties all so that you can demean their role

The thread was started saying should we give thanks - I always say I just prefer quiet appreciation but there is always some doorknobs who go the opposite

I admire your restraint Phil, and very well said.

As for the village idiot... I'd get more than an infraction for calling him out on this one. But someone like him is just not worth the effort.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't can tell from the uniform if they were a pay clerk or front line.... and that pay clerk is also trained and ready to go and fight if needed.

The "expression" is American, not the language we'd use, but I've seen plenty of people stand someone in uniform a beer etc.... done it myself?

This is getting better, chips and a beer, when are you next in North Devon :cool:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm in Chepstow right now. Two lads in Rifles Uniform were queuing in the chippy.

I paid for their lunch on your behalf Doon!

I told them an old soldier says keep up the good work!!

And I took a load of toilet rolls and a couple of bags food to my local foodbank on your behalf. :love: [moreholythanyou .com]
Jeez folk should read the OP again and stop being so precious.
OP asked for opinions I gave mine and because it was not in line with some I received a load of insults and abuse.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I admire your restraint Phil, and very well said.

As for the village idiot... I'd get more than an infraction for calling him out on this one. But someone like him is just not worth the effort.
He hasn't slagged of the military, just given his own view on the OP and gets abused for it
Oof

D

Deleted member 16999

And I took a load of toilet rolls and a couple of bags food to my local foodbank on your behalf. :love: [moreholythanyou .com]
Jeez folk should read the OP again and stop being so precious.
OP asked for opinions I gave mine and because it was not in line with some I received a load of insults and abuse.
Read your first post!
Do you honestly think we have service personnel looking after sports fields or they only time they are in danger is on active service?

My wife, when we lived in Germany, had to search her car everytime she used it on hands and knees in case the IRA had booby trapped it.

Was Lee Rigby on active service when he was mowed down and hacked to death? Were the RM Bandies in Deal on active service when they were blown up by the IRA?

You then went on to insult Pay Clerks as once again you showed your ignorance.

So please, spare us the “poor me” posts, if you don’t know? Ask, don’t keep pouring petrol on the fire.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
There are no RM Bandsmen at Deal it no longer exists, also the RM Band Service has both male and female members who are no longer Marine qualified Commando.
OK, I didnt know they had moved, thats where their school of music was when I was in the Navy and someone else mentioned it earlier on this thread. They used to all pass commando training in those days and looking at their web site it indicated they still do. I must have misread it.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/royal-marines/what-can-i-do/royal-marines-band-service

D

Deleted member 16999

OK, I didnt know they had moved, thats where their school of music was when I was in the Navy and someone else mentioned it earlier on this thread. They used to all pass commando training in those days and looking at their web site it indicated they still do. I must have misread it.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/royal-marines/what-can-i-do/royal-marines-band-service
It closed in 1996 and the RM School of Music is Pompey, they have female musicians now, and as far as I’m aware no female has ever attempted the RM Commando Course.
I mentioned Deal earlier as an example of service personnel killed on duty and outside of what doon would describe as active service.

D

Deleted member 16999

Several woman have attempted the short "All Arms Course", not sure on the pass rate.
Only ever heard of one that passed, but that was a few years back.
As of last year all roles were opened up to females.

Wolf

Visit site
Only ever heard of one that passed, but that was a few years back.
As of last year all roles were opened up to females.
I believe your reference is to Captain Phillipa Tattersall in 2002.. I still hear snippets from the old stomping ground, last I'd heard 3 in total had passed the all arms Commando which is a shorter easier course than the RM Commando full course but still a bloody tough course to get through and those that pass have most definitely earned the right to wear the green lid.

At the time of opening RM full course all up to women to there had been 20 due to begin PRMC selection at Lympstone however passing that only means they then get in to RM basic training then have to complete the full 32 weeks.

Considering the attrition rate of on the course roughly 50% get injured during basic, a % of those have to leave and some come back after recovery so any of the ladies that get through I doff my very own Green beret to them in congratulations on their achievements.

I believe at last count only 1 ironically also called Pippa(Birch) had passed PRMC but she had to pull out of her course through injury, if she's not seriously injured she'll still be there as a recruit at Lympstone under the rehab wing so hopefully means she will go on with many others to complete the course.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I believe your reference is to Captain Phillipa Tattersall in 2002.. I still hear snippets from the old stomping ground, last I'd heard 3 in total had passed the all arms Commando which is a shorter easier course than the RM Commando full course but still a bloody tough course to get through and those that pass have most definitely earned the right to wear the green lid.

At the time of opening RM full course all up to women to there had been 20 due to begin PRMC selection at Lympstone however passing that only means they then get in to RM basic training then have to complete the full 32 weeks.

Considering the attrition rate of on the course roughly 50% get injured during basic, a % of those have to leave and some come back after recovery so any of the ladies that get through I doff my very own Green beret to them in congratulations on their achievements.

I believe at last count only 1 ironically also called Pippa(Birch) had passed PRMC but she had to pull out of her course through injury, if she's not seriously injured she'll still be there as a recruit at Lympstone under the rehab wing so hopefully means she will go on with many others to complete the course.
Didn't know you were a Booty. Respect from a Matelot.

Wolf

Visit site
Didn't know you were a Booty. Respect from a Matelot.
Indeed SR, I was in 45 Commando as part of command group Recce troop. Had some good times with the Matelot your lot always welcomed us and put a hard shift in with good spirits. So you guys all have my respect to.