Who you play with, or am I at fault !

Pitch Perfect

Visit site
Who you play with, or am I at fault ?

Turned up today for one of the informal swindles at my golf club. I dont get to play that often (full H-Cap) but enjoy it when I do.
I am certainly no great golfer, when on form I am reasonably competant but more often than I would like though I seem to lapse back to doing some really, really bad shots, topping the ball etc.
Anyway despite any of this If I am going to spend 4 hours of my life knocking a ball around it has to be fun !
I am aware though of the rules and the importance of good etiquette and I am generally considerate of others.
I had one of the guys that made up our 4 ball today giving me the benefit of his wisdom/ lecturing me that apparently I walked behind the bunker (to find my ball) that another of our guys was playing from and this may have put him off.
He gave me the 'being more aware of the other players talk', as I am relativley new at this club and not played with them before, I allowed myself to be patronised without too much fuss.
Funny how something like that can seem to effect your concentration, probably because I then found myself observing him doing exactly the same thing ! Part of me felt like shouting out 'Oi stop moving sunshine, he is playing a shot !!'
I then thought back to one of the earlier fairways where he had sent a ball over my head to land in the water just behind me !
My game just went to c**p after that for the last couple of holes, probably because I no longer felt relaxed.
I brought it up again in the bar afterwards as it was still on my mind, just as he was going into 'I had to learn mode' one of the regulars there gave him the most 'pot calling the kettle black' looks I had ever seen !
So there you go, this game does seem to be very much played in the mind, well it seems it is for me anyway.
:rolleyes:

Pitch Perfect

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Re: Who you play with, or am I at fault ?

I think we would all agree with you on the effect on the mind during games. We all have had incidents like or similar to you, there is always someone, playing partner, group in front or behind who wants to share the benefit of their knowledge with you and, effectively, tell you off!

Yes, it does affect most of us adversely, especially if the person has themselves been guilty of such things, but, I guess, two wrongs don't make a right, if you did disturb other playing partners a few times then someone, in a nice way, needs to mention it, but, you had every right to call him for the same thing and I, for one, would definitely have told him straight away when he did exactly the same thing with the " practice what you preach " comment!

I tend to stew on things done and said though and certainly have ruined the odd game by dwelling on such things when others can have a spat and immediately move on - it takes all sorts!

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Generally I just ignore these types and I suggest you do the same, just concentrate on your game and adhere to the rules and etiquette of the game.

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site

Could have been worse, it could have been the mid round lesson off a mid 20s handicapper :D

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's very difficult not to be unduly affected by the conduct of others during a round of golf, in my opinion. This is particularly the case where people seem keen to try and impose their views on you, be it conduct around the course (although a polite word is fine if there is a real issue of some sort) or technique or some kind of mind game or other.

I lack a bit of self confidence as a golfer, partly because I'm relatively new to the sport so I'm sure there are some rules and etiquette that I might not be aware of and partly because I'm just not that good. This makes me even more affected by the behaviour of others.

I'd love to say I just ignore it and get on with things, but in practice, that's very tricky to do!

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

These things happen in golf,and i am sure you will experience similar things again..You will also see things for yourself that you may feel you need to point out...One of my common observed pet hates,is opponents walking straight across your line of vision when putting,..i just stop and reset, sometimes the penny drops without saying something..Don't let it bother you to much,enjoy your golf,and try to play your shots unconsciously..

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

easy to say just ignore him, very hard to do. He is obviously a know-it-all who interferes and doesnt practice what he preaches.

The fact you are relatively new to the club and I'm assuming (forgive me if I'm wrong but it's relevant to this type of guy from a psychology perspective) you are a high handicap, then he has taken the mantle to be your 'teacher', and probably knows 'F' all about you. He's just that type of guy.

Best advice- stay clear and don't play with him again unless you have to, and if you do and he 'offers' advice again, just cut him short, thank him for his advice but say it isn't required, smile and move on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I would tell him I am out for some recreation and fun and that people in glass houses and all that. Point out he isn't whiter than white and try not to play with him again

Pitch Perfect

Visit site

Perhaps you should start thinking about where you stand when partners are playing.

Thats a fair comment Doon frae Troon, but equally I had to ask this know it all few times to move accross on a couple of occasions before I played my shot and I was courtious enough to do so !

I guess it is the difference between playing a game of golf with friends and playing club golf with some guys you have only just met at a club.
I perhaps should have asked the guy who actually played the bunker shot if I had actually put him off, perhaps I did, perhaps he just happened to play a poor shot anyway, he certainly didnt say anything to me, in fact he was very pleasant. Too late now though. I would have felt a bit silly blaming my own poor shots afterwards on Mr Patronisings comments to me, but maybey amoungst people I know better I would have felt more at ease to do so.
I like to think my own ettiquette is pretty good and would hate to think otherwise.

A technical point though, if my ball was behind the bunker and thus further away from the flag, shouldnt it actually be me being waited on to play my shot first ?
Also the rule about standing still if someone is playing a shot, would this still apply if you are some distance away, eg. looking for a lost ball ?

Thanks already for your input and your replies on this.
:mmm:
Pitch Perfect

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Learning to tolerate different types of personalities is one of the interesting things that Golf can provide. I've been thanked by mates for providing another 'lesson' several times! :rolleyes:

There are many 'helpful' folk too. One of the slowest players in our group was always complaining about the slow play of others!

Knowing the best place to be/where to stand is something you simply pick up from noticing what others do. It can be tricky knowing where 3 others are when you are keen to find your ball in the rough!

@Doon. I trust you are not about to resurrect the 'Where to stand on the Tee' thread!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Thats a fair comment Doon frae Troon, but equally I had to ask this know it all few times to move accross on a couple of occasions before I played my shot and I was courtious enough to do so !

I guess it is the difference between playing a game of golf with friends and playing club golf with some guys you have only just met at a club.
I perhaps should have asked the guy who actually played the bunker shot if I had actually put him off, perhaps I did, perhaps he just happened to play a poor shot anyway, he certainly didnt say anything to me, in fact he was very pleasant. Too late now though. I would have felt a bit silly blaming my own poor shots afterwards on Mr Patronisings comments to me, but maybey amoungst people I know better I would have felt more at ease to do so.
I like to think my own ettiquette is pretty good and would hate to think otherwise.

A technical point though, if my ball was behind the bunker and thus further away from the flag, shouldnt it actually be me being waited on to play my shot first ?
Also the rule about standing still if someone is playing a shot, would this still apply if you are some distance away, eg. looking for a lost ball ?

Thanks already for your input and your replies on this.
:mmm:
Pitch Perfect

technically furthest away plays first in stroke and matchplay, in matchplay its a rule in strokeplay its recommended but not enforced.

2nd part isnt a rule its etiquette

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

The point I am making is....... if your playing partner hit his 'fairway' shot over your head I can only assume you must have been standing well in front of him and probably in his line of sight..

Pitch Perfect

Visit site

The point I am making is....... if your playing partner hit his 'fairway' shot over your head I can only assume you must have been standing well in front of him and probably in his line of sight..

No Doon, he was chipping onto the green, I was already on it, Ha ! His ball was ahead and he was playing it back.... too far and into the water ! :D

I think I will just have to accept there are twonks around that perhaps with good intention just say things that get on your wick.
I didnt put anyone off their shot (I doubt if the guy playing it even knew I was anywhere near him), next thing I will be told my trousers are too bright and are causing a distraction !

Nice to be able to get out my system a bit on here though, hopefully by mid week I shall have stopped thinking about it !
Thanks for your replies guys.
Heres to stress free golfing, hopefully good company and not worrying too much about the silly stuff !
;)
Pitch Perfect

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

No Doon, he was chipping onto the green, I was already on it, Ha ! His ball was ahead and he was playing it back.... too far and into the water ! :D

I think I will just have to accept there are twonks around that perhaps with good intention just say things that get on your wick.
I didnt put anyone off their shot (I doubt if the guy playing it even knew I was anywhere near him), next thing I will be told my trousers are too bright and are causing a distraction !

Nice to be able to get out my system a bit on here though, hopefully by mid week I shall have stopped thinking about it !
Thanks for your replies guys.
Heres to stress free golfing, hopefully good company and not worrying too much about the silly stuff !
;)
Pitch Perfect

Perhaps you should not have said fairway if he was behind the green. Gave us the wrong impression.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I doubt he was attempting to land it in the water just over his head! highly unlikely.

unless you were in the bunker with this chap, again unlikely that you put him off.