Saying "Thank You for Your Service"

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed SR, I was in 45 Commando as part of command group Recce troop. Had some good times with the Matelot your lot always welcomed us and put a hard shift in with good spirits. So you guys all have my respect to.
So you were stationed at Arbroath, I can remember it being an RNAS base. Did you spend any time at Guzz? I was an RN Air Artifficer.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never served. I have (just) a few friends & colleagues who have served. I understand what they do (or have done) and appreciate it. I have great respect for the British military. But why anyone might expect I would approach a stranger just to say "thank you for being in the services", I dont understand? After all, service personal are in a career they chose/volunteered to do - even if it is, at times, a demanding, difficult and often downright dangerous career.

We have Remembrance Day, we have the Armed Services Day,, occasional individual events, and occasional homecoming parades. I feel that is enough and appropriate.

Wolf

Visit site
So you were stationed at Arbroath, I can remember it being an RNAS base. Did you spend any time at Guzz? I was an RN Air Artifficer.
Indeed at good old RM Condor. If my history lessons of Condor serve me correctly it ceased being RNAS Arbroath very early in the 70s when it became RM Condor. Have been to Guzz but only ever for a stop over there so only fleeting knowledge of the place. Air Artifficer aye bit more intellectual than what my role was 😂

2 of my kids are interested in service I keep saying go Navy or RAF and learn a decent trade whilst in instead of doing what I did so that their future is better when they leave if they go ahead with joining up.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Indeed at good old RM Condor. If my history lessons of Condor serve me correctly it ceased being RNAS Arbroath very early in the 70s when it became RM Condor. Have been to Guzz but only ever for a stop over there so only fleeting knowledge of the place. Air Artifficer aye bit more intellectual than what my role was 😂

2 of my kids are interested in service I keep saying go Navy or RAF and learn a decent trade whilst in instead of doing what I did so that their future is better when they leave if they go ahead with joining up.
The Rn don't have Artificer apprenticeships now, they were replaced by a new Technician branch. I also spent 20 years as a reservist (Saturday Sailor) Loved it

Wolf

Visit site
The Rn don't have Artificer apprenticeships now, they were replaced by a new Technician branch. I also spent 20 years as a reservist (Saturday Sailor) Loved it
Same as RAF all technical roles but still a far better way of life than becoming Booty or a Pongo. As much as I loved my time I'd always recommend to y kids Navy it RAF in a technical, logistical or Admin role if they can for better qualifications and a better life opportunity those roles offer over the ability to lay in a ditch with a rifle or knowing how to lead an assault as that doesn't give you much for when you leave.

Mrs Wolf is undergoing RAF Personnel officer selection at moment and it has the ability to open up so many avenues for her.

D

Deleted member 16999

Same as RAF all technical roles but still a far better way of life than becoming Booty or a Pongo. As much as I loved my time I'd always recommend to y kids Navy it RAF in a technical, logistical or Admin role if they can for better qualifications and a better life opportunity those roles offer over the ability to lay in a ditch with a rifle or knowing how to lead an assault as that doesn't give you much for when you leave.

Mrs Wolf is undergoing RAF Personnel officer selection at moment and it has the ability to open up so many avenues for her.
Without insulting your kids intelligence, don’t completely write off the Army, have a look at the trades available in Corps like Royal Engineers, Signals and REME, plenty of them as equally technical but also the more practical trades.

Wolf

Visit site
Without insulting your kids intelligence, don’t completely write off the Army, have a look at the trades available in Corps like Royal Engineers, Signals and REME, plenty of them as equally technical but also the more practical trades.
Not insulting at all mate, good friend of mines a Staffy in the RE he's even told them not to bother with the corps as a lot are trying to rebadge into RAF, my son & daughter been to careers day with all 3 arms of the military had look through all trades in each of them my Lad has written Army off himself he wants to work in Avionics tech and Army REME limits him Appache Helicopter & Desert hawk drones whereas RAF gives his such a wide array of avionics to work with so that's his choice. My daughter wants to be a medic as ultimately in future she wants to go on to be a paramedic so Army is an option there but from the literature she has it looks like she is swayed to RAF or Navy but again her choices.

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As much as it pains me, nephews lad split from the family green and went navy avionics and has just come back from working with F35's. Also spent time on HMS Queen Elizabeth.

Still a big toys boy myself :cool:
Bet it was a fantastic experience. Phantoms and Buccaneers seemed pretty cutting edge back then.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
And I took a load of toilet rolls and a couple of bags food to my local foodbank on your behalf. :love: [moreholythanyou .com]
Jeez folk should read the OP again and stop being so precious.
OP asked for opinions I gave mine and because it was not in line with some I received a load of insults and abuse.

Late replying due to the weekend and would normally let it be since others have addressed it already but as the thread starter I'd like to say that I kinda didn’t ask for opinions on whether they deserved to be thanked (I’m pretty certain that of course they deserve thanks) I asked about opinions on the method of thanks & the practice we see in the US

Your other list of occupations all deserve our thanks too, but weren’t’ really the topic of my post (the big difference between nurses/RNLI/police etc is that for those in the armed forces, they go to work knowing that somewhere someone has been specifically trained to kill them while they work!)

So while I’d thank someone in the fire service, ambulance, police or lollypop person when I interact with them, I believe the armed forces (& often their families) are operating on another level

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would just like to say that through the official mod run "Military Discount Card" many retail/travel and the motor industry and organisations do show support for our services as they do for the blue light services and company's.