Under your wing or leave them standing?

Junior letting you though when on a solo practice round.

• Take them under your wing.

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Fly past them because you don't want to be held up.

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
What would you do in a solo practice round if there was a junior in front when they go to let you play through?

Was out today for 18 and while coming up to the back nine I noticed a junior who had cut in and was about a hole in front. Noticed h was struggling but never got a chance to speak to him untill the 16th. He was all paniced and worried that he was holding me up and I had noticed he had picked up and sped on a few times to keep up with the group in front. Told him I wasn't bothered and he could join me for the last 2 holes. To say he was surprised is an understatment. I did my best to put him at ease and he played the final two holes with me.

I advised him that next time he was out and an adult was coming behind he should step off and let them through rather than rush his own game. I also told him that had I caught him sooner I would have invited him to play along with me then. I fired him a Taylormade RBZ ball that I had in my bag because he had taylormade irons and he seemed chuffed. Also appeared to have a great love for the game (hitting the putting green straight after) and seemed generally aware of ettiquette having never once held me up while I was behind (to his own detriment mind you). Nice to see him on the course rather than a street corner.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having 2 kids that are learning the game and doing pretty well considering how little time they have been playing with my 14 year old daughter getting a place on the cornwall junior acadamy course I will always offer to play with a junior if I come across them on the course.
I always give them praise rather than putting them down on bad shots as this will build their confidence and you can see them thriving on it while you play with them. They are the next generation of golfers whether they go on to be major winners or club golfers.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did the very same a few weeks ago, this time I was playing in a 2 ball when we came up behind a young couple, (two young girls) as soon as they noticed we were behind them they picked up and almost ran off to the next tee.

They did this twice before I called them over and had a chat with them, I told them they didn't need to rush because of us and asked them if they wanted to join us as we we both needed a partner for the final 7 holes and if they wanted we would be very happy for them to help us out.

The look on there faces were a picture, they said yes but told us they have only just stared playing.

I think what put them at ease was on the next hole I sliced my tee shot into the a different post code, all had a good laugh (at me):eek: and then had a great time chatting and giving advice (not on driving) where ever we could.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would always try to get them to join as juniors need to feel welcomed at the club/course otherwise you might as well padlock the gates. The amount of times I have heard other players say "pfft they are just juniors tell them to shift" is crazy. Especially since most of them are better players :(

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree theres not alot/enough done pro actively to encourage juniours to interact with the senior members in most clubs .. we had a 9 hole scramble for the captains drive in , teams mixed with Ladies , Juniours & Male .. was great fun ..

I think it was a shock to the juniours how OK the oldies could be ha .. they are the future & if they are shown respect they will show it to other juniours as they get older... golf clubs are like life in general , there will always me a few idiots but in general you will reap what you sow ..

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
My 12yr old son plays at my club, and Im more than happy to tee it up with the kids, and some, that my son has befriended have asked to join me, or me & a mate for a game, 1 in particular, a real cheeky chap, but nice kid, and its great to see their progress, he has came down from 28H/cap to 13 H/cap this year, a real dedicated lad thats always practicing and asking questions

So YES, always