'Twos' competition

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Quick Q on the divisions/classes mentioned. Is the split by handicap, ability, gender, age, tee’s used… all of the above?

Swango1980

Visit site
What do clubs do for a hole in one? Ours pays out 2 shares, I have heard that some pay half the pot but in a Society I play with, the organiser says a 1 doesn't count in the 2s comp! He says it is for 2s, not 1s - but to be fair, it has never come up and with most of the Scoiety I doubt it will! ;)
Might find out this week, as one of the guys in yesterdays competition got a hole in 1. It was on a 500+ yard par 5. Clearly he meant to type in a 10+ score, but intrigues to see if he will get his Hugo Boss watch now from howdidido :) .

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Might find out this week, as one of the guys in yesterdays competition got a hole in 1. It was on a 500+ yard par 5. Clearly he meant to type in a 10+ score, but intrigues to see if he will get his Hugo Boss watch now from howdidido :) .
Must be downhill, wind assisted, hard ground for plenty of run, members bounce, etc :p:p:p

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do clubs do for a hole in one? Ours pays out 2 shares, I have heard that some pay half the pot but in a Society I play with, the organiser says a 1 doesn't count in the 2s comp! He says it is for 2s, not 1s - but to be fair, it has never come up and with most of the Scoiety I doubt it will! ;)

Ive seen a club pay out half the pot, one pay out 2 shares and one not pay out (its a 2s club not a 1s club their argument :eek: )

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't get what you think could be unfair about the twos? :LOL: You can choose to enter for it or not - and anyone has a chance of a two, on the shortest par 3 if nothing else.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really unfair that better golfers win more prizes. It must be nice for them to be rewarded in a competition where the field isn't artificially levelled by the handicap system.
If you really wanted to level it out then you could run your twos comp in divisions - or pay out for net twos instead of gross.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not really unfair that better golfers win more prizes. It must be nice for them to be rewarded in a competition where the field isn't artificially levelled by the handicap system.
If you really wanted to level it out then you could run your twos comp in divisions - or pay out for net twos instead of gross.
Split per divisions, perhaps. But I'd imagine a nett 2 for an 18 handicapper is significantly easier than a gross 2 for, say a 14 handicapper, who may get no shots on any par 3.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

Nett twos!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Brilliant!! then that would be another competition the plus handicappers would be donating too!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That nearly ended up with tea spat all over the desk!!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't enter the 2's at my home club. The par 3's are not massively conducive to 2's, as I have proved this year :cry:. I have entered in every Open I've played so far this year and have to either have one or see any one else in my group have one either. I'm going to rethink that for next year.

2's should be a straight share out. Everyone has an equal chance, no one is forced to enter.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Split per divisions, perhaps. But I'd imagine a nett 2 for an 18 handicapper is significantly easier than a gross 2 for, say a 14 handicapper, who may get no shots on any par 3.
You're right. I should have said try to level it out. Personally I wouldn't bother as I have no problem with better golfers winning more prizes.
Nett twos!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Brilliant!! then that would be another competition the plus handicappers would be donating too!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That nearly ended up with tea spat all over the desk!!

I wasn't recommending it. Just offering a suggestion in answer to the OP's question. He seems to think the current system is unfair, I don't agree.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I do think better players have a better chance, but I think thats fair enough.

Better players dont just appear, they practice theyre collective back sides off to improve year on year.

For someone to complain that its 'unfair' for them to win more prizes than the turn up once a week and race to the 19th types is a dissapointing reflection on todays society.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
You're right. I should have said try to level it out. Personally I wouldn't bother as I have no problem with better golfers winning more prizes.

I wasn't recommending it. Just offering a suggestion in answer to the OP's question. He seems to think the current system is unfair, I don't agree.

Yeah, I got it, the thought just made me chuckle! :)

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Our entry is £5, includes 2s money - no option to pull out. Never heard anyone complain, always a chance if you hit the green. High h/cappers feature in the list regularly (although there are more lower guys on the list).

Our only prize complaints this year have been in relation to the gross - throughout the year this has been shared by 3 guys with the prize being equal to the overall 1st. Doesn't really bother me, it ensures low guys don't skip the Saturday competition, but it has been suggested the prize should be decreased. Don't think there has been a repeat winner for overall net this year.

D

Deleted member 1147

I find the idea that lower handicappers are more likely to get 2's interesting, as par 3's are the easiest holes for a higher handicapper to play, and everyone has the chance of a lucky putt dropping.

As such I looked at the last 3 competitions played at my club to see the breakdown of 2's:

24 by double figure handicappers
23 by single figure handicappers
3 by + handicappers

So pretty evenly mixed at my club based on that

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find the idea that lower handicappers are more likely to get 2's interesting, as par 3's are the easiest holes for a higher handicapper to play, and everyone has the chance of a lucky putt dropping.

As such I looked at the last 3 competitions played at my club to see the breakdown of 2's:

3 by + handicappers

I think the first point of your post depends on the par 3's. If they are relatively short then absolutely. Once you start to lengthen them out though the more skilled lower h/c have a greater chance of a 2.

There are par 3's at courses where I am taking driver off white tees compared to say a 4 or 5 iron of a better player. That has to make a difference. Once you get above 180yds, possible wind in your face, the success gap will widen.

I still agree with a straight split on 2's though, we know the score before we sign up.

Swango1980

Visit site

3 by + handicappers

There is no way in a million years that a high handicapper has an equal chance to get a 2 than a low handicapper. The low handicappers are better ball strikers, longer hitters and better putters in general. If I had to put a bet on who was most likely to get a 2, Dustin Johnson or some 20+ handicapper, my money is on Dustin every time.

In your comparison, the number of double figure handicappers likely outweighs the number of single figure handicappers significantly.

D

Deleted member 21258

Normally one pot and division one handicaps win the pot alot more than the other divisions.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think the first point of your post depends on the par 3's. If they are relatively short then absolutely. Once you start to lengthen them out though the more skilled lower h/c have a greater chance of a 2.

There are par 3's at courses where I am taking driver off white tees compared to say a 4 or 5 iron of a better player. That has to make a difference. Once you get above 180yds, possible wind in your face, the success gap will widen.

I still agree with a straight split on 2's though, we know the score before we sign up.

our shortest par three if the pins at the back is 180 ?

Swango1980

Visit site

I have to disagree. If you put a ball 5 yards off the green, the chances a scratch golfer getting up and down in 2 is far better than a 20 handicapper. So, why would the chances of both players suddenly be equal in getting up and down when you put their ball 140 yards away from the green (or however you define a short par 3). The lower handicapper will always be favourite in getting up and down.