'Twos' competition

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Ultimately by entering the twos you are backing yourself to get one. Obviously, the odds are lower the better you are.

So as Harry would say, You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well do you, punk?

Its a gamble, if you like the odds - fill yer boots(y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to disagree. If you put a ball 5 yards off the green, the chances a scratch golfer getting up and down in 2 is far better than a 20 handicapper. So, why would the chances of both players suddenly be equal in getting up and down when you put their ball 140 yards away from the green (or however you define a short par 3). The lower handicapper will always be favourite in getting up and down.
Clearly the lower player is likely to do better, it's why they are lower. The point is that the gap will be narrower if the distance is short but will widen for each 10yd or so that gets added. Equal is probably too strong but the gap is closer.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
our shortest par three if the pins at the back is 180 ?
What are they to the middle that's the important bit, not that the flag might be at the back.
Ours are, 150, 170, 140 and 205 to the middle. Plenty of high handicaps get 2s at 4 and 11 the two shorter holes.

D

Deleted member 1147

The 200th player on the PGA tour, from 175-200 yds, puts the ball on average 38 feet from the hole. Indeed the 200th player for GIR from 175-200 only hits the green 47% of the time.
If we assume the best single figure player at our clubs isn't as good as the 200th most accurate PGA tour player, that means on average getting a 2 is more about luck than judgement. Because I don't know many players who have a better chance than evens at holing from 40ft plus.

Also, the 200th best at getting birdies on pars only manages to do so 8% of the time.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What are they to the middle that's the important bit, not that the flag might be at the back.
Ours are, 150, 170, 140 and 205 to the middle. Plenty of high handicaps get 2s at 4 and 11 the two shorter holes.
172 to the middle, our first par 3 and si 18

D

Deleted member 1147

Not quite sure the Sunday swindle greens will be up to the same difficulty of tour event greens.
It was just to demonstrate that Pro's aren't all as amazing as is often believed, and single figure handicappers are a lot worse than some high handicappers think. Especially when you consider that most will finish a round over par for par 3's, it hardly means they have a great chance at getting 2's. Most low handicappers make their scores on short par 4's and par 5's.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
The 200th player on the PGA tour, from 175-200 yds, puts the ball on average 38 feet from the hole. Indeed the 200th player for GIR from 175-200 only hits the green 47% of the time.
If we assume the best single figure player at our clubs isn't as good as the 200th most accurate PGA tour player, that means on average getting a 2 is more about luck than judgement. Because I don't know many players who have a better chance than evens at holing from 40ft plus.

Also, the 200th best at getting birdies on pars only manages to do so 8% of the time.

From 40 feet tour pros make about 4%..... so signifivantly worse than evens ;)

Swango1980

Visit site

All that is just noise.

A low handicapper is much more likely to strike the ball well. They are much more likely to choose the right club. They are much more likely to be a better putter.

The high handicapper is much more likely to hit a horror shot. They are much more likely to pick the wrong club. They are much more likely to be a worse putter.

So, to say both players are just as likely to get a 2 on any given par 3 is crazy.

Just randomly googling the difference between low and high handicappers: From 150 yards, 8 handicapper Greens In Reg 45%, 14 handicapper 29% and 20 handicapper 22%. So, even using that stat, an 8 handicapper is giving himself a lot more birdie chances on a par 3 than a 14 handicapper.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just had a look at the last few comps at my club. We have two divisions split at an index of 12 and the numbers of players are pretty even between the two divisions. We have one pot for the 2's.

Approx. 66% of the 2's go to players in division 1. Tbh I thought it would have been more than that.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just had a look at the last few comps at my club. We have two divisions split at an index of 12 and the numbers of players are pretty even between the two divisions. We have one pot for the 2's.

Approx. 66% of the 2's go to players in division 1. Tbh I thought it would have been more than that.
Like my place, not a massive difference

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do clubs do for a hole in one? Ours pays out 2 shares, I have heard that some pay half the pot but in a Society I play with, the organiser says a 1 doesn't count in the 2s comp! He says it is for 2s, not 1s - but to be fair, it has never come up and with most of the Scoiety I doubt it will! ;)

Nothing with regard to the pot but the club pays for the drinks if it is in a club comp.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do clubs do for a hole in one? Ours pays out 2 shares, I have heard that some pay half the pot but in a Society I play with, the organiser says a 1 doesn't count in the 2s comp! He says it is for 2s, not 1s - but to be fair, it has never come up and with most of the Scoiety I doubt it will! ;)

My society doesn't pay, the guy who got the hole in one when the pot was £100 was fuming

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You can't hide from 2's - you either get them or you don't. I'm not sure how splitting the divisions is going to improve the amount of 2's. It's a gamble that favours better golfers. However, on their day anyone whom hits a green on a par 3 has a shout at one.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We divide the 2's pot between our five par 3's and pay out depending on how many 2's there are on each individual hole. So £150 in the pot would be £30 per hole. If there are 6 2's on the 2nd they get a fiver, if only 2 on the 13h they receive £15. If, unusually, there is a 2 on a par 4 the pot is split into 6. If there are no 2's on a specific par 3 then the pot is divided into 4.

We also have a 20p hole in one competition with a maximum £300 in shop vouchers. It's been won twice this year, by a 17 and 24 handicappers.

badgergm

Visit site
Unfortunately at ours, you can put on as much as you want. The coup,e of scratch lads put on a fiver sometimes. Decent earner for them, but not really in the spirit of things IMO.