TV Series - What Are You Watching?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Post Office Scandal has been on my mind all day and every day this week.
Spent a lot of time finding out more about the true story.
Government owned business, but with little or no scrutiny of its operations by government and the government put nothing in place to do any scrutiny.
Thus we had a case of CEO with absolute power. And what does absolute power do according to a 19th century adage?

700 wrongful convictions. This is a widespread fraud by abuse of position in my view.
Planned and prolonged with multiple victims. Not an opportunistic fraud.
Sentencing guidelines for such a fraud would be 6 to 10 years.
This will never happen.
There is a case against Post Office Ltd. Not against individuals.
Since this is government owned, it is ordinary folks against the government with the tax payer forking out compensation.

We need one word for the Post Office Scandal. Perhaps POS ?

"Get POS done" is perhaps what we need to have shouted at the government.
Get all convictions quashed and all compensation payments finalised before the general election.
GET IT DONE.
They have been through enough. And enough is enough.

This won't happen either. Its going to drag on for several more years.

Complete and utter failure of government and judicial system was on our tv screens this week.
Largest miscarriage of justice in our country's history.
Was the CPS involved at any time ?
If not then this should be a lesson to government.
No organisation should be able to just prosecute their own cases!

The CPS would have seen a link hopefully??
So the “ your the only one “ would have been spotted earlier.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amanda and Alan's Italian Job. Okay, I'd rather be tasered down below than watch Amanda Holden normally but on this occasion I can let it go. They've bought a run down house in Tuscany for €1 and will spend the summer doing it up. It's really a fun look at Tuscany, beautiful, with a bit of house renovation thrown in.

Lots of fun, lovely scenery, happy days

4LEX

Visit site
Was the CPS involved at any time ?
If not then this should be a lesson to government.
No organisation should be able to just prosecute their own cases!

The CPS would have seen a link hopefully??
So the “ your the only one “ would have been spotted earlier.

I think you've got too much faith in the CPS, Police and the goverment. All three aren't fit for purpose!

What this needs is a huge private case against certain individuals. I'm sure a GoFundMe would raise enough to pay for the cream of the crop to take those to task and hopefully ruin their lives.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Amanda and Alan's Italian Job. Okay, I'd rather be tasered down below than watch Amanda Holden normally but on this occasion I can let it go. They've bought a run down house in Tuscany for €1 and will spend the summer doing it up. It's really a fun look at Tuscany, beautiful, with a bit of house renovation thrown in.

Enjoyed the first series last year. Was surprised they made a second one though as it looks to be exactly the same as the first one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The Traitors…reality/game TV par excellence.

Thought a 2nd series couldn’t work as well as the 1st as the competitors would be ‘knowing’…would have learned tactics and how to play from S1. Well they might well have thought so, and may well have done so, but after three episodes any ‘knowing’ has not really showed up. Great TV.

My Mrs didnt watch S1 and was a bit non-committal when we sat down yesterday evening to watch S2E1. We’ll just watch one as I want to watch the thing about the Post Offices…says she. Three episodes in a row later and she is groaning at the cliff-hanger ending of e3…as we have to now wait for 4. She’s hooked.

And oh yes…the tasks look better - especially with the twist of shields being available every task.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Enjoyed the first series last year. Was surprised they made a second one though as it looks to be exactly the same as the first one.
Don't mess with a winning formula 😄. They moved it to a different part of Italy but I don't mind that it's the same. Seeing Tuscany at it's best whilst we are in the misery of January, that will do for me 👍

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Brief glimpses suggest it’s our sort of tv…though with same Holden caveat.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't mess with a winning formula 😄. They moved it to a different part of Italy but I don't mind that it's the same. Seeing Tuscany at it's best whilst we are in the misery of January, that will do for me 👍
I'll watch it for the same reasons, but it does strike me as daytime tv in the evening, if you know what I mean😀

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
The Post Office Scandal has been on my mind all day and every day this week.
Spent a lot of time finding out more about the true story.
Government owned business, but with little or no scrutiny of its operations by government and the government put nothing in place to do any scrutiny.
Thus we had a case of CEO with absolute power. And what does absolute power do according to a 19th century adage?

700 wrongful convictions. This is a widespread fraud by abuse of position in my view.
Planned and prolonged with multiple victims. Not an opportunistic fraud.
Sentencing guidelines for such a fraud would be 6 to 10 years.
This will never happen.
There is a case against Post Office Ltd. Not against individuals.
Since this is government owned, it is ordinary folks against the government with the tax payer forking out compensation.

We need one word for the Post Office Scandal. Perhaps POS ?

"Get POS done" is perhaps what we need to have shouted at the government.
Get all convictions quashed and all compensation payments finalised before the general election.
GET IT DONE.
They have been through enough. And enough is enough.

This won't happen either. Its going to drag on for several more years.

Complete and utter failure of government and judicial system was on our tv screens this week.
Largest miscarriage of justice in our country's history.

Whilst I totally agree with your viewpoint, what this absolutely isn’t is fraud by abuse of position or, indeed, a fraud of any kind. For a person to have committed this offence they have to have done so intending to make a gain themselves or cause another to make a loss.

I can’t see how any individual at the PO has made a gain as a result of any alleged activities. And I think it would be equally difficult, at least legally, to prove that they had intended another to make a loss. It is indisputable that many people made losses, but for the offence of fraud to be made out in a court it must be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant INTENDED for that loss to come about. I’m less than convinced that is what went on here. Incompetence of breathtaking proportions and on an industrial scale, perhaps. But fraud? Probably not.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Whilst I totally agree with your viewpoint, what this absolutely isn’t is fraud by abuse of position or, indeed, a fraud of any kind. For a person to have committed this offence they have to have done so intending to make a gain themselves or cause another to make a loss.

I can’t see how any individual at the PO has made a gain as a result of any alleged activities. And I think it would be equally difficult, at least legally, to prove that they had intended another to make a loss. It is indisputable that many people made losses, but for the offence of fraud to be made out in a court it must be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant INTENDED for that loss to come about. I’m less than convinced that is what went on here. Incompetence of breathtaking proportions and on an industrial scale, perhaps. But fraud? Probably not.
I agree with you that a case of fraud will not be brought against individuals.

Sub-postmasters were accused and prosecuted for causing financial losses to the Post Office.
They were forced to pay money to the Post Office. This caused them, the sub-postmasters, to sufferer a loss.

The Post Office obtained money from the sub-postmasters wrongfully.
At some point, over the years, it became obvious that the postmasters were not at fault, but the persecution continued, knowingly and wilfully, by individuals at the Post Office who knew that it was Horizon fault.

The Post Office should be found guilty of an equal and opposite crime of taking money that did not belong to them. (Theft?)
I believe individuals are responsible for this.
Whether individuals can be held to be culpable or even accountable for this, I find very unlikely.
They are morally guilty, but unlikely to be found criminally guilty.

There may be cases of withholding evidence from an enquiry or perverting the course of justice, but I doubt that these will be brought either.
We can only wait and see.

I believe there may be a call for the Post Office to pay the £46 million costs of the other side in the 2019/2020 action. This would allow a greater re-imbursement for the 555.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I agree with you that a case of fraud will not be brought against individuals.

Sub-postmasters were accused and prosecuted for causing financial losses to the Post Office.
They were forced to pay money to the Post Office. This caused them, the sub-postmasters, to sufferer a loss.

The Post Office obtained money from the sub-postmasters wrongfully.
At some point, over the years, it became obvious that the postmasters were not at fault, but the persecution continued, knowingly and wilfully, by individuals at the Post Office who knew that it was Horizon fault.

The Post Office should be found guilty of an equal and opposite crime of taking money that did not belong to them. (Theft?)
I believe individuals are responsible for this.
Whether individuals can be held to be culpable or even accountable for this, I find very unlikely.
They are morally guilty, but unlikely to be found criminally guilty.

There may be cases of withholding evidence from an enquiry or perverting the course of justice, but I doubt that these will be brought either.
We can only wait and see.

I believe there may be a call for the Post Office to pay the £46 million costs of the other side in the 2019/2020 action. This would allow a greater re-imbursement for the 555.

Agree absolutely that there are individuals in the PO hierarchy who should be held to account, and if they are proven to have broken any laws, they should be prosecuted. Just not for fraud and, equally, they’ve probably not committed theft.

Fraud can be an absolute nightmare to prove in court, especially if it’s corporate, and I pity any juror who has to sit through a complex fraud case. I have long believed that such hearings should be held in front of a jury with some degree of expert knowledge, such are the complexities, but then you could say the same for any case where any complex forensic evidence is key.

Theft is relatively straightforward in most cases. There are four points to prove to make out an offence of theft, and without boring anyone, all I will say is that I think it highly unlikely that any individual on the PO side has committed it.

All of which means that this is probably far less straightforward to untangle than it probably appears at first glance. That said, it remains abundantly clear that, organisationally, the PO have behaved appallingly. And it must therefore follow that there are individuals who should be held accountable. If, by being held accountable, it means they are dragged through the courts and potentially found to have committed criminal offences, whatever those offences may be, then I will be absolutely delighted.

That’s scant reward for those whose lives have been destroyed. But it’s a start.