Trying to break 100- The 3 Goals Method

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
After constantly shooting 110+ I gave it a go, after 9 holes I shot 45, i carried on and hit 96,first time I broke 100 on my course, so I will be carrying on with it,many thanx for the advice

:thup::thup::thup:

using this method you still have to have consistent shots. don't duff it off the tee, it also puts a bit of pressure on the approach.

Could not agree more with this, the only way to make it work is to practice those 100 yards and in shots as you will be hitting a LOT of them!

The thing this method reduces is shots wasted behind trees, balls/shots lost from trying silly shots.

I should have used it on one hole yesterday, with it I could have got 6 and a point with ease, by not using it I took a 7 due to ending up having to take an unplayable lie! All because I played the silly shot! In my defence it was a 4ball team event and we were pretty much set on last place anyway.

A little bit of 3 goals method helped my team enjoy the day but I think we all had picked the top 3 groups before the round started, that does not ruin the day as a lot of money was raised for charity again.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm playing 9 holes tomorrow for the first time in months (busy at work blah blah blah).

I will be very rusty, and so it seems like an ideal time to give this a proper try. Avoid trying to hit the ball 200 yards to the green with a hybrid when I've not swung a club in months etc. Two easy 7 irons best.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've just had a couple of back to basics lessons and wore holes in both hands hitting balls at the weekend - day off today and intended going to the range or practice ground, but not sure my hands would have held up to battering 100 balls.

Having read this thread this morning I plastered up the hands and went out to play a dozen holes after lunch and although I hit driver, three wood or hybrid off the tee I pretty much stuck to the principles of this after the tee shot (wasn't really in trouble off the tee or I'd have been hitting irons for that bit too) - excellent way to practice, don't thrash it - play for position and leave yourself a full shot into the green.

Thanks for reviving this post - I'd missed the original posting - I hadn't intended golfing for a while with my new swing but it was fine and I can see me being out on the course a fair bit this winter.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Has any high handicapper took this on board and actually achieved it ? very curious because if you haven't then why not ?

My dozen holes yesterday included the full first nine - shot 45 which is decent for me at the moment - if I'd hit irons off the tee I don't think it would have been much different - the magic of this method to me is it takes any self imposed 'whack it as close to the green as possible' out of the game - hit what you are comfortable with and don't get into trouble - On long par fours/fives I hit a six iron for my second (I'm not a big hitter) - left me comfortable distance to the greens.

I'm 21 handicap on an Open Qualifying course and haven't played to it recently, pretty sure I could using this method

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm playing 9 holes tomorrow for the first time in months (busy at work blah blah blah).

I will be very rusty, and so it seems like an ideal time to give this a proper try. Avoid trying to hit the ball 200 yards to the green with a hybrid when I've not swung a club in months etc. Two easy 7 irons best.

So worked quite well really, 51, plus a blob. Good in that it took out the ambitious decision. I used the driver three times. Once when I shouldn't have, and ended up in the trees which cost me 3 or 4 shots, once where I needed to get some distance from the tee to get to a wider bit of fairway, and that ended in the light rough to the right but ok, and then on the last because it was the last and I hit it sweetly down the middle.

I never used a hybrid, because I was never trying to hit that distance. Played a lot of 5 and 7 irons, which helped with the rhythm of the round too.

What you do need to be able to do is hit consistent shots, else you are 150 yds from the green say, top it, and so are 140 yds away. That inconsistency, born of my rustiness, cost me a bit. It was definitely a good strategy, and I scored at least 10 shots better than when I last played that nine hole combination.

When the rust has gone, I see that this will be an especially worthwhile approach.

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Since I took up golf a few months ago I have always tried to play like I see on the tv smash driver off every tee chip on from 10 yards etc and basically I suck bad! I'm going to take up advice and probably leave my driver and woods in the car and go with a simple plan

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tried this today....shot 21 points. :-/ will try again tomorrow.

Let us know how you get on :)

Good luck

EDIT:

Any reason why just 21 points? Was it your game plan OR your bad shots?

I find making my bad shots better really helps me get the most out of a game plan.

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
Let us know how you get on :)

Good luck

EDIT:

Any reason why just 21 points? Was it your game plan OR your bad shots?

I find making my bad shots better really helps me get the most out of a game plan.

Safe to say it didn't work. You did ok yesterday though so why the change
i was level par for the par 3s but I'm over drawing everything. Driver, 3 wood, but long irons I'm deadly. Around the 150yd mark and in so its my 8 iron and up I'm just pulling them left its pathetic. What didn't help too is that I was playing off 8 handicap in the roll up group. Just wasn't happening. I was chatting to jamie (assistant pro) and we are going out for a friendly 9 holes and he said he would look at what I'm doing wrong. I always play pretty well with jamie as we have a giggle pulling off ridiculous shots. It's defiantly psychological as last Thursday I got 39 points off the same handicap. I can see how this system works as a few holes it really made it easy picking what play to do. 9 th hole par 4 into the wind heeled a driver really bad to the left had about 220 to the green could of used 3 hybrid but choose 7 iron nice little smooth chippy down the middle really concentrating on getting in the middle which left a 70 yard chip. Lob wedge to 2ft left of the pin tap in par. Easy. Don't worry homer I will be back firing on all cylinders for winter knockout. I'm just trying to make a name for myself as the guy who plays like a 28 handicap but plays off 14 hahaha.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used it on Saturday on a 9 holer and shot my best score to date on that course. Only by two shots though.... but still.

I need to try it out on the 18 hole course at Richmond Park and see how I get on there as well. So far so good, but I think it will be a case of using it consistently to see the real benefits. I am worried that I am going to lose shots by just using my irons as well as my Rocketbladez are 4-PW. For now though, I think I will continue to see shots dropping off until I can get a little better with my hybrid and fairway woods?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it will be a case of using it consistently to see the real benefits. I am worried that I am going to lose shots by just using my irons

My old pro used to say you can get anywhere with three good 5 irons.

To prove it he played 9 holes with just a 5 iron and shot +1

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My old pro used to say you can get anywhere with three good 5 irons.

To prove it he played 9 holes with just a 5 iron and shot +1

Which is fine if you can hit a 5 iron well. My biggest issue with this approach is I would sometimes take a "sensible" club off the tee and just simply chunk it 10 yards into the rubbish, where as if I'd just taken a driver I may well be off the fairway, but 200 yards or so nearer the pin :)

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
Tried again today. The basis of this really works. Doesn't work when you have the hooks.

todays score over 16 holes (2 holes shut) was................... 16 points.

Martin I think we are in trouble mate.