Trying to break 100- The 3 Goals Method

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i have a method which i use before a round. it is similar to treating every hole like a par 5 which has been mentioned here but i take a different approach.

basically the maths of it is if you hit 5 on every hole you make 90. so you have 9 'grace shots' over the round. if you shoot a 4 on the first hole, then you have 10 for the remaining 17 and so on.

that way you can shoot a 7 or 8 and not let it get to you, as you know it can be clawed back on a par 3 for example.

i find this helps your mindset, but what it does mean is that that grace shot tally is always in your mind!

I have a friend that always keeps track of his score by comparing it to level 5's, even though he plays off 10!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a friend that always keeps track of his score by comparing it to level 5's, even though he plays off 10!

For people playing off high handicaps this places too much pressure on par 5s and par 3s. They take risks thinking they have to get on and par the long holes when they should be playing safe. They also then want to take advantage of par 3s too much and take too many risks again.

My 3 goals method takes the pressure off and gives realistic goals.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So did anyone use this over the weekend or did the weather get in the way?

I used it on a couple of holes where I didnt play an ideal tee or second shot.

It saved me a couple of shots but on a couple of occasions my short game let me down when I took a good decision to lay up.

Thankfully the worst score I had was a 7 and that was after hooking a shot off a perfect lie OB :eek: Apart from that the worst was a 6 and I nearly shot my handicap.

I am curious to see if this ACTUALLY works for anyone else or if its just too passive an approach.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Weather stopped play sadly

This could work for everybody even how to break 80,90 etc if you follow the same clever thought process

when you start playing nobody actually explains this to you and you rack up high scores because of poor course management and poor games skills

I now evaluate every shot as safe, risk, high risk and this helps me alot with keeping the shots within my skill set

In the past i would compound my errors

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a great indoor lesson (due to the weather) on Saturday, most of which was mental preparation, and dealing with the course, along with your game plan I can't wait to hit the course ASAP.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scienceboy- I shot an equal PB in the howling rain and wind on Friday and whilst I still took my driver out on every hole which allowed it, the thinking behind my second shot really changed.

No longer was I reaching for the hybrid, rather I would take out a 6, 7 or even 9 iron out the bag to lay up.

Also, I had no qualms laying up short on par 3s, even picked up a couple of pars doing so.

It has really taken a bit of pressure off my game and is quite suited to me, particularly as I'm striking the irons well. This is important because there's no point trying to lay up with an iron shot and shanking the ball into a bunker.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well ScienceBoy, not a complete success, but a heck of an improvement, the main problems was when things went wrong, I lapsed back into getting frustrated and forgot the plan. What i did do was write the targets at the top of the score card FAIRWAY 150 GREEN, so every time I wrote the score it reminded me, which helped. I played the harder of our courses today and shot 104, four pars, four bogeys, four double bogeys, the ones that got away were due to poor chipping onto the greens or duff shot after duff shot, (thinking about the previous shot not the one I was taking). When things went wrong but I still made the target, the look on my mates face as I strode happily down the fairway was a sight, I enjoyed the round a lot more because of the little victories, and because I was upbeat I think I played better. Thanks for your advice.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is a great approach. when i get out of position this is what I do to make bogey at worst!

I find this true, as I have said before this approach is my game plan. I shoot in the 80s with it because I often do two goals at once. That will come one day for those looking to break 100 but for them its best to focus one at a time, it can only be the difference of 12 shots a round at most if our putting, chipping and short games are roughly equal.

I know with this game plan I can have a bad day and still shoot low 90s, what it does do however is stop me shooting very low scores as it is not that aggressive. It can yield birdies but only usually on shorter par 5s and short par 3s.

Glad my game plan is helping others, I hope it continues to help. It is certainly helping me be consistent.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
through the concept of laying up it takes out the risks attached to going for the green with the longer clubs. i have been spouting on here about the dangers of 3 woods and long clubs in general for the higher handicapped player.

if they stuck to these rules they would quite easily, as long as they are are not duffing, shoot well under their handicap.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried this approach out last weekend.

I found it helpful. My main comment is that it puts more pressure on the short game, but I see that as a good thing. It is something that is incredibly important (the most important part of the game I would say). I think once I have a better short game (I'm working hard on it) I will be able to crack 90 applying this approach.

To give an example of the kind of thing that happened, my course has a par 5 with a river in front of the green. My approach to this was to lay-up with my third shot. However, I still proceeded to double bogey by playing a terrible pitch and then taking a further 3 shots to get the ball in the hole.

It does focus the mind on what the most important skill in golf is - getting the ball in the hole!! I played at what is a much easier course than my usual haunt last Saturday and still only managed a 92. This was mostly because both courses have one fundamental thing in common, even if it is far simpler to reach the green, the hole is still the same size.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I tried this approach out last weekend.

I found it helpful. My main comment is that it puts more pressure on the short game, but I see that as a good thing.

My short game, mainly 100 yards and in, is the part of the game I enjoy the most. I also feel very confident from that range. Therefore my game plan is to set up my good short game and give it a chance to score. As I get better from 150 yards and in (approach shots) I think my scores should come down from mid/high 80s to regular low 80s, eventually 70s. I know that to get into mid/low 70s I need to be more aggressive than this game plan is.

scouse4313

Medal Winner
Visit site
i tried this on monday, i must say that with a combination of a new swing and this plan ( with a few dangerous shots thrown in as they wher just on the i can hit that area ;)) i achieved to score par on my handicap :) it could have been better but threw a few 3 putts in and a few shots past the green with wedge as the wind took control. All in all a very good plan :)

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried it in part but putting into play fully from now on. Last weekend the swing deserted me and no amout of tactics would have helped lol! This weekend took everything slower and smoother with great results apart from a mini melt down in the middle and shot my best back nine ever. Keep the ball in play, no heroics leaving myself distances I'm comfortable with. Nearly had my first par on my nemesis 14th a long par 4, the only hole I've not parred! Took the bogey as I would every week.

Will keep you informed!

Fitz

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty much in the same situation as your mate, struggling to break 100. My main weakness is using long irons and or hybrid from the fairway, there's always a duff ed shot more often than I would prefer. Mainly use my 3 wood off long holes but keeping it on the fairway is 50 50 so there's always the temptation to get the driver out to get more distance.
Playing my first 18 holes since January on Saturday at a new course at bar hill Menzies so will adopt this method as much as possible to avoid holding up the rest of the field searching for lost balls after another hooked shot off the tee . Then will try to get another 18 in on Monday at New Malto n on a course I know to see if I can break the magic number.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going to give this a go when I next play in the next couple of weeks. I've scored a 108 on a shortish course, and my most recent round (my 12th ever) was a 110 (out in 52, so there's a game there somewhere) for 28 points off 28 on a proper length (6100 yds) course.

gripitripit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing my first 18 holes since January on Saturday at a new course at bar hill Menzies so will adopt this method as much as possible to avoid holding up the rest of the field searching for lost balls after another hooked shot off the tee . Then will try to get another 18 in on Monday at New Malto n on a course I know to see if I can break the magic number.

What time are you off at Barhill? I playing midday Sat.