Trying to break 100- The 3 Goals Method

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw the OP for the first time, earlier this week and it really made sense to me. I have been playing for nearly a year and I have broken 100 once. I played yesterday, and played, just to achieve the goals. I am not a big hitter and I found that I was using my 5 iron successfully, in place of my 4 hybrid or 5 wood. Sometimes the longer clubs work and sometimes they don't!

I don't know how many strokes I may have saved, but the satisfaction of staying either on, or very near the fairway, certainly boosted my confidence and my enjoyment of the game. As a consequence, I believe my pitches to the green from 120 yards or less, were made without the desperation that I sometimes feel. I went round in 104 and will certainly continue to play with the aim of achieving these three goals. The day when my handicap falls below 28 is getting closer.

Fantastic news that!

Laying up on a par 3 and sinking a par putt is my favourite thing to do. Especially when playing partners make a double by trying to get a birdie.

With good putting and pitching this method can work. All you need to do is spend some time dialing in your half and 3/4 shots from 7 irons and below. These shots are easier to control than full shots too!

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
I will certainly be trying this next time, my current best being 110. I have started to play a lot on my own as I find people to play with a struggle, so this will give me something to concentrate on as being new I have no plan and usually just end up hitting balls with no structure etc . Will hopefully join my first club in the spring and as I improve my confidence will grow I can start to play with others and meet new people.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I will certainly be trying this next time, my current best being 110. I have started to play a lot on my own as I find people to play with a struggle, so this will give me something to concentrate on as being new I have no plan and usually just end up hitting balls with no structure etc . Will hopefully join my first club in the spring and as I improve my confidence will grow I can start to play with others and meet new people.

This method came about as the guy I was playing with had a regular playing partner who would only define a "Good" shot (ie a golf shot) as one that was what I would define as "Perfect". We all know golf is not a game of perfect so we set about redefining a "Good" shot as one that achieves its intended goal.

If you top a driver but it still gets on the fairway, you have still done goal one, then proceed to get inside 150 safely, then try to get on the green.

Say on a 400 yard par 4 you top it 60 yards leaving 340 to the pin, in other words you have 190 yards to the 150 (goal 2).

So goal 1 is made, lets make goal 2 and 3. The best way is to set up to make goal 2 which then sets up to make goal 3, working backwards from the green is best.

So say we know we can hit a half PW really well about 50 yards, lets leave that. We now have 290 to cover in 2 shots, that is 2 simple 7/6 irons.

So we have 50 yards left after 3 shots. A simple pitch to make goal 3 (don't try too hard to go close, make the goal instead!), then one putt for bogey, two for a double. The hole has not been made any worse , it could easy become an 8 or 9. At worst we walk off with a 6, there are plenty of other holes to make up a good score, why try and do it on one which is already not looking good!

It is very defensive golf but as confidence improves suddenly the worst score is a double bogey and rounds under 100 soon follow!

As you get better you can turn a topped drive into a bogey or even a par. I have topped drives and then hit a nice hybrid to pitching range, before getting up and down. The same on par 5s, I have hit my 4th shot from over 100 out and holed out for par.

It comes down to ensuring you know your 1/2 and 3/4 distances for all clubs from 7 iron and down AND practicing holing out from 6 feet and under. I like to practice from 6 feet to a 5p at home on the carpet (working on a nice neutral putting grip with my V-Easy).

Last edited:

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I have learnt more in reading that one post than anything else so far in three months of playing it sounds so simple. I think my problem is I try to over complicate things etc when the ability isn't their yet. I have just purchased a v easy and impact ball as suggested on the training aids thread.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I have learnt more in reading that one post than anything else so far in three months of playing it sounds so simple. I think my problem is I try to over complicate things etc when the ability isn't their yet. I have just purchased a v easy and impact ball as suggested on the training aids thread.

Without the basics of good posture, good setup and good rhythm (transition) the 3 goals method is of little use.

I focus my practice at home on GASP (grip, aim, stance, posture) and putting. I can do these in my living room, in a mirror, on a carpet. I also use GASP as my preshot routine.

GRIP- I take this with the club to my side and slightly infront for my left hand, replicating its angles as they would be at address, I then bring it in front and join the right hand to the club. (think walking a dog on a lead with your left hand, not too far out but also not at your side)

AIM- I had prior to grip picked a spot in front of me, inline with my target line, I aim at this point by getting both my feet and shoulders parallel.

STANCE- I position my feet along a parallel line to my shot path. This needs practice with alignment sticks as perception from above is distorted. I was amazed at how closed I could get when I did not practice this often!

POSTURE - "Athletic" is my thought, this is a combination of spine, hands, shoulder alignment and knee bend. Best place to learn this is with your pro! Once you have had a few lessons you will have your own thoughts here.

Now you can play the shot, one point is to not allow tension to build through the routine, it takes practice to do a pre-shot routine without building in tension.

Last edited:

Maccy

Club Champion
Visit site
So I gave this a try yesterday and I think it actually helped! I had to adjust my grip in my right hand as some things were going wrong, but once I focussed on the 3 goals my play started improving!
Granted I'm still shooting over 100 but it was an improvement over last week's round so got something to build on!

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
havent read all the posts but seriously guys- if you've been playing for a few years or even over a year consistently, and if you have no physical disability, then a few lessons with the pro and you'll break 100.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
havent read all the posts but seriously guys- if you've been playing for a few years or even over a year consistently, and if you have no physical disability, then a few lessons with the pro and you'll break 100.

Totally spot on!

Until your mind starts to get in the way that is.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This method came about as the guy I was playing with had a regular playing partner who would only define a "Good" shot (ie a golf shot) as one that was what I would define as "Perfect". We all know golf is not a game of perfect so we set about redefining a "Good" shot as one that achieves its intended goal.

If you top a driver but it still gets on the fairway, you have still done goal one, then proceed to get inside 150 safely, then try to get on the green.

Say on a 400 yard par 4 you top it 60 yards leaving 340 to the pin, in other words you have 190 yards to the 150 (goal 2).

So goal 1 is made, lets make goal 2 and 3. The best way is to set up to make goal 2 which then sets up to make goal 3, working backwards from the green is best.

So say we know we can hit a half PW really well about 50 yards, lets leave that. We now have 290 to cover in 2 shots, that is 2 simple 7/6 irons.

So we have 50 yards left after 3 shots. A simple pitch to make goal 3 (don't try too hard to go close, make the goal instead!), then one putt for bogey, two for a double. The hole has not been made any worse , it could easy become an 8 or 9. At worst we walk off with a 6, there are plenty of other holes to make up a good score, why try and do it on one which is already not looking good!

It is very defensive golf but as confidence improves suddenly the worst score is a double bogey and rounds under 100 soon follow!

No too dissimiliar to the New Golf Thinking methodology with a career shot execution. For each shot you are trying for perfection (a career shot). Chances are you may not pull it off but may hit a score improver, score maintainer or a score worsener. As an example, a mid iron to 3 foot would be an improver, a second down the middle of a par 5 is a maintainer and a slice into trouble or water would be worsener. The aim is simply to cut the worseners and it's down to the player to decide what constitutes each category

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi ScienceBoy. I think you've come up with a good guidline for those at the level you're talking about ie trying to break 100, and with a bit of practice and keeping sight of this method I think you'd struggle not achieving it so good advice :thup:

I would add that almost every new 'method' that comes out really comes down to one thing - know your game, especially your limitaions. Would I lay up on a par 3? Not a hope. Would I score better if I did? Not a chance. But that's to do with my strengths and weaknesses - I'm a long hitter and chipping around the green is a strength. Would I score better if I considered laying up on the occasional par 5? Possibly as long as I left myself a full shot in. I just think you need to know your own game and play smart bearing it in mind.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just joined the forum today and found this thread which resonated with me.
My brother and I used to play the odd game about around 20 years ago but usually less than half a dozen games a year. We're really poor golfers but enjoyed it.
We both retired recently and decided to take up the game again.

Anyway - It soon became apparent that most of our bad scores could be dramaticlly reduced by playing more percentage golf and we occasionally sort of play the 3 goal plan without ever hearing of it before.
Basically we'll look at the length of the hole and tell each other we'll just try to reach the 150 marker in 2 or 3 then we'll be in pitch + Putt range (the club we play at has P+P with a 148 yarder)

The only problem I have in keeping to the plan is that I occasionally try a more ambitious shot that I know I'm capable of pulling off now and again. When I mess it up I wish I'd played safe but how do you improve if you don't go for it now and again.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just joined the forum today and found this thread which resonated with me.
My brother and I used to play the odd game about around 20 years ago but usually less than half a dozen games a year. We're really poor golfers but enjoyed it.
We both retired recently and decided to take up the game again.

Anyway - It soon became apparent that most of our bad scores could be dramaticlly reduced by playing more percentage golf and we occasionally sort of play the 3 goal plan without ever hearing of it before.
Basically we'll look at the length of the hole and tell each other we'll just try to reach the 150 marker in 2 or 3 then we'll be in pitch + Putt range (the club we play at has P+P with a 148 yarder)

The only problem I have in keeping to the plan is that I occasionally try a more ambitious shot that I know I'm capable of pulling off now and again. When I mess it up I wish I'd played safe but how do you improve if you don't go for it now and again.

Welcome along. Stick around and get stuck in

Nosevi

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Skypilot. Looking at the username and Peterborough, have you ever frequented Cottesmore or Wittering? And 150 yards on the pitch and putt - Rutland county? Just guessing :)

Re your question about going for the 'optimistic shot', kind of depends if you practice in between rounds or if the rounds are the practice. I have a few shots on my home course that are optimistic...... but I know what they are so I practice them between rounds. When I start to pull them off a bit more regularly in practice, I go for them on the course.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Used to live at Wittering when dad was based there many years ago.
P+P is at Thorney GC. Not very well maintained unfortunately but most of the holes are over a 100 yds so great for short iron practice.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Very late to this party, but looking at the OP, it could be me being described. I will give this 3 goal plan a go. All makes perfect sense, & should be common sense in a way.

Let's see what happens!

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
Well I'm glad this thread has been resurrected, just reading through I can picture times when I've been in the same situation was the person shooting over 100.

Am I allowed to change goal 2 though? Feel like get it within 100 before looking to the green would be more achievable, I tried to find the green on the 3rd from around 150 in the rough a couple of weeks back. I found the path between the 4th tee box and fairway instead :eek:.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well I'm glad this thread has been resurrected, just reading through I can picture times when I've been in the same situation was the person shooting over 100.

Am I allowed to change goal 2 though? Feel like get it within 100 before looking to the green would be more achievable, I tried to find the green on the 3rd from around 150 in the rough a couple of weeks back. I found the path between the 4th tee box and fairway instead :eek:.

You can change the goal but in your example you don't need to, finding the fairway comes first!

Three goals method can be distilled into "Play the shot that makes the next one easy", all the detail I gave is just about a succession of shots, each one played to make the next easy.

It does lean on the short game a little but that's the best place to focus on saving shots once you start progressing the golf ball, ie more hits than duffs and misses!

This method does advocate laying up on par 3s over 150, which is not to everyone's taste!

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Partially agree with your advice.
Goal 1: hit the fairway. Agreed. Tell your pal to leave his driver in the garage and use a 5W.
Goal 2: get inside 150yds? Doesn't your drive do this? After hitting the fairway, I would have preferred Goal 2 to be 'get within 30 yards of the green'.
Goal 3: hit the green - easier said than done for a high handicapper. I would have said Goal 3: get down in 3 shots max.
Then he would be playing bogey golf, with potential to go lower as his short game improves.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Goal 1: hit the fairway. Agreed. Tell your pal to leave his driver in the garage and use a 5W.
Goal 2: get inside 150yds? Doesn't your drive do this? After hitting the fairway, I would have preferred Goal 2 to be 'get within 30 yards of the green'.
Goal 3: hit the green - easier said than done for a high handicapper. I would have said Goal 3: get down in 3 shots max.
Then he would be playing bogey golf, with potential to go lower as his short game improves.

That seems a reasonable modification for someone who has a good long game. Which is not me! I always aim for the up and down once I know I can get on the green safely, which is why I wrote it the way I did. Its then up to you to decide when its safe for that up and down attempt.

Would your modification helps those with a weaker short game who just need to get green side before going up and down but can hit woods well? Or have I misunderstood? If so then that's a great way for someone like that to play to their strengths!

Two points is I disagree with; leaving the driver in the garage, if you find the fairway, use whatever club you need! Also you shouldn't merge goals 1 and 2 together, keeping them seperate is key to the method. If you do happen to do them together that's fine but just don't seperate the goals!

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Wont answer for scienceboy but I'm guessing you adjust distances based on how far (& accurately) you hit it. Leaving out forum distance claims few (that this post is aimed at) will be inside 150 on a normal length course with driver let alone dropping to a 5w (I think I read that the Old Course has measured distance off the first tee for 9,000 players and the average driving was something like 190 yards)

Also I think this 3 goal plan is taking each shot in any hole, whereas a goal of 'get down in 3 shots' is quite broad and still leaves a lot of missing guidance on managing those three shots

edit: I see he's answered already