Trying to break 100- The 3 Goals Method

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair comments to my reply. I guess what I am saying is:
(a) hit the fairway. I see so many high handicappers using a driver and putting the ball into the rubbish. I meant that a good drive should reach the 150 yd marker not the 5W.
(b) get within 30 yds of the green. You don't need to be a big hitter to do this. After the 5W, a reasonable donk with a hybrid will achieve this goal.
(c) get down in 3 or less. Gets you in the good habit of being a good chipper and pitcher.
When I was a high handicapper, I had this advice from my local pro and very quickly dropped to a 17 handicap. I have gone on from there but this was my first big break as it were.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair comments to my reply.

Thanks, appreciate the response too!

The most important thinga are keep the ball in play, play the shot that makes the next shot easier and play to your strengths, if you need to modify a plan to do that, as you are doing, then do it! Far better to have a plan than not.

Edited to correct grammar.

Last edited:

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
The beauty of this method is it is clear, simple and breaks the game down into manageable pieces. It needs your own input as you progress and improve some areas faster than others but it's goals and aims remain as a framework to build upon. You then just change the goals to suit your game and your level of progression. If you don't have any time to practice and simply want to get the ball around in 100 or less to enjoy the fresh air and time with friends/family without getting frustrated it really is the best thing I have ever come across.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The beauty of this method is it is clear, simple and breaks the game down into manageable pieces. It needs your own input as you progress and improve some areas faster than others but it's goals and aims remain as a framework to build upon. You then just change the goals to suit your game and your level of progression. If you don't have any time to practice and simply want to get the ball around in 100 or less to enjoy the fresh air and time with friends/family without getting frustrated it really is the best thing I have ever come across.

I will be the first to admit it's not perfect or great for low scoring. As you said its great for those who want it. If you can get enjoyment from following an executing a plan like me then it is for you too. Everyone plays golf differently and I don't follow this all the time, it takes discipline to stick to.

Use it or don't, modify it or not. Just enjoy golf :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you don't have any time to practice and simply want to get the ball around in 100 or less to enjoy the fresh air and time with friends/family without getting frustrated it really is the best thing I have ever come across.

I forgot to say I really appreciate your comments, it's nice to hear you say those things. I just wanted to help people by sharing my approach that got me some success. The overwhelmingly positive responses and success stories are great and when it has made a difference I feel really happy for them.

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I will definitely give this a go next time I am out.

I am around the 200 yd drive mark. So some of the par 4's I can do the fairway & within 150 in 1, but the longer 4's & 5's this plan fits perfectly.

As you say it is a guide to make the game less daunting to the high handicappers & make it a far more manageable & enjoyable experience.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First thing is first, hit the ball cleanly and consistently. That's the first challenge for a high handicapper.

Once you are hitting it cleanly, then this method is the right approach to really start seeing the big scores come tumbling down.

I think consistency in hitting is the first and biggest stumbling block for any fledgling golfer.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
First thing is first, hit the ball cleanly and consistently. That's the first challenge for a high handicapper.

Once you are hitting it cleanly, then this method is the right approach to really start seeing the big scores come tumbling down.

I think consistency in hitting is the first and biggest stumbling block for any fledgling golfer.

100% correct but this can be done on the range. Any level of beginner golfer can take this method to the course.

Is it not better to try and hit the right shot than hit the wrong one and make scoring even harder?

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
100% correct but this can be done on the range. Any level of beginner golfer can take this method to the course.

Is it not better to try and hit the right shot than hit the wrong one and make scoring even harder?

Of course, but the method is only so good if you are making good contact with the ball, otherwise duffed drives, chips, putts, will all cost you unless you are hitting the ball with every club to some level of consistency.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie

I think this is from Bob Rotella who says in one of his books that a golfer who tries to perfect his ball striking before he works on scoring well will get to his death bed still wondering when it is all going to come together.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think this is from Bob Rotella who says in one of his books that a golfer who tries to perfect his ball striking before he works on scoring well will get to his death bed still wondering when it is all going to come together.

Agreed, I am not saying you shouldn't use this method whilst also focusing on hitting the ball well. All I am saying, is this method could still be be quite frustrating for the absolute beginner, if their biggest problem is slicing, hooking, fatting, thinning, and duffing! :)

I.E If you hit a ball 5 yds into the rough because you messed up your shot off the tee, then tried to get it onto the fairway but add to use a wedge, so still 300 yards out, then take 2 to get into 150, then a chip onto the green, then three putting, means that yes, you've used the method and you still need to do it as it could have been worse, but you've still shot a 8, 9 or a 10 and the method doesn't mean much to you because you're not hitting it well with your clubs.

Chicken and Egg...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You won't get the true rewards of this method until you have control of the ball.

Its like trying to build a house on poor foundations. Bound to fail.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fair comments to my reply. I guess what I am saying is:
(a) hit the fairway. I see so many high handicappers using a driver and putting the ball into the rubbish. I meant that a good drive should reach the 150 yd marker not the 5W.
(b) get within 30 yds of the green. You don't need to be a big hitter to do this. After the 5W, a reasonable donk with a hybrid will achieve this goal.
(c) get down in 3 or less. Gets you in the good habit of being a good chipper and pitcher.
When I was a high handicapper, I had this advice from my local pro and very quickly dropped to a 17 handicap. I have gone on from there but this was my first big break as it were.

In response to (a) I see so many high handicappers, myself included using a 5W or a Hybrid and putting the ball into the rubbish, just 80 yards further back in the rubbish. Sometimes the easiest club to hit is the driver. The problem comes when people try to absolutely nail it. Plus on my course, there are actually very few holes where my average drive will get me anywhere near the 150 marker, let alone a lesser club.

I kind of agree with your (b), although hitting a hybrid for a high handicapper isn't always the easiest thing to do either and a potentially puts down a temptation to chase the green. I know for example I can hit my 4 hybrid about 180 if I hit it flush. I also have the ability to top / fat / duff it all over 5 yards because I'm trying to hit it flush. I personally think goal two should be get to within 130 yards as that is PW-9I distance for most into the green and also means your 2nd shot can usually be comfortably hit with a 6 or 7iron.

Your (c) is fine in principal and is of course a good habit to get into, but it also invites more temptation for a high handicapper that can create more problems that it solves. Say they hit their drive to the fairway, hit a nice 7 iron and are now 100 yards from the green. However the pin is tucked behind a bunker on the right hand side. If they think I need to get down in 3, they may think I'm going for the pin, end up in the bunker, off to the right. I personally think goal 3 should be try to get onto the green as close to the centre as possible. So yeah, my slightly "amended" goals are:

1) Hit the fairway
2) Get within 130 yards of the green
3) Get on the green as close to the centre as possible

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
Agreed, I am not saying you shouldn't use this method whilst also focusing on hitting the ball well. All I am saying, is this method could still be be quite frustrating for the absolute beginner, if their biggest problem is slicing, hooking, fatting, thinning, and duffing! :)

I.E If you hit a ball 5 yds into the rough because you messed up your shot off the tee, then tried to get it onto the fairway but add to use a wedge, so still 300 yards out, then take 2 to get into 150, then a chip onto the green, then three putting, means that yes, you've used the method and you still need to do it as it could have been worse, but you've still shot a 8, 9 or a 10 and the method doesn't mean much to you because you're not hitting it well with your clubs.

Chicken and Egg...

What the method can do though is take the pressure off of having to hit a good shot and make good contact. If you can use this method to lower your expectations and play within your limits it is going to help. You don't have to take driver off the tee to make goal 1 if a 7 irons will get the job done. You don't have to hit a fairway wood to make goal 2 another iron or wedge will do.

You might be surprised how much better a player can connect with a ball if the are 1) using a club they are comfortable with and 2) playing a shot within their limitations. If you are doing ok and making a few bogeys and even the odd par then have a try with longer clubs off the tee but if you mess it up you can shrug and say oh well all I have to do is get an iron back into the fairway and then look at goal 2 and I have lost 1 shot at most.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really interesting stuff guys! I feel as soon as a golfer can progress the ball down the hole then this is relevant. If you cannot progress the ball then it is not relevant.

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In response to (a) I see so many high handicappers, myself included using a 5W or a Hybrid and putting the ball into the rubbish, just 80 yards further back in the rubbish. Sometimes the easiest club to hit is the driver. The problem comes when people try to absolutely nail it. Plus on my course, there are actually very few holes where my average drive will get me anywhere near the 150 marker, let alone a lesser club.

I kind of agree with your (b), although hitting a hybrid for a high handicapper isn't always the easiest thing to do either and a potentially puts down a temptation to chase the green. I know for example I can hit my 4 hybrid about 180 if I hit it flush. I also have the ability to top / fat / duff it all over 5 yards because I'm trying to hit it flush. I personally think goal two should be get to within 130 yards as that is PW-9I distance for most into the green and also means your 2nd shot can usually be comfortably hit with a 6 or 7iron.

Your (c) is fine in principal and is of course a good habit to get into, but it also invites more temptation for a high handicapper that can create more problems that it solves. Say they hit their drive to the fairway, hit a nice 7 iron and are now 100 yards from the green. However the pin is tucked behind a bunker on the right hand side. If they think I need to get down in 3, they may think I'm going for the pin, end up in the bunker, off to the right. I personally think goal 3 should be try to get onto the green as close to the centre as possible. So yeah, my slightly "amended" goals are:

1) Hit the fairway
2) Get within 130 yards of the green
3) Get on the green as close to the centre as possible

Some good points there. Again, would have to agree with your hybrid comment! I struggle to hit a hybrid off the deck, so for time being I simply don't try.

I am also much better with a driver off the tee than my hybrid or 3w. Although still seeking consistency with it.

Honestly think this method is great for people shooting low to mid 90s every week.... which I suppose are high handicappers!! :) Just not beginners.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Having read this thread last year and tried to put a bit I to practice. I think the most important thing to rememberer is simply course management. And taking your medicine. I played against some older folk a while n
back. Must have struggled to hit the ball 170 with the driver but he knew how far each club went and if he went into trouble he just chipped out and carried on. Not many pars (par 3's excluded). But just as few doubles.

I'm aiming to play bogey golf atm, and after each poorer drive I seem to be left with a flush 3 wood to the green or a lay up and chip on. Invariably the lay up yields better results. When I remember to play it........

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Having read this thread last year and tried to put a bit I to practice. I think the most important thing to rememberer is simply course management. And taking your medicine. I played against some older folk a while n
back. Must have struggled to hit the ball 170 with the driver but he knew how far each club went and if he went into trouble he just chipped out and carried on. Not many pars (par 3's excluded). But just as few doubles.

I'm aiming to play bogey golf atm, and after each poorer drive I seem to be left with a flush 3 wood to the green or a lay up and chip on. Invariably the lay up yields better results. When I remember to play it........

Similar, when this thread first came out a couple of years ago I did a round leaving my driver 3w & 5w at home and took hybrid off the tees, scored 36 points because the ball was in play from the tee and I didn't chase distance for the 2nd shot

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some interesting comments on this thread. I understand the comments about using the driver. If it's your best club off the tee, then yes use it! I was indicating that you should use the club that you have the most confidence in hitting the fairway. For most high HPers it's something like a 5W. I know a lot of players subscribe to the strategy "I'm probably going to miss the fairway so I might as well miss as close to the green as possible". We have some guys come from another local club that are big hitters who subscribe to this approach. It works on their course which is open, but they fail badly on ours which is much tighter and they end up stuck behind/under a big tree.
As for the hybrid approach shot, again it's whatever you hit with confidence leaving you about 20-30 yards short of the green. This might be a 5I, 7I, hybrid, whatever. By leaving it short you cut out the slice into the bunker or the overhit into rubbish.
From 30 yards short you can put in a decent attempt at getting the ball to the hole even if its tucked away. Hitting the green from 130 yards is not easy for a high HPer; a 30 yard chip is much easier. A 28 HPer can be shown how to chip and putt in no time.

When I was taught this by our pro, I was warned that it would produce boring golf. He was right, it is boring. It's much more exciting to play big smashes with the driver and heroic recovery shots from 200 yards out. But exciting golf usually leads to bad scores, and 3 days after being shown this method by our pro I won my first medal. So this is the approach I used to get from a high HP down to 17 and then 14 pretty quickly. As my game improved I moved on to single figures, so I don't play like this now, but if a mate of mine wanted to get down to a 18HP, this is what I would teach them.