Trump Turnberry

evemccc

Visit site
R & A are crazy to make this political, one of the Best courses not holding the Open is a disgrace.

Cut your nose off to spite your face......comes to mind.

World Cup 2006 final should not have been played in Berlin Olympic Stadium due to its ‘links with Hitler’ etc etc

Let’s dig up the ‘ethical’ record of some of the corporate sponsors of the Open, and how DP World treated its ferry workers famously a year or so ago….(pretty blooming’ woefully is the answer) if we’re going to provide context for Martin Slumbers et al.

Slow hand-clap for the R&A

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Fantastic course with a great history. Lousy access, and poor infrastructure locally.

Would I want to expose the players & spectators to the inevitable protests that would occur, and with the side issue of poor press for the R&A? Trump is tainted in so many ways - anyone following the multitude of lawsuits he’s currently fighting will raise an eyebrow as to why he isn’t already in jail. I think it’s the right decision to keep Turnberry off the rota.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I watched the Insurrection documentary that the BBC showed, and I find it hard to think of the guy as just some harmless fat old clown.

He would use The Open as a massive chance to put his views across and it would all be a horrible media circus. He would probably barge in on the presentation at the end wearing his MAGA hat too. No thanks.

evemccc

Visit site
I watched the Insurrection documentary that the BBC showed, and I find it hard to think of the guy as just some harmless fat old clown.

He would use The Open as a massive chance to put his views across and it would all be a horrible media circus. He would probably barge in on the presentation at the end wearing his MAGA hat too. No thanks.

That all may be very true, and I may agree with you on most of what you’ve written - but, again, context…

I don’t think it was ‘good for democracy’ or good for societal cohesion for large swathes of the US media and basically mainstream ‘right-think’ to sustain the view that the Russians rigged the 2016 election when the Democrats lost (but miraculously didn’t seem to bother in 2020 when Biden won), and that the 2000 election was stolen

The same with Wimbledon’s decision last year with Russian players….

More realpolitik is needed by our sporting authorities methinks..

Statements about which world leader is bad / evil are fine…until you see who they don’t talk about. Mugabe’s Zimbabwean tennis players didn’t receive the same opprobrium for example

D

Deleted member 15344

World Cup 2006 final should not have been played in Berlin Olympic Stadium due to its ‘links with Hitler’ etc etc

Let’s dig up the ‘ethical’ record of some of the corporate sponsors of the Open, and how DP World treated its ferry workers famously a year or so ago….(pretty blooming’ woefully is the answer) if we’re going to provide context for Martin Slumbers et al.

Slow hand-clap for the R&A

Sorry but when did Hitler own the 2006 Olympic Stadium 🤦‍♂️

And what does the ET have to do with the R&A and The Open

You are attempting to make comparisons that aren’t there

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Turnberry is a fantastic golf course but this doesn’t mean that it should have The Open (regardless of the owner)

There are a load of factors that go into consideration when selecting a venue and Turnberry falls down on these 3 at least

Accessibility
Security
Accommodation

The likelihood of it going there is low

D-S

Visit site
Over recent times they have reintroduced Hoylake and Portrush to the rota so there is no need to go back to Turnberry. If (God forbid) he had got his orange hands on St.Andrews then there would be a far more compelling reason for some sort of compromise or effort to stage it there. The Championship is not significantly diminished by not being at Turnberry for, in Championship terms, a relatively short period of time.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's only been held there four times in total . The area is virtually inaccessible from civilisation. There may well be undiscovered lost tribes down there quoting Burns.
I reckon we should revisit other venues first. Its been a long time since it was last held in Musselburgh.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's only been held there four times in total . The area is virtually inaccessible from civilisation. There may well be undiscovered lost tribes down there quoting Burns.
I reckon we should revisit other venues first. Its been a long time since it was last held in Musselburgh.
Musselburgh. 🤣

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Good point. Why not look at adding new venues? Kingsbarns, Renaissance?
I read the other day that Prince's want it back. Seeing as it is next door to Royal St George's, you would think that all the infrastructure is effectively already in place.