Pro tournament course set up

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the European open was played at WH back in the 90's it was also a composite course. There were some holes where they played from a tee on one course to a green on the other so the hole in question that you saw may not actually exist on the scorecard.

That's an interesting point. Didnt consider that as a possibility, just assumed that they had taken selected holes from the two courses.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
just been mentioned on Commentary that a couple of holes they were playing from the ladies tee:unsure:

My understanding was it was a ladies tee on a par 5 and made a par 4 for the pros? Might have got it wrong, though i did find it a bit odd! Think they said the tee could have been a good 130 yards further back?! That may have been another hole though!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
so at your club you reg play off tee's 50 yards plus forward what it says on the tee.. i don't

Yes. A hole tomorrow could be 50 yards in front. Next week another, and previous weeks forward position moved back. Usually on our long par 3’s but also on the long par 4’s if it’s needed.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Makes you wonder why clubs think they need to lengthen their course when the world's best players play off more forward tees.

At my club in high winds we only ever have 2 tees slightly forward to stay within SSS tolerance. That of course is not a consideration for the pros.

Also annoys me when commentators clearly lie about what clubs they are hitting. Often they say 8 or 9 for about 180 yards and it's clear that they are using at least 7 as you see a straight top edge on their club.

D

Deleted member 15344

The tee boards show the yardage for the maximum length for the hole - the tees are moved around each day on the holes , sometimes they try and encourage people to take on different shots etc . Each night the pro finds out what tee is the next day and that’s also given to Sky etc who then use it for the graphics etc. They just do it to change the characteristics of each hole to make it different- that’s all.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes. A hole tomorrow could be 50 yards in front. Next week another, and previous weeks forward position moved back. Usually on our long par 3’s but also on the long par 4’s if it’s needed.
but surly if you arn't playing off the designated tee's for the specific SSS, so how does that work?

D

Deleted member 15344

but surly if you arn't playing off the designated tee's for the specific SSS, so how does that work?

A course can be set up within 100 yards ( total ) of the measured course and still be ok for HC purposes

Wolf

Visit site
so at your club you reg play off tee's 50 yards plus forward what it says on the tee.. i don't
Course ins as a member at as junior had exactly this.

For example the 3rd Hole par 3 one day could be as little as 145yds, following comp upto 200yards.

We had other holes like this as well was mainly the par 5s and par 3s that had vast teeing areas to manipulate the length & way the holes played.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Not sure if that differs from country to country, but I just looked this up and in Germany, the length of a hole is defined from a specified point in the middle of the provided teeing ground to the middle of the green. So it is not the longest the hole can play from that specific tee, but an average. It follows the middle of the fairway (so in case of a dogleg, the actual distance a player has to hit can be a lot shorter than that if he cuts the corner). I did not find any information on how large a teeing area or green can be. But you definitely can play a specific hole at different length in different comps (or comp rounds) but with the same SSS (CR in the German system) and slope.

Pro tournaments are a different matter. They set the course up however they see fit. They often change the length, par and order of the holes around so that the resulting course has very little to do the normal course setup. And why not? The course rating is completely irrelevant for them. Reasons can be that they need to make room for spectators (especially around the first tee and 18th green, which is sometimes not possible on the regular holes, they want to make a hole more "exciting" or more risk/reward like shortening a par 4 to make it driveable or a par 5 to make it more reachable in two. It's something they like to do for the last round, especially on the last few holes, since it gives potential for changes on the leaderboard late in the game.

BTW, I don't think commentators consciously lie about club selections. Why would they? They normally depend on signals given to them by the caddies, and the caddies very often have other priorities than keeping the tv world happy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Same at the Forest of Arden for the Seniors Tour event. If you added the total yardage from the boards behind each tee you'd think they were playing it well over 7000+ yards when in fact it's around 500 shorter IMO.

Would have thought the TV coverage could show the actual length for each hole on the day though...
Have to agree. There were a few pro tees, especially on pro-am day that were forward of what the yardage boards were saying. For my tuppence though I don't really care what they hit into each hole so if they go iron and then iron on long par fours as long as it's entertaining to watch that'll do for me. There is still run at WH and no-one seems to bothered at the Open when they hit irons to keep it in play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have to agree. There were a few pro tees, especially on pro-am day that were forward of what the yardage boards were saying. For my tuppence though I don't really care what they hit into each hole so if they go iron and then iron on long par fours as long as it's entertaining to watch that'll do for me. There is still run at WH and no-one seems to bothered at the Open when they hit irons to keep it in play
i mentioned in my OP Homer that it was a factor too at the open where they didn't play from some of the back tee's at all and some only got used on the final round .

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The commentators (on the international feed from golf channel) made specific mention to this matter yesterday, made me think they'd read this thread

I guess some events they just print one teeing-ground board with the longest distance on it they are likely to play and move it around each day without caring it might only reflect the actual distance on one day

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The commentators (on the international feed from golf channel) made specific mention to this matter yesterday, made me think they'd read this thread

I guess some events they just print one teeing-ground board with the longest distance on it they are likely to play and move it around each day without caring it might only reflect the actual distance on one day
what were they saying?, didn't watch any yesterday TBH.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
what were they saying?, didn't watch any yesterday TBH.

Week in week out its usually just the odd comment you hear about how organizers have brought this tee forward today etc but the guys were specifically mentioning the differences between the boards V the actual and then mentioned its partly there to mix things up for the pros/viewers etc such that what was a Par 3 8iron on Thursday could be a 4iron yesterday on the same hole and keeps it interesting and while a pro will know the night before that its changed they wont really know what shot they face until on the tee
(although I guess at repeat events i.e the Masters they all know where the tees/pins will be each day from one year decade to the next)

And sure enough I suppose there was more than a couple that couldn't hit anywhere close to some of those par 3 greens (but I'm not sure it added to the viewing experience to the same extent but some of the recovery shots were great)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I get they may want to bring the odd tee forward, but it looks to me like a fair few tee's are well forward for any of the golf over the first few days and as i posted, the open had a few.

To be its just misleading when you see a tee box saying 490 when in fact they are playing it more like 360 and commentators saying it is 300 to fly such and such bunkers when from the tee they are off its more like 260

D

Deleted member 15344

At the end of the day what difference does it make ? They do also put Tees right at the back to extend par 4’s and 5’s. As been mentioned a number of times they are just trying to make the course play a bit more different each day - change the challenge , change the angle ,see if pros will try and go for a par 4 in one or a par 5 in two , attack a par 3 with a short iron.

You appear suspicious and just worried about length

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
At the end of the day what difference does it make ? They do also put Tees right at the back to extend par 4’s and 5’s. As been mentioned a number of times they are just trying to make the course play a bit more different each day - change the challenge , change the angle ,see if pros will try and go for a par 4 in one or a par 5 in two , attack a par 3 with a short iron.

You appear suspicious and just worried about length
because Ive seen and heard first hand from someone setting up a course for a PGA even where it was done purely to make the pro's look better , not to mix it up.

D

Deleted member 15344

because Ive seen and heard first hand from someone setting up a course for a PGA even where it was done purely to make the pro's look better , not to mix it up.

Sorry but that’s complete nonsense - setting a course up to make players look better 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 sorry but no 😂😂😂😂

Why the heck would the PGA set up a course to make a pro look better 😂😂