Trump Turnberry

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Donald Trump will never realise his dream of holding the Open at his Turnberry golf resort, sources close to the R&A have suggested.

The 45th US president has been lobbying for his Ayrshire venue to be picked again, saying “everybody wants to see the Open Championship here”.

However, the R&A, which manages the world-renowned event, is understood to now flatly reject the prospect of selecting Turnberry in the near future. One source suggested Trump’s only option would be to sell up as his ownership is still perceived as a serious security risk due to potential protests.

The R&A’s robust stance prompted an immediate call for a rethink from the Trump camp on Wednesday. Trump’s son Eric, the executive vice-president of the Trump organisation, sent a statement to The Telegraph saying the family remains “deeply committed to the Open Championship whenever the call is received”.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Donald Trump will never realise his dream of holding the Open at his Turnberry golf resort, sources close to the R&A have suggested.

The 45th US president has been lobbying for his Ayrshire venue to be picked again, saying “everybody wants to see the Open Championship here”.

However, the R&A, which manages the world-renowned event, is understood to now flatly reject the prospect of selecting Turnberry in the near future. One source suggested Trump’s only option would be to sell up as his ownership is still perceived as a serious security risk due to potential protests.

The R&A’s robust stance prompted an immediate call for a rethink from the Trump camp on Wednesday. Trump’s son Eric, the executive vice-president of the Trump organisation, sent a statement to The Telegraph saying the family remains “deeply committed to the Open Championship whenever the call is received”.
Pretty old news to be fair.
One thing is for certain, love him or loathe him his courses are world class.

D

Deleted member 15344

Don’t think it’s a shock to anyone

They won’t ever hold the Open at any course with his name - they know he would use it as a political vehicle and make it all about him

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Don’t think it’s a shock to anyone

They won’t ever hold the Open at any course with his name - they know he would use it as a political vehicle and make it all about him

He continues to spout his rantings regardless.

I'd be equally worried about the hordes who would travel to protest and disrupt the tournament....even if the Orange One had been out of office for years.

Too much baggage to go anywhere near Turnberry.

evemccc

Visit site
Turnberry would be ace for the Open. Simply superb golf course, as anyone who’s played it will attest

Agree the Trump name will have to be removed before it happens, and agree with @IanM ’s point about the ‘equally unhinged/obsessed’ 🤪

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
fair enough I think, to be honest if the wind keep blowing in the same direction in the USA I think he will have to sell some stuff soon. Also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of his golf clubs have been saddled with massive debts

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hasn't a new bypass been built which makes it a lot easier to get to?
Not sure how much difference it will make last time I went down that way it was still fairly slow, may make some difference though, but my memories of driving there for previous opens are of slow traffic and small crowds.

Dingy

Visit site
I do deliveries down that way on a regular basis and it's bad enough on a normal day so I dread to think what it would be like for an Open. Course looks fantastic though.

Springveldt

Visit site
I reckon the Open should go back to Turnberry .....

Donald "going large" about how invented golf and taught Tom Morris everything he knew, would be as funny as the "Trump ate my hamster" brigade going into melt down. 🤣
With the way things are going for him right now he might not have the opportunity to "go large".

simsini

Visit site
Turnberry clearly should be hosting The Open, it's the best links course in the UK. Besides, the PGA Seniors Championship is at Trump International Scotland this year. The R&A is a joke.

D

Deleted member 15344

Turnberry clearly should be hosting The Open, it's the best links course in the UK. Besides, the PGA Seniors Championship is at Trump International Scotland this year. The R&A is a joke.

There is a lot more to it than Turnberry being a good course - and a PGA comp isn’t any comparison

The Open is prob imo the highest profile golf competition

If it’s at Trumps course then he would use the media focus for his own political aims , the majors will avoid any of his courses for that reason alone - it’s the same as why the main tours don’t go near his courses