Pro tournament course set up

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Its good variety over four days, and also takes account of the change in the weather... didnt the wind switch direction on Sunday... Challenge Tour came to my old home club at few years back... one of the par 3s was off the ladies tee one day, with the pin tucked away... also another par 4 was pushed up to encourage having a go....

Seems sensible to me! (as long as the TV gives you the actual yardage as you are watching!)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sorry but that’s complete nonsense - setting a course up to make players look better 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 sorry but no 😂😂😂😂

Why the heck would the PGA set up a course to make a pro look better 😂😂
how would you know Mr expert on everything? you post about things you have done nothing more that googled.. :ROFLMAO:

a situation from a course manager that where this was exactly what he was asked to do by The ET on a particular hole, because the pros's couldn't reach it in two because of a bit of wind

D

Deleted member 15344

how would you know Mr expert on everything? you post about things you have done nothing more that googled.. :ROFLMAO:

a situation from a course manager that where this was exactly what he was asked to do by The ET on a particular hole, because the pros's couldn't reach it in two because of a bit of wind

Oh dear Patrick - why the need to start making personal snide remarks once again

Ok - which course and which event was it that the ET asked the the club to change the tee to make the pros look good ( as opposed to putting a par 5 in reach to make it more of a challenge )

And I was also under the impression that the ET themselves set up the course for each day and decided where to put pins and tees as opposed to asking the club to do it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Oh dear Patrick - why the need to start making personal snide remarks once again

Ok - which course and which event was it that the ET asked the the club to change the tee to make the pros look good ( as opposed to putting a par 5 in reach to make it more of a challenge )

And I was also under the impression that the ET themselves set up the course for each day and decided where to put pins and tees as opposed to asking the club to do it
do what you do with everything else Google it :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

You aint so far apart :)

Making it easier/adding the option of getting up in two.... whatever! :ROFLMAO:

It’s like when US courses soften up the greens to encourage birdies etc

They aren’t doing it make them look good - doing it to encourage good scoring and also attacking golf - hence par 4’s at drivable distances etc

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My wife hasnt been playing "proper golf" for that long... but I love the way she has "sussed it!" Watching the highlights of LPGA and PGA last night she said, "Pa, thats' not proper golf, anyone can play in weather and on courses like that... Walton Heath was a proper test!" :)

I note that the PGA Tour (CIMB Classic in Malaysia) was won with a score of -26 over 4 rounds by Mark Leishman. And you needed to be -19 for a share of 10th place!

Compare and contrast to Walton Heath in the autumn. -9 was the winning score (Eddie Pep) and -2 only was required for a top 10.

I made this point prior to the Ryder Cup, that European Tour players really serve their apprenticeship playing much trickier golf courses and this makes them generally better players. On the US PGA Tour, it is often a birdie fest and scoring is done in terms of making birdies & eagles. On the European Tour, making par is often a good score.

Obviously most of the top golfers will end up basing themselves in America and will have to adapt to playing the 20 under par to win type events, but they will have the skills learned playing in trickier conditions in Europe.

I also feel that simply the relocation to America makes them better players. They are making a big sacrifice and a bit of a gamble, to move countries, relocate their families, probably have their children born in America etc. Most American players have not had to do that and some will only leave the country to play the Open Championship, Ryder Cup and maybe the HSBC in China.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really enjoyed watching it yesterday. Proves you don't have to do anything to trick the course up to make it a challenge. Heather, a bit of rough and some tough weather asked more than enough questions and made it compelling watching

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My wife hasnt been playing "proper golf" for that long... but I love the way she has "sussed it!" Watching the highlights of LPGA and PGA last night she said, "Pa, thats' not proper golf, anyone can play in weather and on courses like that... Walton Heath was a proper test!" :)

Yeah, she has a point there. The notion that the course has to be "perfect" for the pros to play on it has become a little ridiculous in recent years and they are normally on preferred lies as soon as there is as much as a puddle or bend leave of grass somewhere on the fairway. And the advantages they take from that rule are sometimes hilarious. Like they bounce into a flower bed somewhere, but think up some fantastic swing they would like to hit from there, complain that some immovable obstruction would hamper their driver off the deck, get a drop that get's them somehow onto the short stuff and then can prefer it another club length so that they end up in a perfect spot. Especially on the LPGA, that happens relatively frequently, the rules officials bend over backwards sometimes to give the players a break.