Top 25 Heathland Courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of times most of the time when it comes to talking about great courses in the UK people immediately go straight for the links

Now for me whilst I enjoy playing a Links course I couldn’t be a member , where as Heathland - every day

GM has posted their top 25

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/cour...urses-uk-167651/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Now they have the New at Sunningdale as number one but for me it’s the Old

So my top five would be

Sunningdale Old
Swinley Forest
Sunningdale New
Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin
Hankley Common

So any missing from the list ? Anyone have a different list

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've have to agree 100% to that statement. Heathland for me too. Mixture of both worlds! Member at a parkland due to location mind.

I love Thorpeness in Suffolk!! Only played it once but would love to go back and give it another go after a rather poor 26 points :)!

Wolf

Visit site
I can't comment to much as only played a handful , played a lot more parkland and links in my time but would live to play more heathland so my line based on what I've played or visited..

Sunningdale Old
Sunningdale New
Sherwood Forest
Walton Heath
Queenwood..( never played but caddied there thought it.was stunning)

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've have to agree 100% to that statement. Heathland for me too. Mixture of both worlds! Member at a parkland due to location mind.

I love Thorpeness in Suffolk!! Only played it once but would love to go back and give it another go after a rather poor 26 points :)!

lovely course, very underrated imo.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A lot of times most of the time when it comes to talking about great courses in the UK people immediately go straight for the links

Now for me whilst I enjoy playing a Links course I couldn’t be a member , where as Heathland - every day

GM has posted their top 25

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/cour...urses-uk-167651/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Now they have the New at Sunningdale as number one but for me it’s the Old

So my top five would be

Sunningdale Old
Swinley Forest
Sunningdale New
Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin
Hankley Common

So any missing from the list ? Anyone have a different list

This list I will take with a pinch of salt.

D

Deleted member 15344

This list I will take with a pinch of salt.
Why is that Jacko ?

I know you aren’t the greatest fan of the GM lists but you can prob pick any golf website or article etc and a good deal number of the courses would appear

D

Deleted Member 1156

The new GM top 100 list is due in December. Broadstone is currently 96th(?) but in the link in the OP it states 83rd, sounds like it has made a big leap :D

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heathland courses can look amazing when in full bloom but look nowhere near as nice when out of season.Recently West Hills a prime example.
Some were raving about it but imo it was in poor condition although the greens were very good.
I suppose being in this country courses are in there prime for a short period wether Heathland,Links or Parkland.

D

Deleted member 15344

My favourites so far have been:
Sunningdale New
Swinley Forest
Liphook
Sunningdale Old
Sherwood Forest
I reckon you will swap Sherwood for Hotchkin when you play it 👍

D

Deleted member 1418

Looking forward to playing both Sunningdale courses next year. Out of those I have played my favourite is the Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa - just love everything about the place.

D

Deleted member 17920

For me Sunningdale Old is better than the new.

Swinley Forest is right up there as well.

Hotchkin is just getting better and better and another load of winter work is about to start at the end of November and we shall see what work Tom Doak does again.

Played West Sussex this year and what an amazing course that is as well.

We are very spoilt with some amazing heathland courses and many will cause debate, James has put Sherwood but I would put Notts above it, same as alwoodley is miles better than moortown but I am sure some put moortown ahead, even Ganton is rated by some as better than the Hotchkin but I don’t think it’s even close to compare the pair, the Hotchkin is miles better and way more of a test.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Heathland courses can look amazing when in full bloom but look nowhere near as nice when out of season.Recently West Hills a prime example.
Some were raving about it but imo it was in poor condition although the greens were very good.
I suppose being in this country courses are in there prime for a short period wether Heathland,Links or Parkland.
I think that the weather this summer had a bearing on the condition of the course. Now whilst it wasn’t in captains day shape it was still very well presented and a bloody good test of golf.

D

Deleted member 1147

As Glyn says, it’s horses for courses with these top tracks!

For me the par 3’s take it on the New.
The back 9 makes Sherwood better than Notts.
Liphook had variety & amazing greens.
Hotchkin a bit of everything (and I can’t wait to see what changes have been made).
North Hants, West Hill & Camberley were all good fun.
And if only Swinley were longer it would beat them all.

I just need to play more!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Lucky enough to have played 20 of the 25 courses in the list. My top five in order would be
Sunningdale New
Sunningdale Old
Hankley Common
St George’s Hill
Swinley

Need to play Woodhall again to see improvements that have been made. The Berkshire Red is just about as good as Swinley, but knowing a member at Swinley swings it.;)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve played 22 of the 25 😁

For me -

Sunningdale Old
Swinley Forest
Walton Heath Old
Sunningdale New
Woodhall

Are a cut above the rest.

Notts is Hugely underrated, and Hankley is also different class.

Suprised Ganton wasn’t on this list.

For the record. I loved Sherwood. It’s not better than Notts though

D

Deleted member 17920

I’ve played 22 of the 25 😁

For me -

Sunningdale Old
Swinley Forest
Walton Heath Old
Sunningdale New
Woodhall

Are a cut above the rest.

Notts is Hugely underrated, and Hankley is also different class.

Suprised Ganton wasn’t on this list.

For the record. I loved Sherwood. It’s not better than Notts though
What ones have you not played Sam?