Time taken to get from 28 handicap to 18

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all

I know it will be different for everyone but just wondered how long it took you to get from 28 handicap or anything close to this down to 18 handicap which is my initial goal)

thanks for any replies

Took me a week, but this particular step will depend on a huge number of factors with experienced hockey and cricket players being examples of those who will effectively jump this step completely (they will have their issues later!).

In my case I was invited up to Edinburgh by my late uncle and we played 1 or 2 rounds a day on various courses (Murray field being his course). I was late teens, very athletic and competitive; played most sports etc

By the end of the week I was playing bogey golf. I knew nothing about swing planes, club head speed, aim point or grain and had a pretty war half set with punched face irons, solid wood (with lead under the sole plates) and a bullseye putter. I just picked a club and hit the ball (hard).

Those were the days.

Nobbi

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's taken me 4 months to get to 14. First handicap was 24.
I used to play abit when I was younger, purely nomadic and I guess I would have played to mid 20s handicap but I had some decent rounds around 10 over occasionally. My last 3 rounds I have scored 82. 85. 86 on a par 72 challenging course I have the foundation there to improve I think. Every body is different though. My pp is at 20 with the same experience as me and he's not really improving as fast.
My advice would be to start with the grip. Grip has been the most important thing for me. Getting the right amount of tension and then freeing my wrists up. Everything is easier and smoother. If you can find that right grip pressure, hinge them wrists then everything will fall into place. I have only just started using driver too. 4 irons off the tee are my safe shot.
For me also... people may disagree.. I like to use shaped shots. I find my baby fade (rh) is a lot more controlled. My natural shot is pretty straight and I can draw the ball if I really need to but my fade is the money shot.
Also I hit the range at least once a week. And I try to play at least 27 holes a week.
Never had lessons either.