Tigers back.

DCB

Visit site
Spinal fusions put added pressure on other parts of the spine, causing them to degenerate more quickly. It's very unlikely he is pain free, no matter what he may claim publically as spinal surgery of this nature rarely alleviates all of the pain, it merely buys the patient time. He will have back problems for the rest of his life and by playing golf he's speeding up the further deterioration of his spine.

Because if he carries on, by the time he gets to 50, he may not be able to walk.

He has nothing to prove, he's achieved everything in golf except 19 majors and it should be pretty obvios to most he's not going to do that now.
Why risk damaging your body even more ?

Couldn't agree more. Don't want to see him end up in a wheelchair at 50.

D

Deleted member 23270

I do love the internet rules of extreme viewpoints only, seems exacerbated whenever Woods is brought up aswell :)

I'm not a fan or a "hater", he'll generate a lot of interest and hopefully he can get fit enough to play as much/little as he wants. He certainly brings attention to the sport which, in Europe especially, it desperately needs.

Never understand people saying that he should retire? Why? Pretty sure he's earned the right to choose to carry on playing if he so wishes, whether or not he is "deluded" about what he can or can't achieve.

Would I watch the Hero World Challenge if he wasn't playing? Maybe.

Will I watch it to see his comeback? Definitely.

Regardless of how he plays that is the impact he has on TV ratings and attendances etc etc etc so fair play to him if he wants another crack.

The reason I said he should retire is because he has absolutely nothing left to prove. He isn't going to beat Jack's record (I'm sure even he realises that) so what else is he playing for? He is too competitive to accept playing to make cuts, he certainly doesn't need the money and by carrying on playing he is just going to do more damage to his back.

If I was in his shoes I would concentrate on his foundation doing brilliant work giving kids the opportunity to get into golf. He has already created his legacy, he should sit back and enjoy it.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The problem with Woods with regards the coverage is whenever he plays no one else matters to the broadcasters - they will happily show wall to wall coverage of him regardless of how he is playing. That’s not his fault but it happens - and it’s done to satisfy a certain percentage who watch golf just when Woods is on - does that actually help the game seeing one person ?

In regards attendances - yep more may come through the gate to watch him but the organisers will have to pay initially for that - he doesn’t appear for free and some events pay him a couple million to appear.

I suspect the appeal of him playing has changed a little - people used to be inspired by him to an extent but now I reckon a lot will turn on to see if it’s car crash time.

And then there is the people who don’t want to watch wall to wall Woods - they will switch off now.

At one stage Woods was Golf - he was the guy who moved the sport forward in a big way but that’s a time over a decade ago now - others have taken that mantel. Woods legacy is safe - he is up there with the best sportsman that’s been - what he doesn’t need to do is prove something to anyone whilst damaging himself further - maybe that’s why some think he should retire.

In summary I don’t believe Golf needs Woods - he may need golf but the sport will be fine without him - does Europe “desperately need Woods” ? Don’t believe so and don’t see why it does - if it does then there is massive problems

I said the European tour desperately needs attention not necessarily Woods (albeit interest in the Abu Dhabi etc events he used to play in was ramped up). The European Tour does have massive problems!

I know you have a severe dislike for Woods which I have no issue with (I'm not a fan of his either as i've said), all I'm saying is why should he be told to retire as he's not as good as he was?

Jack, Arnie, Player etc all carried on almost ceremoniously until they could only hit it as far as us choppers so if Woods wants to do the same thats up to him. He transformed golf so think he's earned the right to play for whatever motivation he has (even if thats just making cuts although suspect he wouldn't last long doing that) :thup:

You mention about the TV coverage all the time, however you never seemed to criticise the BBC for showing every single shot of Rory at every Open for the last few years!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reason I said he should retire is because he has absolutely nothing left to prove. He isn't going to beat Jack's record (I'm sure even he realises that) so what else is he playing for? He is too competitive to accept playing to make cuts, he certainly doesn't need the money and by carrying on playing he is just going to do more damage to his back.

If I was in his shoes I would concentrate on his foundation doing brilliant work giving kids the opportunity to get into golf. He has already created his legacy, he should sit back and enjoy it.

As i said I have no idea what motivates him or what he is playing for, just that it is up to him whether or not he wants to play. Vijay Singh, David Toms etc are all nowhere near the level they used to be at but are still on the Tour, should they jack it in aswell?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because if he carries on, by the time he gets to 50, he may not be able to walk.

He has nothing to prove, he's achieved everything in golf except 19 majors and it should be pretty obvios to most he's not going to do that now.
Why risk damaging your body even more ?

I've no idea, with his cash I'm pretty sure there are plenty of respected medical professionals advising him on what he can and can't do, if he is ignoring them and could end up unable to walk at 50 then fair enough he should pack it in.

Just find it laughable that a load of chompers always start saying he should retire whenever the conversation comes up, completely irrational (for all other reasons than medical).

So what if he isn't going to reach 19 majors. McIlroy won't make it either and has back issues so should he pack it in?

D

Deleted member 23270

As i said I have no idea what motivates him or what he is playing for, just that it is up to him whether or not he wants to play. Vijay Singh, David Toms etc are all nowhere near the level they used to be at but are still on the Tour, should they jack it in aswell?

Those guys aren't risking their health by carrying on playing as far as I know but it's up to Woods to do whatever he wants I guess.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those guys aren't risking their health by carrying on playing as far as I know but it's up to Woods to do whatever he wants I guess.

Do you know Woods is risking his long term health? As I've said if he is ignoring medical advice then he is a muppet and should just go and do something else.

D

Deleted member 18588

Actually Jack Nicklaus didn't continue until he was merely a ceremonial golfer.

After the Masters in '86 he played relatively little on the PGA Tour and his Seniors career wasn't exactly long lived.

From a selfish point of view I would prefer Tiger to retire as I want to remember him in his pomp and have no desire to see him as a "mid-table" pro'.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually Jack Nicklaus didn't continue until he was merely a ceremonial golfer.

After the Masters in '86 he played relatively little on the PGA Tour and his Seniors career wasn't exactly long lived.

From a selfish point of view I would prefer Tiger to retire as I want to remember him in his pomp and have no desire to see him as a "mid-table" pro'.

Maybe just in the majors.

Either way, going by the logic on this thread people would have been telling Jack to pack it in around 1984/1985 when he was on 17 majors....... :whistle:

D

Deleted member 15344

I said the European tour desperately needs attention not necessarily Woods (albeit interest in the Abu Dhabi etc events he used to play in was ramped up). The European Tour does have massive problems!

I know you have a severe dislike for Woods which I have no issue with (I'm not a fan of his either as i've said), all I'm saying is why should he be told to retire as he's not as good as he was?

Jack, Arnie, Player etc all carried on almost ceremoniously until they could only hit it as far as us choppers so if Woods wants to do the same thats up to him. He transformed golf so think he's earned the right to play for whatever motivation he has (even if thats just making cuts although suspect he wouldn't last long doing that) :thup:

You mention about the TV coverage all the time, however you never seemed to criticise the BBC for showing every single shot of Rory at every Open for the last few years!

Don’t have a “severe dislike” of Woods - just don’t think Golf should be about Woods and Woods only regardless of how he is doing

Does the European Tour have “massive problems “ ? There is issues but that’s based around Money and sponsorship- and because of Woods with appearance Money being a big factor has caused. But I don’t believe they have massive problems just a shame they have to branch out around the world to allow year around Golf - I prefer to watch the ET every day of the week over the PGA Coverage- it’s better in every way - I can’t remember when I last watch a PGA event beyond major and WGC

I have no idea about how Jack and Arnie were like as players but I reckon their demeanour was nothing like the way Woods acted - people warmed to them especially in the way the acted towards the crowds - Woods is a whole different kettle of fish with more stories about him being off , cold and indeed rude to spectators - i also suspect Arnie and Co managed their expectations when they carried on playing and they didn’t have bodies wrecked by operations. I haven’t said that he should retire - if he wants to carry on playing then crack on - it doesn’t bother me as long as each tournament he plays doesn’t become just about him.

Did BBC only show Rory regardless of what he was doing in the Open ? I know there was a lot of focus on him when he won at Hoylake but I can remember the Open at St Andrews and it wasn’t just about him with a lot of focus on the young lad Dunne - I honestly can’t remember and if they did then it’s just as poor as showing just Woods

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I agree but he has earned the right to come back. Personally I worry about his long term health. Back problems did for Seve and many others and they were left with a legacy of ongoing pain. Is it worth another return and risking that over and above the pain he must suffer on a regular basis?

As for him getting wall to wall coverage, those days are gone. There will be increased media and TV interest especially in the first round. However I think those that say it'll be Woods saturation are off the mark and from what I remember of the last time he played, there was an initial flurry but he was then featured less and less and he slid towards a missed cut or withdrawal.

D

Deleted member 18588

Is there really a suggestion that the European Tour doesn't have massive problems when it struggles to fill a full year schedule and the prize fund at some is as low ad it is. Where the higher ranked European players base themselves in the States. And where so many events are being played well away from Europe.

As for the claim that the ET is in any way superior to the PGA Tour; well that is to just fly in the face of all the evidence. Just ask Mcilroy, Stenson, Garcia, Rose etc;

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The European tour could do worse than invite Tiger and pay a fee to get him to play in the PGA at Wentworth, Irish and/or Scottish open and another key event to attract numbers.

Wherever Tiger tips up, people tip up to watch him.

D

Deleted member 15344

The European tour could do worse than invite Tiger and pay a fee to get him to play in the PGA at Wentworth, Irish and/or Scottish open and another key event to attract numbers.

Wherever Tiger tips up, people tip up to watch him.

Whenever he used to play in the desert swing he used to get anywhere between $2 and 3 million appearance fee alone - that’s more than the prize
Money for each of those events - and those events certainly don’t struggle to get spectators into watch -

Some events have run at losses because of paying people like Woods appearance Money.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some events have run at losses because of paying people like Woods appearance Money.

Fact or opinion? If it’s fact I’d be keen to see the numbers.

If it’s opinion then I disagree, why would the Turkish Open pay him every year to play if it was losing money every year?

D

Deleted member 15344

Fact or opinion? If it’s fact I’d be keen to see the numbers.

If it’s opinion then I disagree, why would the Turkish Open pay him every year to play if it was losing money every year?

It’s straight from someone who works for the ET - events paid him the money that in the hope that there would be big uptake on people coming from all over the world to play the course and others in the area - the event organisers happy to take the hit of paying him more than the prize money because at that time you could say “Woods played our course and hit an 8 Iron from here etc etc “and charge big fees for it -

It’s the same with the Grove - a decent enough course that can charge big fees because Woods did this and that at the place and plaques everywhere.

D

Deleted member 18588

For the vast majority of events on the ET it's not an issue about making a profit.

They will never take enough in gate receipts or TV money due to the relatively low level of interest in golf as a spectator sport in those countries.

Therefore the organisers rely upon the sponsorship money and the sponsors themselves will dictate how the money is spent. If they feel that paying appearance money to Tiger will help raise their profile then that is what will happen.

D

Deleted member 16999

Tiger reportedly made $8 Million from appearing in 3 events back in 2013, why shouldn’t he?

He doesn’t get money for every event, only those who wish to use him to create publicity.

Spieth, Watson, Johnson and Rory all paid appearance fees of upto $2 Million last year, it happens and the best can command it.

D

Deleted member 1418

I hope his management team have sorted out when he has to do his community service so it doesn't clash with his tee times

Or is his community service at the Hero Challenge? Tend a few pins, rake some bunkers, help water the greens, empty the bins and maybe help out in the merchandise areas?!!! ;) :whistle: