Tigers back.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
In golfing terms he is an old man, age wise he is easily old enough to be the father of quiet a few of the top 10 players. I really don't believe his body will allow him to compete with kids half his age.

D

Deleted member 15344

If he was under 30 then I reckon he could compete against all the current top 20 but at 41 I don’t see it tbh - especially with all the injuries he has had - it’s going to take its toil.

The worst thing is if you want to watch the Hero Challenge it will only be about Woods now and that’s all you will see.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
In golfing terms he is an old man, age wise he is easily old enough to be the father of quiet a few of the top 10 players. I really don't believe his body will allow him to compete with kids half his age.

Maybe that’s true when it comes to competing week in week out on tour, but many players much older than Tiger have won or come close to winning tour events and majors.

If he is good enough than age should not prevent him from winning.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe that’s true when it comes to competing week in week out on tour, but many players much older than Tiger have won or come close to winning tour events and majors.

If he is good enough than age should not prevent him from winning.

Maybe the ones who put less stress onto their bodies, I doubt he will compete at the top level again

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's finally had surgery to properly alleviate the pain and back issues. I think this could be the real prolonged return of Tiger Woods, I'd be surprised if he breaks down with injuries quickly this time. I'm excited to see how he goes on comeback. I love watching Tiger play and it'd be the best if he came back and was capable of competing. We'll see!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
He doesn't have to be the longest on tour and most of where it counts is 100 yds and in . No reason why he can't be among the best at that still.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is this all not a repeat of the previous 4 or 5 attempts at a comeback with everyone saying the same thing about how it will be different and it’s not about being the longest etc etc etc and it all ends up being another false dawn - what makes it any different this time behind blind hope ?
It’s one year in the past decade where he competed for a small period

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before he was having small preventative surgeries and relying on physio to get his back in shape. He was still living in pain but fighting through it to come back to golf. Now, he's had a serious surgery where he's had two of the discs in his back fused which has allowed him to live pain free and taken all the stress away from the nerve. Hopefully this will allow him to have a prolonged period of playing golf without any pain.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Would love to just seeing him competing regularly again. That's the first goal he should be aiming to achieve and nothing beyond that right now. To do that he needs to pick his tournaments carefully, look after himself, not try to keep up with the young guns and just hit some fairways for a while. Get back in the groove, because the clips we have seen his swing looks ace. It's about whether he is able to convert that onto the course and in tournament play.

Last time, he picked the wrong tournaments and had the wrong mindset. he picked tournaments with significantly treacherous rough and proceeded to hit practically every tee shot in that rough. Which resulted in him hacking away trying to get back in position. And failing and damaging himself and his confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Before he was having small preventative surgeries and relying on physio to get his back in shape. He was still living in pain but fighting through it to come back to golf. Now, he's had a serious surgery where he's had two of the discs in his back fused which has allowed him to live pain free and taken all the stress away from the nerve. Hopefully this will allow him to have a prolonged period of playing golf without any pain.

If you look back through the previous “Tigers back” threads and it’s all the same sound bites - he was supposed to be pain free after the previous three back ops plus knee ops and every time he couldn’t compete and he tried to chase the extra distance to keep up with them and it didn’t work out - the game has moved on and unfortunately due to his injuries he has been left behind and that gap is very big to make up - making cuts will be a success for him with the odd top ten in the regular PGA events - when it’s comes to the majors i don’t think he has a hope tbh

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If he really is 'back' he *might* win an event or two
Ones with small, second tier fields on courses that suit him
But I doubt very much he can really compete in the majors etc (hope I'm wrong)
I'll be suprised if he stays injury free and doesn't hang his clubs up for good over the next year or so

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you look back through the previous “Tigers back” threads and it’s all the same sound bites - he was supposed to be pain free after the previous three back ops plus knee ops and every time he couldn’t compete and he tried to chase the extra distance to keep up with them and it didn’t work out - the game has moved on and unfortunately due to his injuries he has been left behind and that gap is very big to make up - making cuts will be a success for him with the odd top ten in the regular PGA events - when it’s comes to the majors i don’t think he has a hope tbh

How exactly has the game moved on?

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
If he really is 'back' he *might* win an event or two
Ones with small, second tier fields on courses that suit him
But I doubt very much he can really compete in the majors etc (hope I'm wrong)
I'll be suprised if he stays injury free and doesn't hang his clubs up for good over the next year or so

I don't see why he can't compete. Plenty of other players out on tour that don't bomb it like Justin Thomas and still win. The issue is about whether Tigers' ego can cope with that or not and whether his body holds out.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

he isn't the only one who can hit 300 yard drives and hit 600 yard par 5's in 2.

all this "tigers back" is so boring. same old, same old. he'll come back, hack up the course, blame it on historical injuries and round we go again

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't see why he can't compete. Plenty of other players out on tour that don't bomb it like Justin Thomas and still win. The issue is about whether Tigers' ego can cope with that or not and whether his body holds out.

Simply that some events are easier to win than others based upon the field plus some courses will suit Tiger more than others

D

Deleted member 15344

Right now instead of just one person behind able to destroy courses there is a group of Prob 10 or more guys that can hit it well past 300 with ease and turn long par 5’s into easy par 4’s , players aren’t scared of others , players are fitter , stronger , mentally stronger.

When Woods was competing he was streets ahead of the other players - not anymore - even if he was fully fit I wouldn’t put him in the top ten anymore - but that’s natural , he is older and whilst players do play longer and every now and then you get shock performances can anyone really honestly see it from Woods beyond anything more than blind hope

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right now instead of just one person behind able to destroy courses there is a group of Prob 10 or more guys that can hit it well past 300 with ease and turn long par 5’s into easy par 4’s , players aren’t scared of others , players are fitter , stronger , mentally stronger.

When Woods was competing he was streets ahead of the other players - not anymore - even if he was fully fit I wouldn’t put him in the top ten anymore - but that’s natural , he is older and whilst players do play longer and every now and then you get shock performances can anyone really honestly see it from Woods beyond anything more than blind hope

for some reason tiger fans just can't seem to let go. they're hell bent on convincing themselves he's going to make some major comeback.

it isn't going to happen people. I'm not saying he's never going to win again but come on, give yourself a slap around the face and get back into reality