Tigers back.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
What golf fan wouldn't want to see him back and fighting it out with the best in the game.

He's 42. Not 52. If i were in his camp i would be setting him small goals to achieve and not looking beyond those goals -

1. Start hitting some chip shots.
2. Start hitting some pitch shots.
3. Start hitting some three quarter swing shots.
4. Start hitting full iron shots.
5. Start hitting woods.
6. Play 9 holes.
7. Play 18 holes.
8. Play 18 holes two days in a row.
9. Play 18 holes three days in a row.
10. Play 18 holes four days in a row.
11. Play the first two days in a tournament.
12. Play the first two days in the next tournament.
13. Make the cut in a tournament.
13. Be in contention.
14. Win a tournament.

In the past i think Tiger has tried to go straight to number 14.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right now instead of just one person behind able to destroy courses there is a group of Prob 10 or more guys that can hit it well past 300 with ease and turn long par 5’s into easy par 4’s , players aren’t scared of others , players are fitter , stronger , mentally stronger.

When Woods was competing he was streets ahead of the other players - not anymore - even if he was fully fit I wouldn’t put him in the top ten anymore - but that’s natural , he is older and whilst players do play longer and every now and then you get shock performances can anyone really honestly see it from Woods beyond anything more than blind hope

He was streets ahead of others but not just in driving distance. He was the best scrambler on tour, best putter, and his scoring average eclipsed anything anyone as achieved in recent years. If he gets his short game on point and keeps the ball in play there is absolutely no reason why he couldn't compete. The game hasn't moved on that much. Guys like Kuchar, Mickelson, Z Johnson, Poulter, Snedeker and even Furyk are still up there competing and Tiger was streets ahead of those guys when he was playing regularly. Kuchar took Spieth to the last hole in a Major this year, there is no reason why Tiger couldn't do the same.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He needs to play competitive golf so the Hero with no cut makes sense. Whether his body is ready and he's ready mentally will only come out once he starts playing. If, FINALLY his body is in order then with a winter of fitness work to get ready he could come out on tour next year and start to compete regularly. That however is as far as I see it going and while there could be a tour win left in him, although doubtful, I am certain he's done in the majors and there are now too many good and younger players and the physical limitations on his body will prevent him winning another

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
He needs to play competitive golf so the Hero with no cut makes sense. Whether his body is ready and he's ready mentally will only come out once he starts playing. If, FINALLY his body is in order then with a winter of fitness work to get ready he could come out on tour next year and start to compete regularly. That however is as far as I see it going and while there could be a tour win left in him, although doubtful, I am certain he's done in the majors and there are now too many good and younger players and the physical limitations on his body will prevent him winning another

On the other hand, I read that he's firmly behind your quest to return to single figures :p
++ for NLP

Seriously though if someone told you they were certain it wasn't going to happen for you, I'm pretty sure you'd still give it a go. So at least we can look forward to him trying

D

Deleted member 15344

He was streets ahead of others but not just in driving distance. He was the best scrambler on tour, best putter, and his scoring average eclipsed anything anyone as achieved in recent years. If he gets his short game on point and keeps the ball in play there is absolutely no reason why he couldn't compete. The game hasn't moved on that much. Guys like Kuchar, Mickelson, Z Johnson, Poulter, Snedeker and even Furyk are still up there competing and Tiger was streets ahead of those guys when he was playing regularly. Kuchar took Spieth to the last hole in a Major this year, there is no reason why Tiger couldn't do the same.

All “IF’s”

How many comps have - Kuchar , Mickelson , Johnson , Poulter Furyk etc won over the last 2 years ?

It’s all based on hope as opposed to any sort of reality

Woods was streets ahead - I would say he is miles behind now and that gap that has built over the last ten years is too big for him to bridge

D

Deleted member 23270

The sensible thing for Woods to do is hang up his glove and go off into the sunset and enjoy spending his millions. If he (or anyone else) thinks he can compete again at the top level then they are deluded.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
He's been hitting shots for, how long.....2-3 weeks?
He hasn't played since February and wasn't playing well when he withdrew.
The last time he played 4 rounds was the Hero last year and he almost came last.
Has he had time to get anywhere near "Match Fit"?
I can't believe that his short game touch will be close to where it needs to be unless he's practicing 12 hours a day - and that won't be happening in case his back goes again...
I predict some flashes of the old Tiger but much more of the newer Tiger - the one that can't keep the ball in play and therefore struggles to a second to last finish.
Unless he gets his Gleuts activated.......then it's anyone's guess.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
All “IF’s”

How many comps have - Kuchar , Mickelson , Johnson , Poulter Furyk etc won over the last 2 years ?

It’s all based on hope as opposed to any sort of reality

Woods was streets ahead - I would say he is miles behind now and that gap that has built over the last ten years is too big for him to bridge

Yeah it is all if's, but it's hardly like you're spouting facts. You're guessing too, nobody knows how he's going to play when he comes back. I'd just rather be optimistic as I'm a fan.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Before he was having small preventative surgeries and relying on physio to get his back in shape. He was still living in pain but fighting through it to come back to golf. Now, he's had a serious surgery where he's had two of the discs in his back fused which has allowed him to live pain free and taken all the stress away from the nerve. Hopefully this will allow him to have a prolonged period of playing golf without any pain.

Spinal fusions put added pressure on other parts of the spine, causing them to degenerate more quickly. It's very unlikely he is pain free, no matter what he may claim publically as spinal surgery of this nature rarely alleviates all of the pain, it merely buys the patient time. He will have back problems for the rest of his life and by playing golf he's speeding up the further deterioration of his spine.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think a successful comeback would be that he play's 2 rounds without his back being affected. Doubt he's looking at winning the tournement but looking forward to playing again.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do love the internet rules of extreme viewpoints only, seems exacerbated whenever Woods is brought up aswell :)

I'm not a fan or a "hater", he'll generate a lot of interest and hopefully he can get fit enough to play as much/little as he wants. He certainly brings attention to the sport which, in Europe especially, it desperately needs.

Never understand people saying that he should retire? Why? Pretty sure he's earned the right to choose to carry on playing if he so wishes, whether or not he is "deluded" about what he can or can't achieve.

Would I watch the Hero World Challenge if he wasn't playing? Maybe.

Will I watch it to see his comeback? Definitely.

Regardless of how he plays that is the impact he has on TV ratings and attendances etc etc etc so fair play to him if he wants another crack.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do love the internet rules of extreme viewpoints only, seems exacerbated whenever Woods is brought up aswell :)

I'm not a fan or a "hater", he'll generate a lot of interest and hopefully he can get fit enough to play as much/little as he wants. He certainly brings attention to the sport which, in Europe especially, it desperately needs.

Never understand people saying that he should retire? Why? Pretty sure he's earned the right to choose to carry on playing if he so wishes, whether or not he is "deluded" about what he can or can't achieve.

Regardless of how he plays that is the impact he has on TV ratings and attendances etc etc etc so fair play to him if he wants another crack.

Spot on.

D

Deleted member 16999

Great post, lock the thread :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Never understand people saying that he should retire?

Because if he carries on, by the time he gets to 50, he may not be able to walk.

He has nothing to prove, he's achieved everything in golf except 19 majors and it should be pretty obvios to most he's not going to do that now.
Why risk damaging your body even more ?

D

Deleted member 15344

The problem with Woods with regards the coverage is whenever he plays no one else matters to the broadcasters - they will happily show wall to wall coverage of him regardless of how he is playing. That’s not his fault but it happens - and it’s done to satisfy a certain percentage who watch golf just when Woods is on - does that actually help the game seeing one person ?

In regards attendances - yep more may come through the gate to watch him but the organisers will have to pay initially for that - he doesn’t appear for free and some events pay him a couple million to appear.

I suspect the appeal of him playing has changed a little - people used to be inspired by him to an extent but now I reckon a lot will turn on to see if it’s car crash time.

And then there is the people who don’t want to watch wall to wall Woods - they will switch off now.

At one stage Woods was Golf - he was the guy who moved the sport forward in a big way but that’s a time over a decade ago now - others have taken that mantel. Woods legacy is safe - he is up there with the best sportsman that’s been - what he doesn’t need to do is prove something to anyone whilst damaging himself further - maybe that’s why some think he should retire.

In summary I don’t believe Golf needs Woods - he may need golf but the sport will be fine without him - does Europe “desperately need Woods” ? Don’t believe so and don’t see why it does - if it does then there is massive problems