Tigers back.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Really good to see he appears not just over his injuries but able to be competitive, long may it continue

The media hype will undoubtedly annoy folks who aren’t fans of his and that’s understandable (no diff to fans of footie teams the world over that don’t get the coverage of the big boys or any other sport) and we are talking about the US media too, so it’s all going to be kicked up a notch or 8 on the silliness scale

I’m sure it’ll calm down a tad the longer he stays fit and hopefully the on course fans calm down a bit too because shouting/cheering on his downswing seemed like the norm on Sunday, and if/when he can get a win it’ll spike to lunacy levels
(but in our golfing world his ‘journey back’ is a huge huge (positive?) story that can transcend to fans of other sports and not much in golf can do that)

Some might benefit from a single minded media as the Masters hypes up with a little scrutiny lifted off Rory’s shoulders which won’t do him any harm while others might miss out a bit with Sergio not getting quite the recognition the current champion might otherwise get

Overall though I don’t think Tiger’s game benefits ially expect him to con any way from this level of acute media/fan attention so I suppose he’s the real one losing out

Personally I think the UK/European media completely overrate and expect to much from Rory. In my opinion much better players of the same age/younger than Rory, his Short game and putting are well below what you'd expect of a top player and until he sorts his problems there I don't contend in any strong field tournaments. Round Augusta his Short game will be found wanting and his putting is just terrible, too many tight lies into the grain for him at Augusta

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He's the Favourite for Bay Hill and currently 2nd Favourite for the Masters behind DJ.

Never thought I'd be typing that out 6 months ago..

Amazing isn't it. A couple of decent weeks and suddenly he's second favourite. As much as I'd like to see Woods right in the mix on the back nine on Sunday, I'm not sure I'd put him as second favourite based on the comeback to date

D

Deleted member 1147

Personally I think the UK/European media completely overrate and expect to much from Rory. In my opinion much better players of the same age/younger than Rory, his Short game and putting are well below what you'd expect of a top player and until he sorts his problems there I don't contend in any strong field tournaments. Round Augusta his Short game will be found wanting and his putting is just terrible, too many tight lies into the grain for him at Augusta

I agree, Rory is rubbish!
How he thinks he could ever be successful is beyond me!?!
He’ll never be the best player in the world, or win anything significant, there must be hundreds of better players than him!

Boo Rory!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He’ll never be the best player in the world, or win anything significant, there must be hundreds of better players than him!

Boo Rory!!!

Are you for real? How many majors has McIlroy won. Think they might count as significant wins. 93 weeks as world #1

D

Deleted member 1418

Boo Rory!!!

😂😂😂😂

Yes massively over-rated and over-hyped. 😀

Will now probably go and win the Masters by 5-10 shots!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
All so quick to jump on the defence of rory when someone expresses an honest opinion, great player no doubt but look at his short game and putting the last 2 seasons it has been shocking. The amount of times he completely misses greens with wedges is frightening. Spieth is a much better all around player, much better attitude to the game aswell, Justin Thomas is just as good tee to green and has a better short game. There are numerous others who at present I'd put money on beating Rory on any day because his game just isn't there. None of these guys are as good as woods was, not even close. The point was, UK media all very expectant of Rory to produce and it's clear his game is far from capable at present, I get he is the poster boy and all but let's just be realistic

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
All so quick to jump on the defence of rory when someone expresses an honest opinion, great player no doubt but look at his short game and putting the last 2 seasons it has been shocking. The amount of times he completely misses greens with wedges is frightening. Spieth is a much better all around player, much better attitude to the game aswell, Justin Thomas is just as good tee to green and has a better short game. There are numerous others who at present I'd put money on beating Rory on any day because his game just isn't there. None of these guys are as good as woods was, not even close. The point was, UK media all very expectant of Rory to produce and it's clear his game is far from capable at present, I get he is the poster boy and all but let's just be realistic

I'd go along with that. He was the first one to appear when tiger was on the way down so got the spotlight. Also as he's from these shores the media obviously blow him up.

I'd say he's fully as good as the others if not better as far as natural talent goes. But he does seem less concerned with poor performance. It May well be that he has a better temperament, but I'd like to see him more annoyed when he's playing poorly.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think he has the natural or mental ability of woods and I'd say his mental ability seems to be the part that affects his game most, the difference between him and spieth under the cos when a little thing goes against them is incomparable

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Definitely in good form so it would be good to see him carry that on with Augusta looming. As you say, it's a course he'll have positive feelings about.

1 good week isn’t a sign of good form. He’s had mixed results in 2018 so far inc only 1 top 10 in 4 events and 1 missed cut. Certainly on the right track but I would call it good form just yet.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
For a guy who has played 16 events in 4.5 years due to injury I'd say his game looks pretty good, remarkably good actually considering the facts

D

Deleted member 15344

McIlroy has as much natural swing ability than anyone - over the 18 months since he won the Fed Ex he has had a number of niggly injuries none more so than the rib injury that ended up hampering him more than expected - he started last season really well then just couldn’t get going during the latter part of the season.

Again started this season well in the Middle East but since going back to the US that early season form has dropped off.

McIlroy has been here before and got his form back - no doubt he will get it back again

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For a guy who has played 16 events in 4.5 years due to injury I'd say his game looks pretty good, remarkably good actually considering the facts

Forget pre 2018, what went on in the 4 years prior is irrelevant, you can only count his game just now. I agree he’s looking decent but I wouldn’t agree for a minute his form is good after 1 top 10.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Really don't get why these niggling injuries would cause regular 3 and 4 putts, also obviously they won't affect his ability to hit wedge shots if he can hit drivers. You can be as good tee to green as you want but if you can't chip and putt forget it, his putting is the worst of any top player by a considerable amount

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
McIlroy has as much natural swing ability than anyone - over the 18 months since he won the Fed Ex he has had a number of niggly injuries none more so than the rib injury that ended up hampering him more than expected - he started last season really well then just couldn’t get going during the latter part of the season.

Again started this season well in the Middle East but since going back to the US that early season form has dropped off.

McIlroy has been here before and got his form back - no doubt he will get it back again

I actually fear Rory will go further downhill, he’s a confidence player and thrives when playing well. He’s done nothing of note since winning the FedEx, that injury really set him back and reckon he would have been better taking a season out