Tigers back.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really don't get why these niggling injuries would cause regular 3 and 4 putts, also obviously they won't affect his ability to hit wedge shots if he can hit drivers. You can be as good tee to green as you want but if you can't chip and putt forget it, his putting is the worst of any top player by a considerable amount

Injuries would surprise you what effect they have, but get your point. His short game is honking, putting especially

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really don't get why these niggling injuries would cause regular 3 and 4 putts, also obviously they won't affect his ability to hit wedge shots if he can hit drivers. You can be as good tee to green as you want but if you can't chip and putt forget it, his putting is the worst of any top player by a considerable amount

The stats would back you up https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.28237.rory-mcilroy.html but I still think the fact he's a multi-major winner indicates that he is more than capable of getting it done. The issue with McIlroy is he's streaky at best and so at his best he's as good as anyone but when it's off its pretty bad, and if he really does chuck in the towel if he can't make cuts or win, then it'll be ugly viewing

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
It's without question the best woods has been swinging since at least 09 so itl be very exciting to watch the masters and other major events this season. Apart from the missed cut a t23 finish a 12th finish and a t2 finish so trending very nicely for him. I'm sure he will get back to his old ways before long if the health keeps good because he divinely still has the desire and ability

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's without question the best woods has been swinging since at least 09 so itl be very exciting to watch the masters and other major events this season. Apart from the missed cut a t23 finish a 12th finish and a t2 finish so trending very nicely for him. I'm sure he will get back to his old ways before long if the health keeps good because he divinely still has the desire and ability

He hit it pretty well in 2013, did everything but win a major that year

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think a win is around the corner for Woods and once he gets that winning feeling and confidence back we may see him return to something resembling his 2013 season. I also think he is capable of winning majors again. The youngsters have never experienced the real Tiger and if he returns to his best the Tiger effect will have an impact on them coming down the stretch in a major.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Not really sure you follow golf much or look up stats etc, give an opinion using recent form and facts to back up only for the bbashers to post pure nonsense, I didn't say he wasn't a good player incapable of winning at any time but given recent form and stats over the last year or so I don't think his game is up there at the moment

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Not really sure you follow golf much or look up stats etc, give an opinion using recent form and facts to back up only for the bbashers to post pure nonsense, I didn't say he wasn't a good player incapable of winning at any time but given recent form and stats over the last year or so I don't think his game is up there at the moment

The problem is, facts/stats can be used to show what you want them to show. You mentioned you think there is a fair chance of woods winning this week based on his form. Rory at start of the season had equally (if not better form). Woods hasn’t won in his long and imo looked a little tense Sunday. His putting was nervy and I think if he’d outed as well as the previous 3 days he would have got it done.

if I was a betting man, I’d say a fit woods gets a win before Rory. But, Rory has always been a streaky putter and if he has a good first 18 somewhere and holes a few putts, it’s just as likely he’ll romp a win.

D

Deleted member 1147

I watch plenty of golf, and play occasionally as well.
I know that Rory is quite good, sometimes manages top 10’s, wins occasionally and then misses cuts. That’s what he’s always done (look at the past results, they’re available on the internet).
He can go win or MC from one week to another, but to write him off just because of the last couple of weeks shows no evidence of facts. He followed time out of the game with a couple of top 5’s and then missed some cuts.
That’s just what Rory does!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not writing him off for poor form for a couple of weeks, his form has been poor for well over a year. His putting looks very poor and hasn't improved and even looks worse now than it did when it started giving him trouble, his distance control with short irons and wedges has been way off since he came back from injury last summer. It doesn't look like he has addressed any of this with any success which is the reason I don't think he will be a genuine contender in much until he fixes these issues or at least improves them. Even though he has to some extent been a streaky putter, his putting was never as bad or as poor as it is now. It's a shame to see but he has to put the work in to address this or else I think he may be left behind

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To be honest woods was a little unlucky on the Sunday couple of putts he hit good just didn't go in, he only finished one back and shaved the hole a good few times, main issue for him was he had a lot of inbetween yardages on Sunday which obviously make it harder to put the ball close to the hole, no doubt he was a little more tense than normal but I think given the circumstances that's only natural and it will stand him well over next week and in following tournaments

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
To be honest woods was a little unlucky on the Sunday couple of putts he hit good just didn't go in, he only finished one back and shaved the hole a good few times, main issue for him was he had a lot of inbetween yardages on Sunday which obviously make it harder to put the ball close to the hole, no doubt he was a little more tense than normal but I think given the circumstances that's only natural and it will stand him well over next week and in following tournaments

From the few highlights of others I saw (not a criticism of coverage, I like woods) Reid had plenty of close calls too. Imo over 72 holes you finish where you deserve. On the few occasions woods was wayward he wasn’t heavily punished.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it'd be the same for most people that were wayward, sometimes it's about knowing where you can miss and still play from. Also his short game looks fantastic so anything just off the green was almost always an up and down. Reed was close too and obviously golf is a game of misses, whoever has the fewest misses usually wins

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think it'd be the same for most people that were wayward, sometimes it's about knowing where you can miss and still play from. Also his short game looks fantastic so anything just off the green was almost always an up and down. Reed was close too and obviously golf is a game of misses, whoever has the fewest misses usually wins

I agree re his short game. Imo he’s always had the best short game in the world. Mickelsons may excite people more, but Woods was better.

I think the test will be ausgusts tbh. Bay hill has lots of space and last week he only hit a handful of drives. When he hits driver 40 plus times over 4 days (hopefully), we will have a better idea. Because the previous outing he had no idea where it was going, meaning more luck than judgment with the trouble he invariably went into.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Augusta tends to be a pretty forgiving driving course plus I think woods has one finish outside the top 17 in 20 years so definitely a course he likes and knows how to play. Driver isn't required as often as you think, Mickelson didn't even have one in the bag for it a couple of years back #phrankenwood

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Augusta tends to be a pretty forgiving driving course plus I think woods has one finish outside the top 17 in 20 years so definitely a course he likes and knows how to play. Driver isn't required as often as you think, Mickelson didn't even have one in the bag for it a couple of years back #phrankenwood

3 times outside. This is also his first Masters in 3 years so it will be a bit different from his previous visits