Tigers back.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listen to the most recent No Laying Up Podcast, with Luke Guthrie. You're 'bet' couldn't be more wrong. Pros love it.

That was a great listen, really enjoyed that podcast. Luke enjoyed it so much he was willing Tiger to not make birdie on the last so that they'd be playing together again on the Sunday. Well, until he found out he only had a red top and black pants left in his wardrobe anyway :D

D

Deleted member 15344

Saturday coverage up 621% from 2017. The Tiger Effect is real.

Is it good for golf though ? These people that suddenly turn up when woods is playing are Woods fans not golf fans so when he doesn’t play then go away again - is it helping the sport ?

The over the top reaction whenever he hit the ball was pathetic - you would think he was saving lives with the reaction.

Just wish the reaction from the Woods fans , media etc would just calm down because it will also put some people off because of the hysteria.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is 5.5m people tuning in to the Golf Channel and NBC to watch the PGA Tour good for golf? I'd say so. If only a handful of youngsters who wouldn't have been watching Golf otherwise are inspired by watching him and decide to start playing then yeah, I'd say it's great for the game. More eyes on the sport is only good as far as I'm concerned.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is it good for golf though ? These people that suddenly turn up when woods is playing are Woods fans not golf fans so when he doesn’t play then go away again - is it helping the sport ?

The over the top reaction whenever he hit the ball was pathetic - you would think he was saving lives with the reaction.

Just wish the reaction from the Woods fans , media etc would just calm down because it will also put some people off because of the hysteria.

Why wouldn't it be? If 1 person more watches it when they normally wouldn't surely that is a good thing?

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Surely the majority of Woods fans will be golf fans too?? Why will the hysteria put golfers and potential golfers off?? Hype brings people to the game.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

As someone who advocates golf coverage being on platforms such as BBC so more eople can see it, how can you not think more people viewing is a good thing?

My daughter spent probably 15 hours this weekend watching it. She recognises spieth, Rory and Stenson albeit I had to explain the cut.....

She also likes Michelson for his shots girl previous weeks. Butnhands down she preferred woods. She loves the noise and atmosphere he creates.

Tiger woods is still the biggest draw in golf by a distance. And will be fir Some time.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whats pathetic about it? Golf is considerably better when Tiger is playing.

Its back in the news , non-golfers begin to take notice again etc.

I don't understand people that don't like Tiger, he is the single most important thing in the game today, and will continue to be until the day he quits.

I would bet my house on the fact, that if Tiger played on the seniors tour, more people would watch that event that the PGA tour event being played at the same time.

tiger influence encourages everything i hate about golf

the brain dead fans that screem even when he hooks one hard left

the "mashed potatoes"

the constant coverage regardless of his form

its also cringe worthy how far up his arse people are. i can't understand why people adore another individual they haven't even met with almost desperation. its embarrassing that fully grown men have a crush on another man.

i have nothing against tiger. when he plays good golf its fantastic to watch. but he is just a man. not superman, a man.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So..
He didn't win.
A good performance and a good finish though.
Can we get back to some semblance of normality now..?
Paroxysms of delight every time he gets the ball within 30 feet of the hole....perlease.....
I know he's been away for a while and it's good to have him back playing..
But give it a rest for the love of God...
People having instant multiples when he knocks it close...
The one bit I saw was on Thursday or Friday and he knocked it to 7 or 8 feet from 160 out.
The commentary team nearly wet themselves. It's as if nobody has ever hit one so close in the history of the game
I bet they see 3 or 4 shots equally as close every hour...
I find the whole circus embarrassing..
It's good to have Tiger back playing but it's time to calm down a bit.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
At least Tiger is making headlines for all the right reasons. Viewing figures up, increased attendance and I would guess a greater return for the sponsor's money. There has been an obsession with Tiger since the late 1990s so it's hardly a phenomenon we are witnessing.
Good for golf? Absolutely. At least the biggest name in golf was providing full value for money compared to two from the world's top 10.
As for the fans reaction, the US crowds are naturally more raucous and most players have been on the end of "mashed potato" but the fact that Tiger looked dead and buried not so long ago and looks like he is back competing with the best it's understandable that they are going to be excited.
Not everyone may like him but Tiger is a golfing hero for many and golf would do well to cash in on him while he is still around.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Good to see him back and in contention, that putt on 17 was excellent. Although the number of replays felt a tad excessive.

Was strange watching it though, as I never personally felt like he was actually going to win, just didn’t seem like he got going in the last round to ramp up the pressure.

In terms of playing with him, i think they shared a stat on Snedeker, where he was something like +8 for rounds paired with Tiger on a Sunday. He then had a bit of a stinker yday. So it certainly affects some of the pros.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Start of by saying I don't dislike Tiger. He's obviously one of the greatest ever.

But even in his pomp I hated the media coverage. The would cut away from the lead group in order to show Tiger way back in the field tapping in for par. It is even worse now, Casey shoots a 65 with 21 putts to come from pretty far back and win for the first time in 9 years, and all we hear is about Tiger.

It's good to see him back, but the media have to learn that there's a lot of us who want to see golf not just the Tiger show

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Well that minuscule group of people put off obviously has no effect on the record viewing and attendance figures when Woods is there.
Just admit, you're the biggest Tiger fan here..:rofl: ''

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good to see him back and in contention, that putt on 17 was excellent. Although the number of replays felt a tad excessive.

Was strange watching it though, as I never personally felt like he was actually going to win, just didn’t seem like he got going in the last round to ramp up the pressure.

In terms of playing with him, i think they shared a stat on Snedeker, where he was something like +8 for rounds paired with Tiger on a Sunday. He then had a bit of a stinker yday. So it certainly affects some of the pros.
He also matched tiger on Saturday....

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Start of by saying I don't dislike Tiger. He's obviously one of the greatest ever.

But even in his pomp I hated the media coverage. The would cut away from the lead group in order to show Tiger way back in the field tapping in for par. It is even worse now, Casey shoots a 65 with 21 putts to come from pretty far back and win for the first time in 9 years, and all we hear is about Tiger.

It's good to see him back, but the media have to learn that there's a lot of us who want to see golf not just the Tiger show
If you’re the media, do you a) cater for the masses b) cater for the minority

pretty sure A is the answer.

more tiger please

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
If you’re the media, do you a) cater for the masses b) cater for the minority

pretty sure A is the answer.

more tiger please

I don't think it is the minority. Most golfer I know want to watch golf, if the coverage is Tiger heavy they will still want to watch golf, just have no choice.

The other point is when Tiger went missing for all those years all we heard is that golf wouldn't recover and viewing figures were down etc is this not down to the media circus and frenzy surrounding one player for more than a decade and then that player getting long term injured. You could see after where the media were trying to turn Rory into the new Tiger.

The sensible thing would be to not build Tiger into this all consuming media monster again, because he is 42 and won't be around for ever, and when he retires he will leave another vacuum created by the media.

By all means show Tiger and if he is near the top of the leaderboard he's going to get more airtime. But it's probably not good to ignore other golfers to accommodate him, it will just create problems further down the road.

ON a personal note I would much rather see a full flowing Rory in form and Tiger

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think it is the minority. Most golfer I know want to watch golf, if the coverage is Tiger heavy they will still want to watch golf, just have no choice.

The other point is when Tiger went missing for all those years all we heard is that golf wouldn't recover and viewing figures were down etc is this not down to the media circus and frenzy surrounding one player for more than a decade and then that player getting long term injured. You could see after where the media were trying to turn Rory into the new Tiger.

The sensible thing would be to not build Tiger into this all consuming media monster again, because he is 42 and won't be around for ever, and when he retires he will leave another vacuum created by the media.

By all means show Tiger and if he is near the top of the leaderboard he's going to get more airtime. But it's probably not good to ignore other golfers to accommodate him, it will just create problems further down the road.

ON a personal note I would much rather see a full flowing Rory in form and Tiger

youre wrong. Just look at the viewing figures this week. People want tiger, plain and simple

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
youre wrong. Just look at the viewing figures this week. People want tiger, plain and simple

But if they had done normal coverage then those people tuning in to see Tiger would have still seen him. But the rest of us wouldn't have have sycophantic coverage and been able to enjoy a great tournament.

Also how about discussing what I wrote rather than saying I'm wrong and pointing to a statistic that bears no relevance.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But if they had done normal coverage then those people tuning in to see Tiger would have still seen him. But the rest of us wouldn't have have sycophantic coverage and been able to enjoy a great tournament.

Also how about discussing what I wrote rather than saying I'm wrong and pointing to a statistic that bears no relevance.

In this case tiger was in contention and so the coverage would have been about him And the masses watched. If he was tied last and they stopped showing him, do you think the masses would have stayed to watch rose, snedeker etc fall away? Or would they have switched off. Therefor harming viewing figures. Tv viewing figures dictate a companies ability to sell advertising space. So it would be foolish of them to not show their most marketable asset.

Also, didn’t sky get their pictures from an american company? Pretty sure that whikst here people may get a little sick of seeing tiger. In the good ol U S of A he is still the main man and they want to see him. Hence the attendance and viewing spikes when he plays.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whether we like Tiger or not and whether he is back or not to a degree is pointless.

Tiger IS golf to the media, he increases attendance, increases viewing figures, he increases participation, he has done more for golf in the modern era than any other player.

We all have our favourites who we’d like to see win and for those who don’t want to see Tiger win, you’d better hope he doesn’t win The Masters because if he does it will go to another level.

Personally, I like to see golf played at the highest level and if it’s Tiger playing it then good luck to him.