The Whisky Thread

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
So here it is, the place to discuss all things whisky.

As a starter, here’s the driver’s drams from the two recent trips to Laphroaig’s distillery; one set from the tour, the other from the warehouse tasting where Mrs BiM and I both drew off enough of one of the drams to fill our 200ml bottles. Very interesting experience.BD98D537-1256-4CAF-99D3-8FFA85A160E1.jpeg

RichA

Visit site
Making my way through a 10year old Jura which I have had for years. Enjoy Laphroag but HID reckons it’s something that has bee filtered through a cats litter.
Yep. MrsA isn't keen on my love for Laphroaig. She claims she can smell it from upstairs if I'm drinking it in the living room.
Don't drink as much whisky as I used to and stocks have recently run dry. Might have to see what Tesco have got at the weekend, although browsing on Amazon yesterday their prices are pretty competitive at the moment.
I'm currently deeply in a rum phase. Duppy Share White Rum, sipped neat, shares a lot of the sensations of my favourite malts but obviously with totally different flavours.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I was based up in Moray in the late 90s, I used to drive back home down the Spey Valley. When it was my Granddad's birthday, or Christmas, I always got calls from family to pop into a distillery on the way home to pick him up a bottle as a gift. he suffered from Parkinson's and it was his evening treat to have a glass. The staff in the distilleries were always a bit put out that i didn't want to taste any as I can't stand the stuff, the smell puts me right off before I even taste it :sick:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to mix with Pepsi Max. But current fav drink without mixing is Singleton followed by Monkey Shoulder and Jura aged in rum barrels.For mixing it's Whyte and Makay when on offer at Tesco.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Funny tale from the USA. Back in 1994 we had a meal at a restaurant in LA, and retired to the bar afterwards.
I ordered a Lagavulin, and it came in a tall tumbler with loads of ice. I sighed at their incompetence, but drank it anyway.
The barman came over and asked if we wanted another.
"Yes please, another Lagavulin, but without ice. You shouldn't put ice in malt whisky".
So the next one was neat, but in another tall tumbler and up to the same level. Must have been a quadruple at least :D

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
So here it is, the place to discuss all things whisky.

As a starter, here’s the driver’s drams from the two recent trips to Laphroaig’s distillery; one set from the tour, the other from the warehouse tasting where Mrs BiM and I both drew off enough of one of the drams to fill our 200ml bottles. Very interesting experience.View attachment 44774

I am working through a bottle of Lore at the moment. So smooth but at that price it is one for an occasional only.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Details of 3 of the Laphroaig samples in the photo. We filled our bottles from cask 0102. One of the other samples was a bonus that I don’t have details of, the other 4 are core range. B4674515-E67D-4655-BCB7-F3F8DBDBC1E8.jpeg

NeilV

Visit site
A thread a I can relate to! Can't say that I'm a massive fan of the phenolic TCP flavoured Laphraoig or Ardbeg, but I'm currently working my way through these bottles:

W2.jpgW1.jpgW3.jpgW4.jpg
The SMWS ones are left to right, Caol Ila, Inchmurrin, Speyburn.

And I'm patiently waiting for my cask of Highland Park to mature. Around 325 bottles of either investment or massive party.
HP.jpg

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I picked up a very nice bottle of Glen Moray Marsala Cask Finish after a distillery tour during my golfing trip up to Scotland back in July.

Have a fairly wide ranging collection....love a Laphroaig but even more so a Caol Ila. Some Glenglassaugh Revival, Old Pultney, Tomatin, Bunnuhabhain and some Bowmore Dark also grace my shelf of Whisky's amongst others.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
After my most recent Hole in One, I asked our bar manager to put on the bar a good single malt and a good brandy. The whisky he put on was a 12-year old Bunnahabhain (46.3% ABV) which I had never tried before or even heard of. People were raving about it so much that I had to stand guard to prevent multiple visits.

Bunnahabhain.jpg

D

Deleted member 1147

Was looking around my wine merchants yesterday in London and treated my Dad to a bottle of 18yo Tullamore Dew.
Any good?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hope this thread doesn't get full of bell.......s. :)

I like my single malts, but havent a clue on distilling, barrels etc. Bought a book but havent started it yet.

My favourite out of the 20-30 I've tried is definitely an Oban though.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
After struggling with a Lagavulin Distillers edition for 2 years I was not over enthused when last week my BIL gifted (actually think regifted judging by the torn label) me a bottle of 16 year old Lag… but how wrong I was, it’s very very good. Peatier that my preferred Highland Park but I’m a fan!
53A52A91-36FB-4646-AB5A-F1A1C38E521C.jpeg