The value of lessons

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve had my first session at the range after this lesson

I always have a random old club lying about the house somewhere and after quite a few drinks one night I picked it up and started swinging and I felt like I understood something better than in the lesson

During this first session back at the range I hit it better than ever before and having confidence again

Golf is a funny game

Maybe the solution is to have a few drinks before the round ?

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Golf lessons are like medicine, if you get prescribed the right stuff you'll improve.
I've just had a few lessons which simple thing we're pointed out I was standing to close to the ball (no wise cracks) I was also so concerned about a good impact position that I was starting with my hands much to far forward causing me to take the club inside way to much at the start of my backswing.
As most decent golfers know if you've not got the basics right it makes the game so much harder.
As for a pro getting ratty with me the lesson would end there and then.
YouTube is full of lessons, but like medicine you can overdose and the results can be fatal, to your game that is.
I get a good laugh at the hit it 300yds effortlessly clowns, when you consider some tour pros still can't hit it that far.
One thing my pro emphasised was not to go onto the course with a head full of swing thoughts they're for the practice ground and at that only a few each session.

Chico84

Visit site
Maybe the solution is to have a few drinks before the round ?

You joke, but my last round was played with an ungodly hangover (several bottles of red, a few pints and some lovely single malt to finish of the previous night). I played some of my best golf ever with the first three holes being a par, birdie and par.

Admittedly it did all fall apart on the back nine so maybe I should have just carried a hip flask round with me to keep topped up.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Golf lessons are like medicine, if you get prescribed the right stuff you'll improve.
Nothing to do with what comes from a bottle. You only improve if your swing can't get any worse.
We are led to believe that things can only get better. That is a lie. Things can only get worse. It's the law of entropy which applies to all life and the Universe (2nd Law of Thermodynamics).
Even Professor Brian Cox has admitted this after his pop song 'Things can only get better'.
It's also the reason why everything is constantly changing from the cells in your body to your golf swing. All for the worse.

One thing my pro emphasised was not to go onto the course with a head full of swing thoughts they're for the practice ground and at that only a few each session.
2 or 3 at the most. Ask him what are those you should remember. As they won't work the next day you'll be back for another lesson. He knows you cannot lick the golf swing.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Nothing to do with what comes from a bottle. You only improve if your swing can't get any worse.
We are led to believe that things can only get better. That is a lie. Things can only get worse. It's the law of entropy which applies to all life and the Universe (2nd Law of Thermodynamics).
Even Professor Brian Cox has admitted this after his pop song 'Things can only get better'.
It's also the reason why everything is constantly changing from the cells in your body to your golf swing. All for the worse.

Please do not try to justify the drivel you are spouting by comparing it to science.

Chico84

Visit site
Everything (and I mean everything) works off the 2nd Law of Themodynamics.

Assuming you are correct then perhaps people get lessons to get less worse, or worse at a slower rate. Nowt wrong with that.

For what it’s worth I think you are using science badly here, otherwise none of us would learn to walk, talk, eat, etc from the day we are born.

ferenezejohn

Visit site
Seems to be a few on here who think a pro is only out to fleece them.
Most higher handicap golfers have bad habits ingrained in there swing and these things are hard to get rid of.
Probably many who go for a lesson and don't get an immediate fix blame the pro.
When you've been doing something wrong repeatably it's hard to change and you better believe that you'll hit some lousy shots in the progress of making swing changes to get better.
Most weekend golfers are not willing to put the work in but if you are you'll reap the benefits.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Everything (and I mean everything) works off the 2nd Law of Themodynamics.

In the great pantheon of the GM Forum there has been some real crap written and I'm probably more culpable than most, but this has to be the daftest thing ever. Assuming you are correct (and I don't believe you are) then how does anyone improve. Even honest professionals like Bob started somewhere and good as he is/was I bet even he had to have lessons and work hard to improve. Things can always get better. That doesn't relate just to golf.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Assuming you are correct (and I don't believe you are) then how does anyone improve.
There is always a point in life where things can only tend to get worse, and it's earlier than you might think. It may be in your early 20's. If you haven't mastered something by then you probably never will.
We are all ruled by entropy (2nd law of thermodynamics).
It means telomeres in cells get shorter, cells die, mitochondria burn out, the brain shrivels, cancers develop, muscle mass decreases, you get older and die.
Order always tends to disorder in both living and non living things.
Golf requires strength, balance, flexibility and brain function which do not improve as you get older.
We don't get faster, smarter or warmer as we age. In the end we are likely to be little more than worm or plant food.
Things can always get better. That doesn't relate just to golf.
Only in the very short term.

willie12RB

Visit site
Get yourself a good pro and you'll improve. That is guaranteed as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly, it's all about how much time a person can spend on his or her growth of personal and individual skills. And in my exact conditions, I knew for sure, that I need an instructor for the beginning. That's why I've simply visited this Golf Instructor resource, which can help with hiring a professional golf instructor for such teaching and tutoring.

Last edited:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to have two hours a month on lessons when I first started for a number of years.

The added value is I can cure my faults fairly quickly. I’ve been through every swing fault numerous times and lessons gave me the tools to fix them.

I have a lesson a couple of times a season. Usually a catch up chat and check my grip is good and posture is right and the odd swing tip but nothing like the full swing rework and leaving with a head like a shed like I used to.

It’s incredibly refreshing to be confident that your swing will perform on the day and you won’t be NRing after the 5th hole because you’ve shanked every iron including your putter.

Couldn’t recommend lessons enough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Used to have two hours a month on lessons when I first started for a number of years.

The added value is I can cure my faults fairly quickly. I’ve been through every swing fault numerous times and lessons gave me the tools to fix them.

I have a lesson a couple of times a season. Usually a catch up chat and check my grip is good and posture is right and the odd swing tip but nothing like the full swing rework and leaving with a head like a shed like I used to.

It’s incredibly refreshing to be confident that your swing will perform on the day and you won’t be NRing after the 5th hole because you’ve shanked every iron including your putter.

Couldn’t recommend lessons enough.

I'm with you. I have scaled lessons down (Covid responsible for some of that) but have only gone for a swing MOT when things have gone awry on the course for a few rounds. I have several set up issues that keep coming back (too far away and too hunched over a big one). Usually hit balls under the pros gaze for several minutes a change to a couple of things and then it's back to straight and longer shots. Take it away and work on it for a while. Falls back into place and then it'll tail off after 4-6 months so back for a tidy up

gary996

Visit site
I stopped seeing a pro at the range I go to, despite still chatting to him whenever I see him since. He’s a nice guy but I didn’t feel like he explained any changes very well. The guy I see now takes a couple videos, works out my patterns and then explains in good detail what I’m doing any how it’s impacting trackman numbers. He then sets off on a drill that we work on for the session. At the end he compares the swings side by side and shows me the difference in numbers. I’m 100% paralysed by analysis but the lesson structure is so good that I’m instantly in agreement which helps me fully commit.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really enjoy golf lessons. For the past 3 and a half / 4 years I've probably had one every 8-12 weeks. Sometimes shorter if a problem crops up in the season. In this time my handicap has improved to 4.4 and even shot a couple of under par rounds. I buy the lessons in sets of 5 and see Phil Archer at Poulton Park in Warrington. Having seen a few pros over the years I've been playing, I cant speak highly enough of Phil. Explain things very simply and I always walk out of the lesson with only a couple of swing thoughts and hitting the ball so much better.

A good measure of my improvement and consistency is that despite playing and practising a lot less last year due to covid , my handicap improved a little.

Last edited: