The value of lessons

sussexhacker

Visit site
Has anyone ever left a lesson feeling dejected and in worse shape than they went in with?

I’ve had a lesson in which I felt like I was being asked to juggle 15 chainsaws while standing on a tightrope and told it’s not hard to do it

I was about 3/4 lessons in and struggling to put everything together into one swing then I get the pro come in say watch this, so I watch him swing and hit it easily (he’s a pro he’s not proving it’s easy by showing me how easy it is for him)

Then I have to stand there and watch him get annoyed that I struggle to do the roughly 10 things he wants me to change in my swing after 5 minutes and tell me it’s really not that difficult

So I finish the lesson and head back to the range and I just feel so lost and after I went to warm up before the lesson hitting it well for me I probably topped about 15 balls in a row to 10 yards in front of me and just feel like my enjoyment of golf went from 100% to zero

Anyone had a similar experience?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Why did you choose that particular pro? And did you explain your concerns to him?

Changing that many things will always be difficult for a handicap golfer, it doesn't sound like good work on his part.

sussexhacker

Visit site
I’m thinking of finding someone else

I tried explaining that I’m really struggling to do everything how he’s explaining and that I struggle anyway to break it down into stages when swinging because I need the momentum to feel what’s going on

If he says make sure you’re doing this then I can’t do the other bits then when I’ve got that bit I lose the rest of it

sussexhacker

Visit site
I almost feel I’d be better off just getting out on the course and playing

Last summer I’d regularly go round Seaford head in 110/120 and over the last few rounds I’ve been able to avoid storms and frost I’ve been consistently under 100 even before I started lessons

RangeMonkey

Visit site
A pro that gets annoyed because you are not getting what he’s saying doesn’t deserve to be a pro, imho.

You should never leave a lesson feeling frustrated. Part of being a good coach is in providing confidence and encouragement, as well as being able to change the instruction to suit the student.

If my pro says “try this”, and he sees I’m not getting it within a few swings, he has two or three other approaches to achieving the same end, and he tries those until we find something that works for me.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had the opposite experience to you: I turn up at the lessons feeling dejected and frustrated - even saying I’m just about giving up - and I leave feeling happy and confident.

That’s a big part of being a good pro as far as I’m concerned.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would try another coach who you feel comfortable with. Your current coach may suit some people, but it sounds like he’s not working for you.

We are lucky at my club in that we have three pros to choose from. The first I tried just didn’t work for me, but the second one clicked and has improved my ball striking. Ideally, a good coach should keep it simple so that you do not have too much going on in your head.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
“Some people need to know a little, the others need to know everything”.

This was said about Henrik Stenson who is incredibly technical and agonises over minute detail.

Jon Rahm hasn’t had a technical thought in years. Both good players I’d say...

Find a coach that suits you, this one may be great for someone else and get their recommendation, but they’re not for you. Don’t feel disloyal, it’s just the way it is. Move on.

Wolf

Visit site
Sounds like the pro your using is wanting you to change to much at once then compounding his mistake of asking that of you by getting annoyed at you. I'd be binning him off sharpish. Find a new pro explain to them you like to learn in smaller parts and you will start seeing improvements and not wasting your money.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Then I have to stand there and watch him get annoyed that I struggle to do the roughly 10 things he wants me to change in my swing after 5 minutes and tell me it’s really not that difficult

That's wierd because during training, pros are specifically taught NOT to overload the info.

One quick question, how far apart are your lessons?

I would agree with previous advice though and maybe find another pro.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The first thing I would do is tell the pro you are not happy with his teaching methods. Explain you have paid good money for help and it is not being given. Also you do not have the same skill level as him being say a 28 handicapper.

Ask him how HE intends to improve his coaching skills!

Reactions: C&R

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sounds like you need to change to someone else.
However, did you go to him with some specific elements (or targets) that you either perceived, or know, needed changing / fixing?
My best lessons have always been when I have spelt out the problem or given him a realistic targeted outcome.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good lessons are priceless. Bad ones are.... you know.

Everyone's coaching style will nor suit every pupil... I would have said to him, "sorry mate, to many changes for my brain to process in one go!" If he can't adapt to what helps you, don't go back. Talented players at any sport can't always get the message over as a coach. I don't see the value of him saying "watch this" other than his ego.

Wonder where this was!

sussexhacker

Visit site
I don’t think I’ll be having another lesson there I just don’t want to leave the place feeling down about golf and questioning more than when I went in again

sussexhacker

Visit site
I stood there near the end of my bucket after topping my 10th ball in a row and nearly said sod it and walked off in a huff but I just stood and watched a couple of old boys and thought their swing looks awful and nothing like what the guys trying to get me to achieve but the balls still going down the range and straight and most of all they look like they’re enjoying themselves, so why not just try and enjoy the game? I’m not going to be a pro so should I just try and enjoy myself instead?

Last edited by a moderator:

sussexhacker

Visit site
This guy sounds like a resident know all who obviously does not know how to teach.
Try watching a few Y/T videos.

Watching YouTube coaching really does me no good at all

I think I feel like I take all advice on board and feel like I’m doing it how it’s explained but when I video it it’s not even close

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s all your fault mate. If you’re not getting it by now then you should give up golf. He’s a pro so obviously he knows what he’s doing. All pros use the same approach, so it won’t work better with anyone else.

If you believe that, then stick with the pro. If not then you know what to do.