The value of lessons

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
The best instructor is likely to be yourself.
Throw out what doesn't work and try again.
Don't waste too much time and money on lessons. The pro wants you to keep coming back. He knows nothing works for long.
The only golf wisdom I know is in whatever way you swing the club you need to bring it back square to the ball on impact.
You can even practice this without a ball. Set up a tee, swing the club slowly and see what the club face is doing just before impact, and then beyond.
Unless you don't want to hit a straight shot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The swing is like a line of dominos.
If the first bit is out the rest is likely to be ,unless you make a big adjustment.
To give someone to much info in one lesson is the wrong way to do it imo.
So back to basics and find a pro who teaches with a smile never a scowl.
A recommendation would be good so where are you one of the members here might point you in the right direction.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You do need someone else to point you in the right direction for often things that you don't relaise you're doing.
Like you didn't realise you'd spelt realise wrong?

Lee Trevino quote: "The great thing about being self-taught is that you can correct yourself on the course".
Many others might agree such as Bubba Watson.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Like you didn't realise you'd spelt realise wrong?

Lee Trevino quote: "The great thing about being self-taught is that you can correct yourself on the course".
Many others might agree such as Bubba Watson.
How many golfers in the history of golf are completely self taught and not influenced by any other golfer ? None. They might not have had coaches but you can be assured they have studied swings, methods, had conversations with other guys and will have changed things as a result. Even Ben Hogan who is regarded as the guy who dug his golf swing out of the dirt was not completely self taught, they dont have coaches as other guys do but they will integrate things into their game in their own way. Biggest reason Trevino and Watson didn't have a coach is simply because they couldn't afford one.

If you dont mind me asking how far has your own wisdom taken you in the game of golf ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How many golfers in the history of golf are completely self taught and not influenced by any other golfer ? None. They might not have had coaches but you can be assured they have studied swings, methods, had conversations with other guys and will have changed things as a result. Even Ben Hogan who is regarded as the guy who dug his golf swing out of the dirt was not completely self taught, they dont have coaches as other guys do but they will integrate things into their game in their own way. Biggest reason Trevino and Watson didn't have a coach is simply because they couldn't afford one.

If you dont mind me asking how far has your own wisdom taken you in the game of golf ?

if you think he’s got wisdom you've clearly not read any of his other posts

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Went to one of the top coaching pro's in the early noughties. At the time he was doing good things with an emerging Graeme Storm. 3 lessons in I decided it wasn't for me. I hadn't a clue half the time what language he was talking, and my game went to rat's droppings very quickly. Took me 6 months to get over it. His record was good, and is still good. We didn't connect. As much my fault as his.

If one coach doesn't work for you, go and try another.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For the majority, if we want to improve we need professional input. It's like a host of other roles in every day life, you could do it yourself, but there is a risk attached to getting it right. In my opinion, the issue for most with youtube as a learning device is sorting the wheat from the chaff and then when you work on something knowing what feel v real is like

If I was the OP I'd be asking around at my club or local range about who is good and who has worked well with someone. Word of mouth in a lot of things is a very good source

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Went to one of the top coaching pro's in the early noughties. At the time he was doing good things with an emerging Graeme Storm. 3 lessons in I decided it wasn't for me. I hadn't a clue half the time what language he was talking, and my game went to rat's droppings very quickly. Took me 6 months to get over it. His record was good, and is still good. We didn't connect. As much my fault as his.

If one coach doesn't work for you, go and try another.

Out of curiosity was it Andrew Nicholson

carldudley

Visit site
Not exactly the same as the OP but yes.

I tried a new guy at a local range, first lesson was good, got me hitting further & more consistent.

Second worked on driver which is what i wanted and saw improvements.

However, both times and the third we were just plowing through balls.He'd give me a tip or tell me to hit the alignment stick etc and if i didn't do it in say 10 goes he didn't change anything, just told me to keep going.

Clearly something needed changing or tweaking but he just told me to keep hitting the stick. I am off to see a new chap that reached out to me at a studio in a nearby town.

OP - sounds like he's changing too many thinks all at once, my old coach would change one thing and make it stick, even if it was hooking left. The week after we'd try to correct that until we got it spot on - it's a slow process.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I have a strange relationship with lessons, usually spend the half hour overthinking what im being told, tensing up and unable to hit the ball, go away and sleep on it and usually the next session at the range i see an improvement. The biggest breakthrough for me was learning to relax over the ball, im fairly happy that i have the fundamentals locked into muscle memory pretty well so now just concentrate on being relaxed and swinging freely.

U

User62651

Last lesson I took didn't go well, shanked half the pros balls into the adjacent river!
I was playing off 4 or 5 at the time but it looked more like 25.
Didn't go back but I did take on board the instruction.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if its not working out, change...

ive been to 3 pros, two were SGU developement squad coaches on of which taught Russell Knox, he was the worste... for me anyway TBH he wanted to give me the swing of Earnie Els, very technical to but was unable to work with my lack of flexibilty. the guy guy i use now is very good at explainging things works within my limitation and is always there to bounce thoughts and problems off, far better for me.

you need to find out who is best for you.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The best instructor is likely to be yourself.
Throw out what doesn't work and try again.
Don't waste too much time and money on lessons. The pro wants you to keep coming back. He knows nothing works for long.
The only golf wisdom I know is in whatever way you swing the club you need to bring it back square to the ball on impact.
You can even practice this without a ball. Set up a tee, swing the club slowly and see what the club face is doing just before impact, and then beyond.
Unless you don't want to hit a straight shot.

Couldn't disagree more with this.

Sure there may be situations where you can work out a problem and how to fix it, but I actually think that is a skill that most handicap golfers won't have. And in fact most tour pro's don't either and will have regular contact with a coach.

A good pro would be able to take the same situation and tell you what the problem is and how to fix it. And give you far more confidence that the solution is correct.

Your view on 'The pro wants you to keep coming back' is very cynical. As in you think he's going to actually give you duff information so you book another lesson!?! Absolute nonsense. Most pro's - especially those at a range who earn all revenue through lessons - rely on repeat custom because they get to know someone and give them reliable info and good tuition.

Ok - I accept lessons cost money and there will be a greater return for some people over others, but if Rory McIlroy and Brooks Koepka keep going back for coaching, then you'd need to be a fool to deprive yourself of someone's expertise.