The value of lessons

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Watching YouTube coaching really does me no good at all
There are different types of coaches on YouTube, just like there are different types of coaches out there.

I am an over thinker, and until January I used a very technical guy. I did great in the session and finishing the bucket if after that, but I quickly lost that on the course and on practice session after.
Then he recommended I go to a guy who I went to shirt game workshops with. I only had one lesson with him so far, but a fortnight later I still hit a call straight but shorter. I get longer by the practice session and am now comfortable up to 8 iron up.
I don’t have many swing thoughts and positions to hit, I just flow now.

The woods are dead at the moment, but hopefully once the cone back I am in happy land.

I am probably doing the same as before but with coach 1 I was trying to get too much into my head and with coach 2 I am just hitting the ball.

Both good coaches, but different styles.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Watching YouTube coaching really does me no good at all
When I first started playing I read books and magazines like GM and then watched videos.
Granted, none of them will suddenly turn you into a good player, and neither will lessons (I've only ever had 3).
I was also tempted to give up at several points.
What you need is practice and perseverance along with a reliable technique.
Get someone to teach you the overlapping grip. That will be a good start because it's the grip that repays you the most.

RangeMonkey

Visit site
I topped nearly 600 balls consecutively over a period of just over a month, just a few weeks ago. I took two weeks off, then a lesson, then went back to my practice really slowly and deliberately.

I started a thread on here called “woe is me” if you want to read some very miserable and whiny posts.

I‘m fortunate that, whilst I’m rubbish, my pro is great. It sounds like you need a new pro to me.

I also realise now that my head was just awash with swing thoughts. My pro had given me a new thought at each lesson, assuming I’d been able to “bed in” the previous. He made it clear I should only think of one or two things prior to each swing, but me, obviously knowing better, gave myself a bad case of brain worms.

When I came back after a coup,e of weeks off, I gave myself one thought prior to each swing: “Relax, and hit it like they do on the telly”.

Now, I definitely don’t hit it like they do on the telly, but it got the mess out of my head, and allowed me to get things back in control.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Interlocking grip is derived from the overlapping.
You have to give both a try. For me it's the overlap.
Historically among tour players the Vardon overlapping grip has been far the most popular.
The handlebar and 10 fingered grips have been used on tour and can still work, so just experiment.
It probably depends on how strong your wrists are.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The last thing my last pro would say at the end of a lesson was "Have you got any questions; is there anything you want me to explain?" His attitude was that if I wasn't understanding it it was his fault for not explaining it. If your pro is getting cross because you aren't understanding it, ask him why he's not explaining it properly or take your money elsewhere.

Chico84

Visit site
As others have said it is probably worth finding a different pro.

As a beginner my first instructor was brilliant and never added more than one of two things per lesson, and often nothing at all beyond what we discussed previously. He wanted to develop my natural swing and just looked to tweak things to sort any major issues.

Now I have one to one lessons and the pro is also really good at only focusing on a couple of things per lesson or bedding in previous elements. I get a video summary after each lesson for what to work on each week.

After my second lesson I found I had more than enough to work on With three or four thoughts. It took a bit of time for me to bed these in so if you’ve got ten different things to think of it’s no wonder you are struggling.

I chose my current pro based on seeing a load of YouTube videos he has made and I liked his style. Maybe see if any other pros near you have done the same and chose one from that information.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first thing to do is tell you coach this issue. You may switch coach and find the same problem continues.

Communication is key, and change doesn’t come without effort.

I’m Feeling I’ve got worse after my last lesson but my pro will help me through it if I explain my problems.

bradleywedge

Visit site
First bit of advice I would give is don't worry about your score means nothing at this stage, you will end up getting bogged down and obsessed by it. Just concentrate on going out and hitting a few good shots and enjoy it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been there and suffered the pain. I've had teachers that have made me feel like a contortionist and seemed to change the whole thing again week after week and could never find any level of consistency or progress despite hitting loads of balls, sending videos to him and asking for more help

Some of it may have been of my own doing as I used to be very technical about the swing and then had thousand of thoughts on the course. These days I have (and trying to take it even further) simplified it all down. The guy I have used for the last 3-4 years is brilliant. Keeps it very simple even at the beginning when there were big changes to make, and we did it over a 6 or 7 lesson series spread over about 6 months. Even now nothing feels like a major change is usually something very simple and I have learned to simply trust his input. I now think I am more of a feel position and let the ball flight and distance dictate how I am swinging and as long as I understand what caused bad shots that's all I need

To the OP I'd simply say go back to the guy you are seeing and be totally blunt that to date his technique has failed and you aren't getting what he's asking, don't like how he's teaching you and that unless he can show you something that leads to some clear and positive progress you'll look for someone else. If you don't how will he know there's an issue?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I don’t think I’ll be having another lesson there I just don’t want to leave the place feeling down about golf and questioning more than when I went in again
We’re all different and therefore one pro does not work for everyone in my opinion. A friend of mine is getting lessons and he feels he’s stalled in progress over the last couple of lessons. I said change pro and he said he felt like he needed to show a bit of loyalty. I pointed out that he’s paying him for help and not getting the lessons for free. If the service doesn’t work.....

have a look around and find one that fits you but don’t be afraid to move on too. Bruce lee mentioned something about limiting yourself to one styles to if I recall. ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have not booked a block of lessons with this guy simply walk away, if you have tell him the changes you have already made you haven't managed to make good yet and youd like to go over them again. It's very little information to go on but he doesn't sound like a very experienced coach. a good coach will find out how much you practice, how much effort your putting in to change and they will find their method with you on that basis. If you only go to the range 3 times per week it's not worth giving you any more than 1 or 2 things to work on as you simply need the time to focus on these areas of change, you dont need your mind cluttered with points of information that he thinks may or may not help you after you can do the first bits of change. You need adequate time to make the changes. I've seen various coaches through the years and have seen different styles but also different ranges of knowledge. You want to avoid the coaches who do their PGA and dont really try and further their knowledge very much after that, these guys have lost the will to live. Good coaches generally have lots of info on them, a coaching cv if you like and will generally have good name in the area or even the region. From what you've said I wouldn't be paying the guy your currently seeing another penny

sussexhacker

Visit site
I think there’s a big difference between your average lesson giving pro and the best you see doing YouTube videos

I’ve watched a few Golficity videos on YouTube and if I could find a local version of Kevin sprecher I’d be beyond happy

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I think there’s a big difference between your average lesson giving pro and the best you see doing YouTube videos

I’ve watched a few Golficity videos on YouTube and if I could find a local version of Kevin sprecher I’d be beyond happy
Alot of the guys on YouTube arnt actually that great when it comes to the golf swing, there are a few exceptions who are good dan Whittaker, chris Ryan and Shaun Clement are good to name a few but you can find coaches as good or better relatively locally. You want to be looking at the coaches who coach for the national union etc you can be sure most of the time these guys are going to have at the least half decent credentials. I'd avoid driving range coaches who dont have much to their name unless you are a complete beginner. If your looking for the best coaches though you will be paying £50+ per hour and remember coaches are only as good as the folk they are teaching, if you go for a lesson and dont put the hours in dont expect just having the information of what will improve you to actually make much difference unless you are putting the required effort in

Daveg99

Visit site
Sounds like he’s losing patience and wants to throw everything he needs to tell you at once! I’d move on and find someone new. I’ve been really lucky with the pro at my club but think it’s best you try someone new

sussexhacker

Visit site
Alot of the guys on YouTube arnt actually that great when it comes to the golf swing, there are a few exceptions who are good dan Whittaker, chris Ryan and Shaun Clement are good to name a few but you can find coaches as good or better relatively locally. You want to be looking at the coaches who coach for the national union etc you can be sure most of the time these guys are going to have at the least half decent credentials. I'd avoid driving range coaches who dont have much to their name unless you are a complete beginner. If your looking for the best coaches though you will be paying £50+ per hour and remember coaches are only as good as the folk they are teaching, if you go for a lesson and dont put the hours in dont expect just having the information of what will improve you to actually make much difference unless you are putting the required effort in

I would understand if I was turning up to lessons having not been to the range or out on the course in between and wasn’t getting results but I’m playing when possible (so not a lot and not within the last 3/4 weeks) and going to the range probably 3/4 times a week

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I would understand if I was turning up to lessons having not been to the range or out on the course in between and wasn’t getting results but I’m playing when possible (so not a lot and not within the last 3/4 weeks) and going to the range probably 3/4 times a week
If your putting the effort in and it's not helping then bin him, speak to other golfers in the area, look online for the top pro's in your area and pick the one which suits best. No point listening to a guy who isnt helping and doesn't listen to what a paying customer is telling him

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have just this year changed my tutor, from a pro to a coach. My new coach is toally different in approach, and whilst my old pro was good I always seemed to fall back into the same faults and issues.
If you want to travel to deepest Kent, I can give you his details.
Each session I have had he focuses on one thing only, and it is working:)