The SNIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Do you have data to back that up?
I know St.Andrews is popular with students from England and overseas but I'd like to know the figures.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
BTW, Scot Gov does not have a tight budget. If they did they would not give free bus travel to working people who are 60 or over or free prescriptions for everybody.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do you have data to back that up?
I know St.Andrews is popular with students from England and overseas but I'd like to know the figures.
BTW, Scot Gov does not have a tight budget. If they did they would not give free bus travel to working people who are 60 or over or free prescriptions for everybody.
I don't have the figures to hand but I have looked at it as I live in Scotland with one child at Uni and one child just having finished. There are often places in clearing for overseas (non Eu ) and English students but not for Scottish students or EU students as they need them to bring in the money.
They are short of funds.
I am not a huge fan of the SNP and have not voted for them but the budget is limited. I don't agree with everything they spend it on but as regards education I disagree with giving funds to Scottish students who by and large are middle class and have higher earning families and will earn more themselves rather than spending it on schools where our standards need to improve.
But it is a myth that the university fees is Anti English.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This article https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/13090853.legal-challenge-over-fees-for-english-students-fails/ makes it clear that it is the Scot Gov that chose to allow the charging of students from the rest of the UK.
The point is not that they cannot subsidise English,Welsh and NI or even students form overseas, I can remember when they all were. But that they HAVE to subsidise students from rest of EU if they are subsidsing home students.

The only people they want to subsidise are Scottish ones but by doing so they have to subsidise EU non UK ones.
It certainly isn't Anti English they went to lengths to plug the Irish loophole whereby NI students used anIrish passport to reduce their fees.
They are clearly cash limited as they have fewer places for Scottish students on courses and places open for English ones as they can only afford to subsidise so many places.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I agree, free education for all, paid by the taxpayer is certainly popular.:ROFLMAO:

Yeah free stuff like education, NHS, Policing, Prison Service - all the basic stuff that allows society to function and *some* people to flourish and earn enough money to pay taxes . Or not if they are rich and selfish enough. What a crap idea that is. *sigh*

We need a society that allows more people to flourish and contribute, 'not an i'm alright Jack' one that we have developed.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see a poll has come out with 50% support for Welsh independence.
I always thought that Wales lagged a long way behind Scotland in that race.
What has happened to cause this surge ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Welsh voted for Brexit, they may have taken the hump that we haven't left yet.

I can certainly see Scotland leaving the UK in my time, I don't see Wales going. The Welsh are not daft, they know they are not economically strong enough to go it alone.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just a free tip to all our Nationalist friends in Scotland. If you want to guarantee independence let the English have a vote in your next Indyref. 👍

Graspers oot.

Will the EU insist on a hard border, or does that only apply to NI?

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just a free tip to all our Nationalist friends in Scotland. If you want to guarantee independence let the English have a vote in your next Indyref. 👍

Graspers oot.

Will the EU insist on a hard border, or does that only apply to NI?

Well the Swiss and the EU have been in discussions for a long time so I wouldn't hold my breath that much will change so we've got time to repair the gaps in Hadrian's and send the SNP the bill.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I see a poll has come out with 50% support for Welsh independence.
I always thought that Wales lagged a long way behind Scotland in that race.
What has happened to cause this surge ?

It seems the whole landscape has changed since the referendum. As someone that genuinely thought that we are better together the last time Scotland had a referendum my opinion has changed completely. I'm not surprised in the slightest that those in Wales that are not completely consumed by Brexit are thinking what the hell is going on and have a growing confidence that they are better managing affairs themselves.

Brexit has enabled some pretty horrible traits and views to be normalised in England more than our neighbours IMHO. If I was Scottish or Welsh, I'd want nothing to do with it and be promoting independence options.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Welsh voted for Brexit, they may have taken the hump that we haven't left yet.

I can certainly see Scotland leaving the UK in my time, I don't see Wales going. The Welsh are not daft, they know they are not economically strong enough to go it alone.

Wales gets a net benefit of £245m from the EU yet voted to leave. That's pretty daft in my book.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well the Swiss and the EU have been in discussions for a long time so I wouldn't hold my breath that much will change so we've got time to repair the gaps in Hadrian's and send the SNP the bill.
Would that be the wall built by English slaves to protect their Italian conquerors from the free Scots.
Asking for a friend ;)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It seems the whole landscape has changed since the referendum. As someone that genuinely thought that we are better together the last time Scotland had a referendum my opinion has changed completely. I'm not surprised in the slightest that those in Wales that are not completely consumed by Brexit are thinking what the hell is going on and have a growing confidence that they are better managing affairs themselves.

Brexit has enabled some pretty horrible traits and views to be normalised in England more than our neighbours IMHO. If I was Scottish or Welsh, I'd want nothing to do with it and be promoting independence options.

I'm not sure all this arguing is about Brexit anymore ............................... it's about Non-Brexit.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Would that be the wall built by English slaves to protect their Italian conquerors from the free Scots.
Asking for a friend ;)
Your (and your friends) British History is appalling. The English were not living in the UK when Hadrians wall was built, you may dislike the English but please get the timeline right 🙄

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wales gets a net benefit of £245m from the EU yet voted to leave. That's pretty daft in my book.
Do you honestly believe that money originates in the EU? The EU does not earn money it takes it off member states then gives some of it back. In our case they give back less than we pay in, so who gives Wales this £245 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.