The peasants are revolting

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my place some of the most prestigious board comps are the most historic and long running - and my club is 125yrs old this year. They were established by or in memory of renowned members who contributed hugely to the development of the club, and bar one they were set up as handicap competitions for all members - and so have never had divisions as the winners are simply the best score to handicap.

Through the many decades they have generally been won at some point by the best golfers in the club during their time of membership even though they are handicap comps, and for us who consider membership of an old and traditional members club as something of worth, having our name on the same historic board or boards as some of our ’greats’ is considered an honour. And it is these comps especially that the lower handicappers have concerns about their now being effectively shut out from. It was always difficult for a low guy to win one of these comps, but the best players usually managed to get their name on the board. Maybe not so easy under WHS, anyway we will see.

Yes of course there are the scratch comps that most handicappers have no way of winning, but that rather missing the point of the concern.

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Tomorrow's comp will be interesting. A board comp for 10-18 playing handicappers only. The rest play in a (not board comp) stableford with pro shop credit prizes. We all mix in with tee times and I will be playing with two chaps who are in the 10-18. It is the non board comp that will be the interesting one, with regards to this thread, with up to 9s and 19s and over. I suspect that the 36 points and over results will be more loaded in proportion by the lower guys. Some might say that it is because they are generally more consistent. If so, was it ever thus? But is the winner more likely to be one of the higher chaps? I have to say, I don't know. Anyone could win, I believe, if they have a good day. If I am beaten into second place by a bloke off 23 who chips in for four points on the 18th, I will not whinge. That's golf.
I'm looking forward to the fresh air and exercise and the chance to lower my handicap by beating that 8th best score. (oh, and the twos sweep, but let's not go there, hush!)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think its down to how much pain in the lower spine, amount of discomfort and lack of sleep night before, general aches, pains and stiffness and stuff like that. Just glad I can still get out there. The exercise does me good. Now those poor scores do not affect my handicap like they did before so I do not need to worry about my inconsistency. I just go out to beat my 8th best.
That's still a very impressive handicap for some who 'gave up Commandos about 1974'. Indeed, you are likely an 'exception' to the 'Cat 1s are very consistent' rule because of the above. The oldest low-capper I've actually known was a Senior at my club off 7, having retired from being CEO of a software company that was bought by IBM. He actually spent more work time on the golf course than in the office anyway. His brother was also a handy golfer too, but I don't believe they were the best of friends.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
While I try to play the best i can and if I'm playing in a competition of course I'd be pleased if I won that's not what matters at all, amateur golf is a trivial pastime, as a matter of fact all amateur sport below elite level is just a pastime - a hobby. It doesn't matter.

Mandofred

Visit site
While I try to play the best i can and if I'm playing in a competition of course I'd be pleased if I won that's not what matters at all, amateur golf is a trivial pastime, as a matter of fact all amateur sport below elite level is just a pastime - a hobby. It doesn't matter.
I'd totally agree with this if I didn't have to pay £6 (or whatever they charge)....for the privilege of just playing another round of golf. Why do they have to charge anything? Why can't you just play golf? Without any money involved?

The Dog.

Visit site
Indeed, you are likely an 'exception' to the 'Cat 1s are very consistent' rule because of the above. .

I have been a Cat 1 player for 35 years and am currently off 3 and I would respectfully disagree with that being a rule of thumb. All golfers can have good and bad days. But if you’re off a low figure it can seem like you’re consistent because to many 79 gross still sounds alright but to me it’s a pretty poor round of golf. It’s the same as a 10 handicapper dropping 30 shots in percentage terms.

Loads of cat 1 players fluctuate wildly in terms of scoring. In my last 20, the scores range from 67 to 83!

Where I would agree though is that + players are very consistent. There’s about ten of them at our club and none of them ever have a complete mare.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
"we'll have achieved the aim of WHS in making our golf more like that of America"

surely the aim was to create a handicap system that should enable golfers anywhere in the world to compete on a level basis?
I thought that was the purpose, but not so, as I have been informed by those who have given it a lot more study than I have.
I think the main concept of average of best 8 of last 20 appears to be universal, but Handicap Index, Course Handicaps and Playing Handicaps, and how they are calculated, varies around the world. I would be very wary of someone coming to my club from Australia, quoting their GA Index as equivalent to my EG Index and playing in an open, and that could be my dear brother.

peld

Visit site
Anyone who is interested in winnig board comps all the time is a douchebag.

You want to play as well as possible and have a bit of a giggle is all.
im not fussed about winning a trophy or getting a name on the Board, but what i would like is when i shoot a really good round (e.g. 40 pts for a 13hcp), ive got a chance of winning. On our short course, 40 points rarely makes top3, and have never been a winning score from about 10 comps in 2021 (42 lowest winner)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I'd totally agree with this if I didn't have to pay £6 (or whatever they charge)....for the privilege of just playing another round of golf. Why do they have to charge anything? Why can't you just play golf? Without any money involved?
We don't have to pay to play competitions - and didn't at my previous clubs - we do have a couple of quid sweep and twos but they are optional. Can't see why anyone would insist on charging members.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
im not fussed about winning a trophy or getting a name on the Board, but what i would like is when i shoot a really good round (e.g. 40 pts for a 13hcp), ive got a chance of winning. On our short course, 40 points rarely makes top3, and have never been a winning score from about 10 comps in 2021 (42 lowest winner)
40 points winning a come is very rare. You’re 2 or 3 points short

Mandofred

Visit site
We don't have to pay to play competitions - and didn't at my previous clubs - we do have a couple of quid sweep and twos but they are optional. Can't see why anyone would insist on charging members.
It's the betting society here in the UK.....you HAVE to play for money. Why? I've never got it....but I have to bet to play golf in most cases here.....

Voyager EMH

Visit site
I think the £4 entry fee (optional £1 extra for twos sweep) for competitions at my club has something to do with the prizes given for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and lowest gross.
I don't think that "No entry fee, no prizes" would get much support at an AGM.
And to get back to the OP, such a small number of players capable of winning the lowest gross prize, gives those players ZERO to complain about.
That could be why I am not aware of "low-handicap whinging" at my club.

dronfield

Visit site

I have experienced the exact opposite. Over the past 25 years i have been a member of 4 clubs, and each one charged a comp entry fee (circa £2.50 - more for board comps) plus a further amount should you wish to enter 2s or sweep. A lot dont enter the 2s cos they feel they are just helping fund payouts for better players.
If your club has a lot of comps, summer Saturday golf can become expensive as many clubs wont let you play that day if you havent entered the comp - some clubs do allow social golf on comp days.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
I have experienced the exact opposite. Over the past 25 years i have been a member of 4 clubs, and each one charged a comp entry fee (circa £2.50 - more for board comps) plus a further amount should you wish to enter 2s or sweep. A lot dont enter the 2s cos they feel they are just helping fund payouts for better players.
If your club has a lot of comps, summer Saturday golf can become expensive as many clubs wont let you play that day if you havent entered the comp - some clubs do allow social golf on comp days.
Paying to play your own course every week - madness

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Oh no, you've gone and done it now, the secret's out. My pro shop credit income stream will never be the same again.
Seriously, one year I calculated my twos sweep profit and asked the club pro to transfer half of it to the junior section competitions prizes fund.
I think everyone knows what the twos sweep is all about, that's why it is optional. I have to alleviate my guilt from time to time.
I'm doing quite well this year so far. 8 twos in 13 comps. I might offer a prize on Club Champ day to whoever makes the highest (not NR) score.