The Kardashian Effect

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

I have 2 daughters aged 15 and 12.

They wouldnt be seen dead near a golf course, with a golf club or even talk about golf.

Then out of the blue my 12 year old says
"when are you going to the golf club again"
"Saturday Evening"
"Can I come with you and have a go"

I was absolutely confused ,dumbstruck and delighted all at the same time.

And all because Kim Kardashian posted an instagram post of her playing golf.
Its easy to criticise and take the mick out of her golf post but we really shouldnt under estimate the power of 215 million followers and the influence.

Kim Kardashian shares videos of her hitting a few golf balls to her Instagram Story | Daily Mail Online

Anything that shines a light on golf is GOOD for the game !!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whoa, no socks.The scruffy sod. 215 million viewers ain’t getting her into my course without socks.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Is this a great thing or actually quite sad? Wont go and try her dads hobby (and no doubt hes tried several times) but because some no mark american social media "celeb" posts a video that suddenly it becomes "cool" and she wants to give it a go. Sad reflection of current society and the impact of so called "influencers" or just a sign of the times?

Hope Im wrong and you and your daughter have a great time, the first of many, maybe im just too cynical (wouldnt be the first time)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

They wouldnt be seen dead near a golf course, with a golf club or even talk about golf.

"Saturday Evening"

Its easy to criticise and take the mick out of her golf post but we really shouldnt under estimate the power of 215 million followers and the influence.

Kim Kardashian shares videos of her hitting a few golf balls to her Instagram Story | Daily Mail Online

Hope she enjoy having a hit - anything that encourages girls to try a sport is good news.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Is this a great thing or actually quite sad? Wont go and try her dads hobby (and no doubt hes tried several times) but because some no mark american social media "celeb" posts a video that suddenly it becomes "cool" and she wants to give it a go. Sad reflection of current society and the impact of so called "influencers" or just a sign of the times?

Hope Im wrong and you and your daughter have a great time, the first of many, maybe im just too cynical (wouldnt be the first time)

Let's just hope Kardashian doesn't change her mind and decide that golf is crap, that'll undo all the hard work by the golf organisations trying to attract younger players! ;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Let's just hope Kardashian doesn't change her mind and decide that golf is crap, that'll undo all the hard work by the golf organisations trying to attract younger players! ;)

really dont care what she does tbh, if people want to play golf play golf, if they dont want to play golf dont, but choose for yourself what you enjoy and what you want to spend your time doing

D

Deleted member 16999

"Saturday Evening"

Fantastic, just imagine if 1% of that 215 million took up the game 2.1 million people giving it a try and it’s cost the game nothing.

Never understood these “social influencers” but it just shows the impact they can have.

Diamond

Visit site
Fantastic, just imagine if 1% of that 215 million took up the game 2.1 million people giving it a try and it’s cost the game nothing.

Never understood these “social influencers” but it just shows the impact they can have.
It doesn’t have to be Kim Kardashian either. It’s anyone in social media with a large following.

D

Deleted member 16999

It doesn’t have to be Kim Kardashian either. It’s anyone in social media with a large following.
Agreed, although I’ve no idea why she got involved, if it’s someone who crosses all boundaries, ages, cultures etc the better.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

Newsflash: Most 12 year olds are getting to the stage where they don't really want to hang out with their parents ;)

The Kardashians are a weird bunch, but there is no disputing their influence.

D

Deleted member 29109

My 12 yo daughter has been coming to walk round with me when I play 9 on an evening for a while now.

She's just not interested in playing. I keep trying but shes just not bothered. But she does enjoy walking round, spotting wildlife and laughing at my bad shots.

I think she would be good at golf, as she is very strong and very flexible, plus is tall with long limbs.

I don't care who or how girls are encouraged to try new sports, or whether grumpy old men think its sad that its come from an 'influencer'. The more young girls that get into any kind of sports the better.

What it should do is make golf take a long hard look at the image it projects to the world.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

No doubt the tape was a catalyst, and some wealth in the family, but I think you have to accept that she's not a no mark if she can get that sort of presence and monetise her brand to the point she's estimated at $1bn.

My kids are too young to care, but any help i can get to get them on the course will be gratefully received. Will love it if they show enough interest to play the odd round with me.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
really dont care what she does tbh, if people want to play golf play golf, if they dont want to play golf dont, but choose for yourself what you enjoy and what you want to spend your time doing

100%.

It's the same when somebody "English" does well at a sport

Used to love watching F1 with my uncle as a kid .. suddenly Lewis on the scene .. wins and F1 has so many plastic fans

D

Deleted member 16999

100%.

It's the same when somebody "English" does well at a sport

Used to love watching F1 with my uncle as a kid .. suddenly Lewis on the scene .. wins and F1 has so many plastic fans
Of course it’s the same,:rolleyes: I remember all them Dads being asked to take their son’s to McClaren for a car and the streets being taken over.

Why do we have to categorise people or label them?

Golf gets a boost and also breaks down the barriers of being inclusive or snobbish.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course it’s the same,:rolleyes: I remember all them Dads being asked to take their son’s to McClaren for a car and the streets being taken over.

Why do we have to categorise people or label them?

Golf gets a boost and also breaks down the barriers of being inclusive or snobbish.

Wasn't it the same week as the duchess of Cambridge went and tried golf aswell? Somebody who would be an actual role Model and does a lot of good work rather than that family who have created a lot more harm than good

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

No doubt the tape was a catalyst, and some wealth in the family, but I think you have to accept that she's not a no mark if she can get that sort of presence and monetise her brand to the point she's estimated at $1bn.

My kids are too young to care, but any help i can get to get them on the course will be gratefully received. Will love it if they show enough interest to play the odd round with me.

That's precisely what she is; stealing a living off the back of the modern social media fads of being famous for being famous. It amazes & depresses me in equal measure that modern society is so in love with this guff. The fact that her brand is valued so highly doesn't make her anything special as far as I'm concerned.

The Kardashians were best described by Mark Labett I believe, otherwise known as The Beast on The Chase; "There is no beginning to their talents."