Simple tricks of the trade

D

Deleted member 15344

The three S’s , then Costa on the way home , bit of banter by the putting green with sometimes a few practise putts and all onto the first tee - more banter , couple of stretches then a few swings and away you go - in winter add in the heat pack on the back and hand warmers in the pocket

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anybody gone through the process of getting a course guide for their home course and trying to mark up where no go areas are/bad misses, lay up positions etc or do you feel you know the course well enough that you play it on auto and wouldn't look at it. I'm playing a new course for me now, only 5 rounds and as I don't play that often I'm wondering if that would be an interesting exercise.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anybody gone through the process of getting a course guide for their home course and trying to mark up where no go areas are/bad misses, lay up positions etc or do you feel you know the course well enough that you play it on auto and wouldn't look at it. I'm playing a new course for me now, only 5 rounds and as I don't play that often I'm wondering if that would be an interesting exercise.
Complete opposite for me.

I consider the bad miss on every shot I make, on every course. It's a fundamental part of my (8 second) pre-shot routine, and includes chips and putts!

And yes, I then reverse it to a positive aiming point before making the stroke!

Wolf

Visit site
Used to do something similar to this when I played junior competitions, I wouldn't mark out no go areas as found that to negative, but I'd often mark areas I wanted to hit the ball to used to play very strategically to maximise my chance of scoring so that if I hit the right shot I'd be in prime position but if I didn't my misses would be minimal. Something I'll likely go back to doing once I get going again. Always worked well for me

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Used to do something similar to this when I played junior competitions, I wouldn't mark out no go areas as found that to negative, but I'd often mark areas I wanted to hit the ball to used to play very strategically to maximise my chance of scoring so that if I hit the right shot I'd be in prime position but if I didn't my misses would be minimal. Something I'll likely go back to doing once I get going again. Always worked well for me
My problem with this is that targets change with pin positions. Dramatically in some cases; degrees of risk reward in more normal situations.

Overlay a match play scenario and the whole thing becomes so dynamic.

It's vital to have a shot target, such shot targets should take into account both positive and negative influences - but they can't constructively be pre set before you get to the course. Any attempt to do so also increases the risk that you won't then evaluate all your shots appropriately when making them.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Protein drink, 1 litre of water with a vitamin tab. Minimum two coffees before round. 30 balls at the range and short game area. Bacon cob. Have peanut bars in bag.

D

Deleted member 15344

Protein drink, 1 litre of water with a vitamin tab. Minimum two coffees before round. 30 balls at the range and short game area. Bacon cob. Have peanut bars in bag.
What HC have you managed to get down to this year ?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My problem with this is that targets change with pin positions. Dramatically in some cases; degrees of risk reward in more normal situations.

Overlay a match play scenario and the whole thing becomes so dynamic.

It's vital to have a shot target, such shot targets should take into account both positive and negative influences - but they can't constructively be pre set before you get to the course. Any attempt to do so also increases the risk that you won't then evaluate all your shots appropriately when making them.

Yeah, I can definitely see that perspective and it will be even more fluid depending on wind direction etc. I'm thinking it may be a good exercise for me as way to improve my course management to begin with as I'm a fairly aggressive/foolish player in how I take on shots so I think a period of deliberate thinking, planned in advance may push me to be more conservative and help cut out the double/triple. Example being holes I know should be iron off the tee, easy wedge but when I step up I just want to have a go trying to hit a 250yd drive over bunkers with water and trees round the green!