Simple tricks of the trade

Wolf

Visit site
My problem with this is that targets change with pin positions. Dramatically in some cases; degrees of risk reward in more normal situations.

Overlay a match play scenario and the whole thing becomes so dynamic.

It's vital to have a shot target, such shot targets should take into account both positive and negative influences - but they can't constructively be pre set before you get to the course. Any attempt to do so also increases the risk that you won't then evaluate all your shots appropriately when making them.
That's your opinion, I've personally always played better with that plan in place, I do allow flexibility for pin positions being moved change in weather but for me always played better with a plan whether I set that beforethe round in on the teeand effectively play the hole backwards in my mind then mark that in my chart. It's what works best for me and what works best for you is clearly different but then we're different people, play differently and have different opinions. Which is why we're on here giving our thoughts

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
What HC have you managed to get down to this year ?

Down?! The list is just to maintain a 10 hcp for my malnourished, malnutritioned body not built for sport.
I’ll need beta blockers for anything more. We’ll see at annual review as I’ve buffered or bettered more than 50%

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
A very simple trick I picked up from our Head Pro, which was only obvious to me when he demonstrated it. On a well known Lincolnshire seaside course, there are 2 holes where the approach shot is completely blind over a steep hill. In my ignorance I said to him "laser's not much use to you here". So he left his bag, walked up to the top of the hill, lasered to the flag, turned round and lasered to his bag, and added the two numbers together

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Anybody gone through the process of getting a course guide for their home course and trying to mark up where no go areas are/bad misses, lay up positions etc or do you feel you know the course well enough that you play it on auto and wouldn't look at it. I'm playing a new course for me now, only 5 rounds and as I don't play that often I'm wondering if that would be an interesting exercise.
Yes I did do that when the course first opened. No-one really knew where to miss or the breaks of the greens so I did mark the new course planners we had done. These days though I rely on my Garmin G8 and a laser and my knowledge of the greens.

As for the OP, I get to the club early and always do some stretching in the locker room or on the practice ground to get loose and then try and hit at least 20 balls minimum to warm up, ideally more and do a bit of chipping and putting.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are asked to move your ball marker on the green, place it upside to remind you to replace it before you putt.
I made my own from a foreign coin and the daughters nail varnish. Green one side and pink on the other. Did this as I once forgot to move the marker back and hit the ball from the wrong spot.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's your opinion, I've personally always played better with that plan in place, I do allow flexibility for pin positions being moved change in weather but for me always played better with a plan whether I set that beforethe round in on the teeand effectively play the hole backwards in my mind then mark that in my chart. It's what works best for me and what works best for you is clearly different but then we're different people, play differently and have different opinions. Which is why we're on here giving our thoughts
We can't be that different; I'm just explaining why I feel that playing it backwards when playing the hole has significant merit over any before the round planning.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When asked for your score on a hole, always say one less and see if you can get away with it.

Oh sorry, I thought it was the advice one of the members in my former club used to always swear by.

Visit site
A very simple trick I picked up from our Head Pro, which was only obvious to me when he demonstrated it. On a well known Lincolnshire seaside course, there are 2 holes where the approach shot is completely blind over a steep hill. In my ignorance I said to him "laser's not much use to you here". So he left his bag, walked up to the top of the hill, lasered to the flag, turned round and lasered to his bag, and added the two numbers together

Brilliant :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: