Teenagers and the virus

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My 17yo daughter last night asked if it was OK to go see her boyfriend.

My first reaction was to say no, however she then pointed out
- she had been at work all day in close proximity to the public, handling cash (she has a Saturday job in a sandwich shop)
- I would be coming into contact with public at the supermarket tomorrow
- her mum would be in close contact with loads of small kids at school every day next week
- I would be playing golf as usual on Monday

I gave in, but insisted she got a lift there and back rather than using public transport. Have to say it didn't feel right, but it did seem a bit hypocritical to keep her in given the points she made.

This is going to be a recurring scenario over the next 12 weeks and probably longer. Part of me is thinking the sooner we have a total lock down, the better.

Anyone in the same situation and how are you handling it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My 17yo daughter last night asked if it was OK to go see her boyfriend.

My first reaction was to say no, however she then pointed out
- she had been at work all day in close proximity to the public, handling cash (she has a Saturday job in a sandwich shop)
- I would be coming into contact with public at the supermarket tomorrow
- her mum would be in close contact with loads of small kids at school every day next week
- I would be playing golf as usual on Monday

I gave in, but insisted she got a lift there and back rather than using public transport. Have to say it didn't feel right, but it did seem a bit hypocritical to keep her in given the points she made.

This is going to be a recurring scenario over the next 12 weeks and probably longer. Part of me is thinking the sooner we have a total lock down, the better.

Anyone in the same situation and how are you handling it?

We arent in lockdown (yet) are any of you at risk and told to avoid social situations? because really shes not doing much wrong

if she was going to a party then yeah that would be no chance

we are at risk here and we have to cut down on visitors to the house. no more than 2 at a time

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
She’s basically an adult, but in my opinion if she was living under my roof, it would be a no.
We have to minimise contact as much as possible regardless of circumstances.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We arent in lockdown (yet) are any of you at risk and told to avoid social situations? because really shes not doing much wrong

if she was going to a party then yeah that would be no chance

we are at risk here and we have to cut down on visitors to the house. no more than 2 at a time

No, none of us are in the 'at risk' category.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
until a lock down happens id say people are fine to meet up in small groups

not many places to meet up mind

Was walking the dog in the local park yesterday and there were loads of teenage lads playing football and generally larking about. Am sure it will be the same at night but with alcohol chucked in.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
This is precisely how this virus is going to spread through our country. All it takes is one person to let it enter your family, so for me I’m not going out unless it’s to the shop and that’s when it’s quiet.

Plus side is I’m seeing a hell of a lot more of my 6 month old daughter, I hadn’t realised how much I was missing out on being at work all week.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
What part of social distancing is she practicing? She has the opportunity to limit her interactions, and isn't.

Supermarket run - essential. The alternative is to not have food in the house.
School - her mum has become an essential worker by looking after kids thus freeing up other essential workers to go and do their job.
Golf - she's got you on that one. If you're going to play, what right have you got to tell her not to? Admittedly you won't be cuddling up in the bunker on the 4th, especially if its GUR.

You're right, the lockdown will decide the issue for you. You're in the transition period we saw over here. Notification came out with what amounted to 48hrs notice. Some people partied whilst the bars were still open, and others went into lockdown straightaway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had the same discussion with my daughter, same age. No boyfriend but friends. I think many are still struggling to get their heads around the fact that things have changed, life is not going to be normal for a while. I think she has got in now but teenagers think they are indestructible and so are a bit blase about this.(yes I know they are spreading it to older and vulnerable people and I have had that discussion)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Might have to change my opinion, trying to research the latest advise as apparently as of last night my wife is 12 weeks self isolation now .... can she shop? visitors seem banned completely. am i suppose to be working? lad at work his wife is in 3rd trimester.. he was sent home for 12 weeks. we are in second .. but has that changed as of yest?

very confused

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Where there is an element of choice, dilemmas like this will always occur. The OP’s daughter will likely have interacted with lots of people at work and possibly on the commute. She is working in a household with a key worker and at least one other who is not fully practicing socially distancing. Golf is not an essential journey/activity. However, it’s not one interaction that needs to be considered, unless her boyfriend lives alone and is in total isolation of course. It is likely her visiting him includes interaction with his family. It’s then who they interact with and so on and so on. Especially with her interacting with customers all day. I feel lockdown is inevitable and possibly needed as we’re just not getting it.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As of yesterday we reluctantly had to tell our kids that they could not meet up with their friends and I’ve decided that I am not going down the golf course.

I’ll now only be leaving the house for essentials and will probably have to go to the office at least once this week (my last day in the job is Friday). My new employer, who I join at the start of April, already has everyone working from home.

Just had some clippers and scissors delivered by Amazon so I can try and cut my own hair.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where there is an element of choice, dilemmas like this will always occur. The OP’s daughter will likely have interacted with lots of people at work and possibly on the commute. She is working in a household with a key worker and at least one other who is not fully practicing socially distancing. Golf is not an essential journey/activity. However, it’s not one interaction that needs to be considered, unless her boyfriend lives alone and is in total isolation of course. It is likely her visiting him includes interaction with his family. It’s then who they interact with and so on and so on. Especially with her interacting with customers all day. I feel lockdown is inevitable and possibly needed as we’re just not getting it.

I agree I think we need it however I dont think its a case of getting it.. the advise is so grey its unreal...

trying to read the guidelines about what to actually do.. staying at home yes get that part however its the rest of it

should I be going to work whilst my wife is pregnent in her second trimester but also has asthma ...

but then again a lockdown wouldnt help me there as im still a key worker

dont get me wrong I WANT to be at work. id hate to be at home all time.. im doing whatever shift they need

but family first

Wolf

Visit site
My 2 teenagers are gutted, my boy goes to cadets and loves it especially as recently its been all about PT & Field craft but it's closed for the foreseeable until told otherwise. Fortunately for him with us living so rural & with my background I can still do all the PT & field craft stuff together and not affect others so when he goes back he will know all he needs to know.

My daughter though not so easy, means she can't play football or see her girlfriend so as you can imagine there's been a bit of upset. But I'm gonna try and get her out with me and the boy and we will be having many a Nintendo switch marathon.