The GM Forum Weightwatchers.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm up for this guys.

I'm an ex-martial artist, fighting weight was 14 - 15 stone. Currently 18 stone, height 5'11 ish.

Did a bit of running the other year, 3 half marathons and the London Marathon, but have totally lost my running mojo! Need to find it again.

Diet is the big problem for me, plus the good lady's cooking!

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Jings, boys.

On the basis of the saying that you become like your peers I'll be keeping posted with this thread. I LOST weight over Xmas! 5'9" and 10st 10lbs. Was nearly 11st 7lbs in August which is what I want.

You keep shedding the pounds....I'll pick some of them up for you! That'll be another 5 yards on the drives.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
don't think i have all that much to loose. I am only half a stone heavier than when i was a young lad training/playing footie 4 times a week.

It's just my shape that is different!!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Count me in as well. I am part of the 6'1 and 19 stone brigade. My wife is on a diet so as to lower her BMI enough to qualify for IVF treatment so I am going to join her in the hard slog.

Does Strongbow count as a portion of fruit?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alright troops. Here's my little bit of help for you, from my food and diet counter;- Calories per average portion

Pint draught lager; 166 cals
Pint premium lager; 340 cals
Pint dry Cider; 206 cals
Pint of bitter; 190 cals
Pint of Guinness; 172 cals
25 ml Spirit; 52 cals
125 ml glass dry white wine; 83 cals
160 ml (a big dash) of Coke; 66 cals (Diet Coke= 0)
160 ml Freshly squeezed orange juice; 53 cals

1 rasher of dry-fried back bacon; 295 cal

I think that concludes my golfer's diet.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I feel a bit guilty about this. I am 6ft 2, and 11 1/2 stone (73 kilos). I need to get back below 70 as I look like a stick insect who has swallowed a medicine ball. However, my problems pale into insignificance compared to some of you lot.

My plan is to cut back to the one beer a day (maybe the odd glass of rioja) and exercise a bit more. Also, cut out some of the crap, like crisps and chocolate.

Need to hit 69kilos for March when I go on hols. No fat bloke by the pool for me.

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Alright troops. Here's my little bit of help for you, from my food and diet counter;- Calories per average portion

Pint dry Cider; 206 cals
Pint of bitter; 190 cals
25 ml Spirit; 52 cals

I think that concludes my golfer's diet.

Quite surprised there's only 172 cals in a pint of guinness! Thought it would be about the 400 mark!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pint dry Cider; 206 cals
Pint of bitter; 190 cals
25 ml Spirit; 52 cals

Oh my God!!!!!

I will replace my stella and golfers breakfast with vodka and diet coke.

that means i can stay drinking in the bar most of the day for the same calorific intake :D :D

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
It's the consistency that makes me think it's "nutrient dense"!

I might revert back to drinking Guinness on the back of your revelation John, Cheers!

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
im 6ft 2ins and 15 stones when i was fit and playing footy regularly i was 12 stone so a little bit of work to be done junk food is my biggest enemy.ian mc

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A bit of extra bulk always served me well when I was playing rugby in the front row but since I stopped playing it has piled on a bit too much.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive cut out chocolate pretty much 100%, my biggest enemy is pizza, lots of meat and bbq sauce and im anyones!
Our work buys in all our food for the week and fridays is Pizzahut and chippy day each week GAHHHHHHHHH!
Pizza dough seems to sit in me for 3-4 days and leaves me feeling stuffed for ages too. Heres a question, I dont really like brown bread so still eat pan white, is eating two slices per day seen as a bad thing?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brendy, here's a wee quote from my book;-

"Foods with high levels of fat tend to be low in fibre and are not filling, so we eat more of these than high-carbohydrate foods. This raises the calorie intake even further. Most of us should eat at least 25g less fat a day"

So no probs with the pizzas and bread. They'll fill you up so you'll eat less crap.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
This is taken from a health web site... make of it what you will.

"In the process of making flour white, half of the good unsaturated fatty acids, that are high in food value, are lost in the milling process alone, and virtually all the vitamin E is lost with the removal of wheat germ and bran. As a result, the remaining flour in the white bread you buy, contains only poor quality proteins and fattening starch.

But that is not the whole story as to the loss of nutrients. About 50% of all calcium, 70% of phosphorus, 80% iron, 98% magnesium, 75% manganese, 50% potassium, and 65% of copper is destroyed. If that is not bad enough, about 80% thiamin, 60% of riboflavin, 75% of niacin, 50% of pantothenic acid, and about 50% of Pyridoxine is also lost."

Don't you just hate it when you lose 50% of your Pyridoxine? :mad:

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Guys, i'm a little bit of a health nut and i would just point out that its body fat percentage you should monitor not weight. I'm 5'8" and 11 stone which borders on overweight (BMI) but i'm only 13.49% bodyfat which is in the althete category.

For blokes the best way to reduce body fat is to focus on resistance training which builds muscle which in turn burns body fat. Add a more healthy diet and eating smaller meals 5-6 times a day and you will really stoke up your metabolism.

But as golfers we do not want to bulk up too much. i'm currently following Ernie Els' Guide to Golf Fitness (book off amazon for about £7) and would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their fitness in a way that enhances their golf.