The GM Forum Weightwatchers.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed, Murph. What next? The Craig Stadler Guide to Golf Fitness - (foreward by Colin Montgomerie)?

Sorry, mickytwodesks, Ernie and slimming? No. Woods/Faldo/ Langer yes!

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I won't bore you with all the details ( I would have expected htl to supply the yawn factor here!) but it's not weight you guys need to be obsessing about, it's measurements.

Muscle is denser than fat so you can start to lose weight by burning fat, but then you start to build muscle and this makes it look as if you are no longer losing weight, yet your measurements i.e. waistline continue to tighten up. Mickeytwodesks is right about body-fat, but that's probably a bit too obsessive for most golfers, so just aim to reduce your waistline measurement and buff up some of those other muscles instead. So, take your measurements and use that as your guide, not the scales - they really don't prove that much.

Easiest equation you'll ever see:

Eating less food + more exercise = weight/measurement loss.

Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Lord and dine like a pauper. Guaranteed improvements!

Good luck all!

DCB

Visit site
aaswift,

Nothing to worry about here, if we work out the total weight of all the posters and divide that by the number of posters, we get an average, only slightly overweight, forum member.

The all we have to do is lose a few pounds!

Simple

ps the scales have just said "one at a time please" when I stood on them.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
I am about 5'11" and about 16.5st but a reasonable build not a skinny.(muscle is heavier than fat, that's my excuse)

I am not to bothered about my weight as such, cause if you are strong you can weigh a lot but have a low body fat ratio.

So i will try to loose inches rather than weight, Although the weight will drop anyway.

I put my weight explosion down to working the last 4 years on constant night shift and i eat at weired hours and if i am up early i will eat basically 2 dinners a day and the body clock being knocked about a bit (think changing your time scale by 12hrs a week twice)exercise tends to be the last thing i want to do.

Apart from more golf i will start to walk the dog rather than take him to the park and throw the ball.

Good luck to us all.

mickytwodesks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry guys just trying to give you some helpful pointers. The book is actually very good and written in conjunction with David Herman a personal trainer. Its golf specific so isn't designed to bulk you up just improve your fitness in a golf friendly way. I suppose if Tiger Woods had been paid to put his name on the front cover the book would have suddenly improved ten fold.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Crumbs, I eat 2 slices of toast in the morning when I arrive at the office, maybe a sandwich or something for lunch and either a wholesome breaded chicken and wedges or cornflakes or sausages and mash for dinner. I think Im doing it the wrong way round, saying that Ive started eating a club sandwich instead of sausages egg and chips!

time_vans

Head Pro
Visit site
i'm in.... got three pairs of jeans (sorry..golf trousers) that shrunk badly in the wash last year! after having heart by pass surgery i did the gym thing and healthy life style for a year lost over 2 stone and was well fit then the wife said i looked skinny (5ft 8" and 11st 10lb) and proceeded to fatten me up ...successfully. good job i can only drive 200yd ish the walk would kill me if i hit it further.think i might be nearly 13st 7lb again.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Breakfast like a King, lunch like a Lord and dine like a pauper.

Problem is I don't have the staff to prepare a gargantuan breakfast, I make do on muesli and yoghurt.
My problem, if I'm bored I eat; bread though not chocolate.

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
My other problem is that I am at the auction tomorrow as I am quite regularly. When at the auction it is against the law to not have a greasy fry-up. It has to be done alomg with drinking 10 cups of lousy tea.

I am on a big night out at the weekend and a pub session friday so after that is when the concerted effort to become the medwayjon formerly known as big bad jon will begin.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few years ago when I had time to burn (pre OJ) I used Bill Philips 'The Body For Life' and it was the dogs danglies. I trained 3 times a week and lost 2.5 stone in 8 weeks but my problem now is I cant be 4rsed. I know I should and the wife tells me I should but I don't have the energy at nights whoch I know is due to my diet but I just need a wee shot at someones LIPO machine.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yawn factor! Cheeky git! lol

All you need to do guys is cut out carbohydrates after 18:00, due to the fact any unused will be stored as fat.

Eat 6 small meals throughout the day; drink 1.5-2 liters of water

Swap any foods high in carbs i.e Rice, bread, pasta for wholegrain

An example diet of full time athlete =

Breakfast – Porridge with honey and fruit
Poached, scrambled, boiled eggs and toast
Weetabix with Honey +Fruit
A wholegrain cereal such as shredded wheat

Snack – Nutri grain bar and apple

Lunch - Beans on toast
Roast chicken + salad sarnie

Snack – Fruit
Bag of reduced fat pretzels

Dinner – Salmon + Veg
Any white meat + Veg

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
An example diet of a Scottish Golfer who works full time.

Breakfast: 2 bags of Doritos and a wee Kit Kat ..oh, and a can of diet Pepsi

Mid Morning snack: Roll and bacon with a smidgen of HP sauce.

Lunch: Deep fried Haggis and Chips with a buttered roll (bap, cob .. whatever) and a can of diet Irn Bru.

Dinner: Chicken Tikka Chasni with boiled rice (healthy option) with half a nan bread and more diet Pepsi.

Supper: Morgans spiced and DIET coke x3