The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dislike utd with a passion, hope all sorts of evils happen to them as a club, but when something is that tight it is onside. I don't see any part of Cavani that can score being offside so carry on. Geez that hurt ?

LT, perhaps you should adopt Luke Donald's rule of 10 seconds - forget it and move on! ?

4LEX

Visit site
The offside in the Utd game is another VAR mistake, the head of Cavani is offside. But it's so close to call these things should always go to the attacker. Just a reminder of how VAR and these lines are ruining games week in, week out.

Swango1980

Visit site
The offside in the Utd game is another VAR mistake, the head of Cavani is offside. But it's so close to call these things should always go to the attacker. Just a reminder of how VAR and these lines are ruining games week in, week out.
He was about 8 inches onside, look how far apart both lines are. There is no doubt, unless you fail to take into account the angle at which the camera is looking at things

4LEX

Visit site
He was about 8 inches onside, look how far apart both lines are. There is no doubt, unless you fail to take into account the angle at which the camera is looking at things

My point was that the lines are clearly wrong. Offsides should only be overruled if theres daylight between the players, none of this nonsense about angles, lines or thickness of said lines. It was a goal, end of.

That was a huge swing in points for Utd, could be the difference in finishing fourth or fifth. Harry Maguire back and a clean sheet :oops:

Swango1980

Visit site
My point was that the lines are clearly wrong. Offsides should only be overruled if theres daylight between the players, none of this nonsense about angles, lines or thickness of said lines. It was a goal, end of.

That was a huge swing in points for Utd, could be the difference in finishing fourth or fifth. Harry Maguire back and a clean sheet :oops:
If the lines are so wrong, with a margin of error greater than 8 inches, then VAR needs to be scrapped with immediate effect.

I can understand the argument when the lines are virtually touching, and there is a debate about what part of the body they've been drawn from, or the limited frames per second. However, I can't see the argument when the lines are about 8 inches apart, unless there is a monumental flaw with VAR.

From what I've read on Sky, there isn't any argument about it being offside, nor did Moyes seem to be outraged by the decision? If VAR has made such a big error, I'd expect it to have been a huge talking point (outside this thread).

I'll watch MOTD tomorrow, and see if they can highlight if it was a big mistake.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe this will help:

"How offsides are determined by VAR" https://www.premierleague.com/news/1488423
Yes the tech is really good.
But no matter how good it is a fan will always question a offside decision against them if the camera is not in line.:rolleyes:
It explains it very well.
So the lines they use are narrow but they put the coloured ones on just for the telly.
That explains a lot in a close call.
Thanks.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just watched MOTD and the Leeds/Newcastle game was a decent watch. That said, I can’t decide whether it was breathless end to end because of the quality on show, or the astonishing naivety of both sides.

It certainly made for an entertaining game.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just a thought

I get the "if you're offside you're offside" even if it's a toenail distance offside. Where VAR can determine the question of whether, at the point the ball is played, using the lines etc, a receiving player is offside I wonder how accurate the measurement of the person playing the ball is. Do they accurately get the point where the ball is still on the passers foot, head, knee etc, or a fraction after its lost connection with the passer and, if the latter, will a toenail finding a player offside be miss measured on the passer of the ball - how many goals ruled out were actually just missmeasured? I ask this simply because I see much less emphasis on the pass being strictly accurately measured than the attackers run.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still plenty of positives for this season.

We got to the league cup quarters
we are in the last 16 of the europa league which is outstanding for us..
still in the FA cup

id like to see us reach the semis of the FA cup, semis of the Europa and top 6 in the league.. i think thats real steady progress

we are still playing well.. we could have got an undeserved point against leeds in the last min, and more than matched united yesterday ... dawson and zouma kept one of the best players the world has seen out of the game for the most ..

zouma is back.. thats a massive massive positive

we need a striker ASAP

however Benrahma is back now... few weeks rest for the players ....

we return with a cup game against kidderminster ... hopefully can give rice a rest in that one and zouma unless he needs to get match sharp

then we have 4 games that are winnable (not saying for a moment we should win all of them at all but we have a good chance) watford at home, away to Leicester, home to Newcastle then home to wolves .. we could win 2 of them we could win all of them.. could also lose them all then beat liverpool in the game after .. this is the beauty of football

I trust moyes and his team to get the best out what we got

I would like to see a striker in ASAP.. after that a CB to be long term partner with zouma but that could wait until the summer.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These VAR decisions tonight are taking far too long surely - if it’s clear and obvious then it takes 1 maybe two looks
It was ridiculous, they'd still be looking at the penalty shout now if the ref hadn't blown the final whistle:rolleyes: Maybe its time to bring in some kind of time limit, like they have for referrals in cricket. If you can't sort it out in 15 seconds then its not obvious so play on.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Just a thought

I get the "if you're offside you're offside" even if it's a toenail distance offside. Where VAR can determine the question of whether, at the point the ball is played, using the lines etc, a receiving player is offside I wonder how accurate the measurement of the person playing the ball is. Do they accurately get the point where the ball is still on the passers foot, head, knee etc, or a fraction after its lost connection with the passer and, if the latter, will a toenail finding a player offside be miss measured on the passer of the ball - how many goals ruled out were actually just missmeasured? I ask this simply because I see much less emphasis on the pass being strictly accurately measured than the attackers run.

I believe the rules say that it is first contact but I've seen them given as offside when the ball has clearly left the foot. I think the issue is that the frame count is too slow to accurately guarantee getting the correct point every time.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe the rules say that it is first contact but I've seen them given as offside when the ball has clearly left the foot. I think the issue is that the frame count is too slow to accurately guarantee getting the correct point every time.

I'm not sure if the rule has changed but it was "when the ball is kicked" but I agree that the frame rate could mess things up. But if it is "when the ball is kicked" the line should be milliseconds after it touches the passer and clearly it not always is, on VAR. So if it's very tight then the benefit should go to the attackers

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not sure if the rule has changed but it was "when the ball is kicked" but I agree that the frame rate could mess things up. But if it is "when the ball is kicked" the line should be milliseconds after it touches the passer and clearly it not always is, on VAR. So if it's very tight then the benefit should go to the attackers

Plus there's the question of is the pass made when the ball first touches the player's foot? When the ball changes direction? Or when the ball leaves the player's foot? And with a firmly struck pass there will be some compression of the ball. With the frame rate of the images that bit of the process has to be "best guess" at best.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Plus there's the question of is the pass made when the ball first touches the player's foot? When the ball changes direction? Or when the ball leaves the player's foot? And with a firmly struck pass there will be some compression of the ball. With the frame rate of the images that bit of the process has to be "best guess" at best.

I've just checked the rule and it's "when the ball is first touched or played" so in my opinion I'd expect to see it on the players body somewhere and not off the body by any degree as is quite often the case with VAR