The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if thats true they really shouldnt be drawing lines on that image surely?

I always thought that they had some kind of fancy computer programme that rotated the view and could even give an aerial view of the action to draw the lines from. Although I might have imagined that or made it up.

Swango1980

Visit site
if thats true they really shouldnt be drawing lines on that image surely?
You can see where they set the green line, with the dotted vertical line. They'll set it at the player's position. You can see it is quite a way in front of Cavani, that is because it lines up with his shoulder as he leans forward.

However, if you follow the green line a little further to the right, Cavani looks a long way ahead of it. Clearly he is not, as we see where it is underneath him, but the camera angle make the green line further up appear as tho it is behind him.

So, you don't even need to consider the blue line when understanding the perspective of the camera angle.

The blue line will then be set at the defenders position. Both lines are parallel, with the blue line a good bit closer to the goal line

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yes, I accept that Hawkeye technology is very advanced, and the lines they ‘add’ to an image are correct and use valid reference points and pitches are mapped prior to the match to ensure integrity.

but why draw lines on an image they dont actually relate to fully?

if you say its a hawkeye modelled decision then fine, putting the lines "wrongly" on image just muddies the waters surely?

Swango1980

Visit site
For anyone that can't get their head around camera angles, just follow the blue line further up the picture behind the defender. It is through the middle of his shoulder. So, if you think Cavani is offside because his head is ahead of the blue line, then you will also have to suggest the defender is also ahead of the blue line.

D

Deleted member 15344

These VAR decisions tonight are taking far too long surely - if it’s clear and obvious then it takes 1 maybe two looks

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dislike utd with a passion, hope all sorts of evils happen to them as a club, but when something is that tight it is onside. I don't see any part of Cavani that can score being offside so carry on. Geez that hurt ?

So do many others which is why they find it so hard to accept a tight decision in Utd's favour, especially for a 93rd minute winner.

D

Deleted member 15344

So do many others which is why they find it so hard to accept a tight decision in Utd's favour, especially for a 93rd minute winner.

It was a very tight decision that I thought would be a good discussion as it looked all wrong

also it seems tonight City put out the most expensive team in Prem history. Seems the title still got some twists yet

The CB for Soton - Salisu ? Was very good