The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It whistled past his ear because he was already half way down onto his left knee as he anticipated it going across him. Hit ferociously without a doubt, giving minimal reaction time, but not helped by Pickford moving early. YouTube it, it’s obvious.
As Orikoru says, there has to be a degree of anticipation because he is too close for a realistic reaction to happen. He took a slight gamble and lost. It wasn't a major fault in my eyes.

Swango1980

Visit site
It whistled past his ear because he was already half way down onto his left knee as he anticipated it going across him. Hit ferociously without a doubt, giving minimal reaction time, but not helped by Pickford moving early. YouTube it, it’s obvious.
Just watched it. Sure, had he stayed on his feet and tall, probably would have saved it. But is it a huge error? Not so sure about that. Jota absolutely rifled it from close range. I doubt any keeper would assume they could react after ball has been hit, so he'd made decision it'll go across him, and he was wrong. It is also probably quite a narrow window for Jota to smash it into, which he did brilliantly. It doesn't escape me that both Salah's goals were scored by hitting the ball across him, so maybe he was even more determined to stop Jota repeating that? (Edit: just read Orikoru's post 19098, mind readers)

Some much more worrying errors in that game, such as Salah getting through for that 3rd goal.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I was a goalkeeper and this was drilled into me at various coaching levels ?
I’ve also heard various professional goalkeepers state they shouldn’t get beat at their near post
Same here. But, like many things it is now considered out of date thinking.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
As Orikoru says, there has to be a degree of anticipation because he is too close for a realistic reaction to happen. He took a slight gamble and lost. It wasn't a major fault in my eyes.

We’re splitting hairs and playing with semantics. How often do we hear a commentator say, “well played the keeper for staying tall.” And, “the keeper made it easy by going early.” The second one isn’t relevant as Jota had no other thought than putting his foot through it. Would it have been saved if Pickford hadn’t gone early? We’ll never know.

We could argue the toss till the cows come home. You believe one thing, quite rightly, and I another, quite rightly.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was that when Keeley from The Rovers played his one and only game and was sent off?

Yes, my very first derby - 5-0 at Goodison - what a start.

Even better, me and my dad were in with the blues in the lower Bullens, although many reds around, as was the norm at both derbies then - We'd have about 6-7k in the park end, and another 10k all around the ground.

Swango1980

Visit site
I’m not anti Pickford, but no goalkeeper should get beat at his near post. His body was leaning to his left anticipating the ball going in that direction, meaning he was off balance and unable to react properly.
Ryan Giggs so called wonder goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup didn’t reflect well on David Seamen. Seamen’s body shape was all wrong, he was falling backwards and was hunched down as the ball went in at the roof of the net.
Seamen should have stood tall.

Was Seaman's shape or position really that bad, as shown below? Yes, he was low, but only because he was preparing to spring into action. And, also got to bare in mind that Giggs was running from outside the box, so the keeper was trying to also narrow the angles, in case Giggs got the shot away earlier. He was 100% not off balance as Giggs struck the ball, and he 100% was not falling backwards when Giggs struck it. However, about 0.01 seconds later, the ball was flying into the roof of the nett, and Seaman only fell backwards as he attempted in vain to throw his hand in the air, and was pretty much only falling backwards as the ball passed him and went into the nett.

He could have just stood tall and might have saved the shot. But, had the shot flown across him, he'd have been criticised for not setting himself.

1638448318289.png

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was Seaman's shape or position really that bad, as shown below? Yes, he was low, but only because he was preparing to spring into action. And, also got to bare in mind that Giggs was running from outside the box, so the keeper was trying to also narrow the angles, in case Giggs got the shot away earlier. He was 100% not off balance as Giggs struck the ball, and he 100% was not falling backwards when Giggs struck it. However, about 0.01 seconds later, the ball was flying into the roof of the nett, and Seaman only fell backwards as he attempted in vain to throw his hand in the air, and was pretty much only falling backwards as the ball passed him and went into the nett.

He could have just stood tall and might have saved the shot. But, had the shot flown across him, he'd have been criticised for not setting himself.

View attachment 39761

Absolutely, yes. His weight is well back on his heels as he’s already falling back. He practically looks like he’s sitting on the toilet.
Narrowing the angle is fine, but he’s squatting far too low. He should be standing taller with his weight on the balls of his feet so he can spring into action.
Even before Giggs hits the ball, he’s already falling backwards. Note his spine angle.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We'll never know but lets not dismiss how good Jota is. What a goal that was. The backheel and turn was top drawer that very few footballers can do.

I think @Bazzatron thought Wolves done great business in getting £40m off liverpool for him.

His goal return to date, let alone his performances is proving we got the better deal.

100% proved me wrong, I was probably so bitter about someone daring to think they could do better than us I couldn't see it. Good luck to that lad, just not on Saturday.

Swango1980

Visit site
Absolutely, yes. His weight is well back on his heels as he’s already falling back. He practically looks like he’s sitting on the toilet.
Narrowing the angle is fine, but he’s squatting far too low. He should be standing taller with his weight on the balls of his feet so he can spring into action.
Even before Giggs hits the ball, he’s already falling backwards. Note his spine angle.
I'll respectively disagree

D

Deleted member 1740

100% proved me wrong, I was probably so bitter about someone daring to think they could do better than us I couldn't see it. Good luck to that lad, just not on Saturday.

?? We're all the same.

In fairness i dont think anyone expected Jota to improve as much has he has done.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

As an ex-keeper I disagree and think Swango has it right. I has always been something that was drilled into the keepers at every level I played but the harsh reality is it happens. Whether you put it down to keeper error or a good finish is the point of contention and the outfield players will inevitable blame the keeper where the fault may actually lie with their actions in the build up. Either way your side is a goal down