The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Theres more to goalkeeping than just making saves. His distribution for a international Keeper is shocking.

Couple of times last night he wellied the ball out of his hands up the pitch and it went straight through to Alison. Waste of possession. I've seen the above everytime i've watched them.

Pickford will stay as England Keeper until he makes a number of mistakes for them - Southgate is loyal to his players

One thing I noticed last night was how he looked like crazy legs crane whenever kicking the ball - just looked a hoof all the time with no thought of looking for a player etc.

Pickford took half a step too far left for the Salah goal. A small error in the grand scheme of things.
Where is the criticism of the 10 outfield players who did nothing to prevent the goal?

Allison was more out of position for Everton’s goal. Again, where is the criticism?

Was he ?‍♂️ - centre of the goal for a one on one and nearly stopped it

Last edited by a moderator:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Pickford took half a step too far left for the Salah goal. A small error in the grand scheme of things.
Where is the criticism of the 10 outfield players who did nothing to prevent the goal?

Allison was more out of position for Everton’s goal. Again, where is the criticism?

I think Ederson showed last night why he has crept ahead of Allison.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Pickford's a good indicator of the mess the team is in. For such an experienced player where’s the leadership and command on the pitch? He makes some exceptional saves but that’s not the wider issue.

Loss of guaranteed possession from the back, both flailing balls up the pitch and strange choices in short balls. Goals from set pieces, the general defensive organisation and confusion. Bickering. These are all signs of something rotten in communication and strategy that he should (and can!) command. He’s not the only cause of it but for a player with his experience he’s complicit in the mess and I'd expect better.

He looks like a completely different person when in goal for England. It's frustrating to see.

D

Deleted member 1740

Mate, we can criticise him all day, infact we could probably do it to 99% of PL Keepers, but we don’t, just Pickford, it’s lazy and unfair.

Even his distribution, has any player got a 100% success rate making a pass or as Brian put, what was his % of succesful passes.

Totally unfair using last night to prove it one way or another, we could of been 6 or 7 down by half time, Jota’s goal was superb, but no mention of how easily we were ripped apart or the pass finding him free in the box, or how he left Allan for dead? Nope, just Pickford getting beat at his near post!:mad:

We've had this discussion before about his distribution. I've been consistent on it. I was using last night as examples.

I'm not saying his distribition should be 100% every game or week. Since he's been at Everton his distribution hasnt improved enough imo.

I hope he stays Englands No1.

Jota's turn for the goal was superb, not many defenders are getting anywhere near Jota nevermind Allan a CM.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think Pickford's a good indicator of the mess the team is in. For such an experienced player where’s the leadership and command on the pitch? He makes some exceptional saves but that’s not the wider issue.

Loss of guaranteed possession from the back, both flailing balls up the pitch and strange choices in short balls. Goals from set pieces, the general defensive organisation and confusion. Bickering. These are all signs of something rotten in communication and strategy that he should (and can!) command. He’s not the only cause of it but for a player with his experience he’s complicit in the mess and I'd expect better.

He looks like a completely different person when in goal for England. It's frustrating to see.
Try being an Everton fan, injury excuses can only be used so much, the basic errors all over the field are shocking.

One thing I don’t want to see is Benitez getting the sack.

D

Deleted member 16999

We've had this discussion before about his distribution. I've been consistent on it. I was using last night as examples.

I'm not saying his distribition should be 100% every game or week. Since he's been at Everton his distribution hasnt improved enough imo.

I hope he stays Englands No1.

Jota's turn for the goal was superb, not many defenders are getting anywhere near Jota nevermind Allan a CM.
Unfortunately others can’t think for themselves and join your bandwagon.;)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jota's goal didn't squeeze through a small gap at the near post. It was hit at close range, like a rocket, whistling past Pickford's ear, or was it giving him a centre parting? Singling that incident out for criticism is harsh in the extreme, he had no reaction time for that shot.

D

Deleted member 15344

Anyway - it all deflects away from how great Salah is ??

I understand that Everton where financially hamstrung because of FFP and they couldn’t spent much so the question is wtf have they spent their money on ?!

Where is the quality on the pitch for that level of money spent - there best player was a £1.5mil signing in Gray.

Why is that Brands still being allowed to buy players when it appears that he is shocking

Swango1980

Visit site

I certainly don't watch Pickford week in, week out, but he does seem to make some big mistakes / great saves. It would appear he makes more mistakes than others, although whether that is true, or they are just highlighted more as he is England's No 1, I'm not sure. I suspect one of the big things that works to his advantage is that when he makes a mistake, it doesn't appear to phase him. I've seen keepers in the past who make one big mistake, and their whole demeanour transforms. It is mentioned in the media, and their confidence seems to snowball downhill. It can pretty much plague their career if they are not careful. With Pickford, it just seems like he has pretty much forgotten about it 30 seconds later, and I guess that is a strength (although potentially a bit of a weakness if he forgets to learn from those mistakes?)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Pickford is a very average keeper, but he does probably get too much scrutiny thanks to being England no. 1 for several years now. Ramsdale, I'll admit, I thought he was rubbish. For the last two years he suffered consecutive relegations, and the stats at the time showed that he barely made any saves. But fair play to him, he's come into a different environment, a bigger club, and I guess he's one of those keepers who looks better when he has less to do, as opposed to some other keepers who look better when they're busier. But he's only been in the side 3 months, it's not enough to be England no. 1 yet I don't think.

On paper I still think Henderson is potentially the best keeper, but while he's sitting on the bench at United, we're not going to see it.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Try being an Everton fan, injury excuses can only be used so much, the basic errors all over the field are shocking.

One thing I don’t want to see is Benitez getting the sack.

Ha! Well I guess the cat's out the bag, I've tried being an Everton fan for over 40 years, hopefully I've got another 40 years being blue in me but I'm starting to wonder what the point of it all was. :D

Agree on Rafa, if change is needed anywhere it's in the board.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Jota's goal didn't squeeze through a small gap at the near post. It was hit at close range, like a rocket, whistling past Pickford's ear, or was it giving him a centre parting? Singling that incident out for criticism is harsh in the extreme, he had no reaction time for that shot.

I’m not anti Pickford, but no goalkeeper should get beat at his near post. His body was leaning to his left anticipating the ball going in that direction, meaning he was off balance and unable to react properly.
Ryan Giggs so called wonder goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup didn’t reflect well on David Seamen. Seamen’s body shape was all wrong, he was falling backwards and was hunched down as the ball went in at the roof of the net.
Seamen should have stood tall.

D

Deleted member 16999

Ha! Well I guess the cat's out the bag, I've tried being an Everton fan for over 40 years, hopefully I've got another 40 years being blue in me but I'm starting to wonder what the point of it all was. :D

Agree on Rafa, if change is needed anywhere it's in the board.
Certainly very difficult at the moment, only positive from last night was I wasn’t there to witness it, unlike 1982 when I witnessed the 5-0 drubbing and Rush getting 4.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m not anti Pickford, but no goalkeeper should get beat at his near post. His body was leaning to his left anticipating the ball going in that direction, meaning he was off balance and unable to react properly.
Ryan Giggs so called wonder goal against Arsenal in the FA Cup didn’t reflect well on David Seamen. Seamen’s body shape was all wrong, he was falling backwards and was hunched down as the ball went in at the roof of the net.
I don't think it's far to say they should never be beaten at the near post. If someone hits it 100mph at the top corner it's always going to be tough to keep out, near post or not. It's not like they can just cover the near side and give the striker free reign to tap it inside the far post instead. They're hitting these balls pretty hard nowadays.

D

Deleted member 16999

Or maybe, just maybe we congratulate the goalscorer and accept every goalkeeper gets beat at sometime at his near post and it’s just not correct to say no goalkeeper should.:unsure:

You could literally analyse every goal and suggest with hindsight how the keeper should or could of saved it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure anyone could react at that range and velocity. I know there is a big thing about near post and keepers but this wasn't past his, foot, ankle, thigh, waist. It went past his noggin :oops:. Even if stood against his post I'm not sure he stops it and even if he does it is because it hit him, not because he moved. Any reaction he made was after the ball was past him. You could well be right about his body lean but it is still a tough call.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
he had no reaction time for that shot.

It was a great goal by Jota. But Pickford could have dealt with it better. He knows from that range that there is no reaction time, so why is he setting himself up in a position to react to the ball as if its 20 yards out instead of closing down the ability to shoot near post in the first place? Jota slotted the ball through the space Pickford gave him because his hands were completely inactive down by his legs. I know its nitpicking in the grand scheme of things but he can do better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It was a great goal by Jota. But Pickford could have dealt with it better. He knows from that range that there is no reaction time, so why is he setting himself up in a position to react to the ball as if its 20 yards out instead of closing down the ability to shoot near post in the first place? Jota slotted the ball through the space Pickford gave him because his hands were completely inactive down by his legs. I know its nitpicking in the grand scheme of things but he can do better.
What if he shoots low and his hands are high? Most strikers don't go for the roof of the net in those circumstances, being 3-1 up gave Jota the luxury of that option.