The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
Agree. I can't understand taking a step down to manage them.
I can try and provide a potential answer to that. Basically, I don't think managers decide on where they want to be purely on how good or bad a football club is. There is much more to it.

From my own perspective, let us say I was a manager and was the manager at PSG. As I'm a fan of Man Utd, I'll rule out Utd, Liverpool, City, Chelsea as options as clearly I'll have more biased views. However, I'd probably fancy the challenge at Spurs or even Newcastle, rather than PSG. Clearly the money would need to be right as well, but I'd move to those 2 clubs despite fact they are unlikely a better side than PSG.

Maybe Poch does prefer to be in France, I don't know. But, maybe he prefers the British culture and fans? Maybe he thinks he'll get more money at Utd. Maybe he thinks he'll have more say in transfers? Maybe he doesn't enjoy France as anything other than winning Champions league is considered failure. Maybe he prefers Utd because he thinks it is a tasty project to come into, where there is a great opportunity to improve what they have, this a better chance to be considered successful.

I can't answer why any manager would go to Utd, or any other club. But, there seem to be many reasons why managing Man Utd could be appealing than most other clubs in the world. Even a trivial thing, Poch could tell his grandkids that he had the pleasure of coaching both Messi and Ronaldo, the 2 greatest footballers of all time in many people's eyes :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
To be honest the United job is becoming a poisoned chalice or the Willy Wonka golden ticket to a big payoff depending on your point of view. Big job whichever way you cut it. I think Paul Merson might have a point (no really) https://www.skysports.com/football/...-ole-gunnar-solskjaers-manchester-united-plan

I’ve had some stick here for questioning the logic of Ronaldo’s signing, but Merson has echoed my thoughts. I’m not claiming any sort of excellence in football knowledge, but it’s nice to see someone who does know the game say the same.

I’ll say again, Ronaldo is a class act. Certainly the best I’ve seen first hand. And it’s great to see him back in the Premier League. But I never saw him as part of the plan, certainly when it came to Sancho’s arrival, and I again wonder how much his arrival and accommodation in this United starting line up has contributed to where we now are.

D

Deleted member 1740

The sacking confirms the club is a mess. They’ve reacted to saturday’s defeat, if they’d had beat Watford he stays in a job.

They’ve confirmed they’ll be going for an interim manager til the end of season. Then what?

I can only assume they've got someome lined up ready for next season.

The strange thing about the sacking is the coaching staff, who have been with OGS and arguably as culpable for the results as the manager was have kept their jobs.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The sacking confirms the club is a mess. They’ve reacted to saturday’s defeat, if they’d had beat Watford he stays in a job.

They’ve confirmed they’ll be going for an interim manager til the end of season. Then what?

I can only assume they've got someome lined up ready for next season.

The strange thing about the sacking is the coaching staff, who have been with OGS and arguably as culpable for the results as the manager was have kept their jobs.

Couldn’t agree more.
Feel for Ole
No plan,no structure.

Does it mean this week players will start running and start putting in a shift,I can’t see it.
Maguire came out yesterday saying “they are trying as hard as they can” well I beg to differ,and he’s probably the worst of the lot.
A long road ahead.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Let's be frank, Oli didnt do the job well, the players let him down and I really have no view that he ever was a " legend" . I'm just sad that they may now improve as a team, I'd be very happy to see them relegated as I did many years back ??

D

Deleted member 1740

Couldn’t agree more.
Feel for Ole
No plan,no structure.

Does it mean this week players will start running and start putting in a shift,I can’t see it.
Maguire came out yesterday saying “they are trying as hard as they can” well I beg to differ,and he’s probably the worst of the lot.
A long road ahead.

I don't feel for Ole, its part and parcel of football. There's very little loyalty in football unfortunately.

What i was surprised at, was Carrick's interview about his ideas on how they're going to play etc.

I wonder if he discussed his ideas to his gaffer over the last few months??

As for Maguire, he's a liability.

Look at his 2nd yellow card on saturday, he loses control of a ball and he's got no one near him. Over runs it and makes a stupid late tackle.

Top defenders dont do that.
The worlds most expensive defender does though ???

D

Deleted member 18121

I’ve had some stick here for questioning the logic of Ronaldo’s signing, but Merson has echoed my thoughts. I’m not claiming any sort of excellence in football knowledge, but it’s nice to see someone who does know the game say the same.

I’ll say again, Ronaldo is a class act. Certainly the best I’ve seen first hand. And it’s great to see him back in the Premier League. But I never saw him as part of the plan, certainly when it came to Sancho’s arrival, and I again wonder how much his arrival and accommodation in this United starting line up has contributed to where we now are.

Ive said the same thing to guys at work and always get met with stares like I've said something offensive about their mothers.

Ole took United to 6th, 3rd and 2nd in the PL during his stint at the wheel. They sign Ronaldo and then this happens...... Oles way of organising his team was compromised by Ronaldo's signing.

Good luck to the next guy. He's going to need it.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
1. I don't feel for Ole, its part and parcel of football. There's very little loyalty in football unfortunately.

What i was surprised at, was Carrick's interview about his ideas on how they're going to play etc.

I wonder if he discussed his ideas to his gaffer over the last few months??

As for Maguire, he's a liability.

2. Look at his 2nd yellow card on Saturday, he loses control of a ball and he's got no one near him. Over runs it and makes a stupid late tackle.
Top defenders don't do that.

The worlds most expensive defender does though ???

1. I felt sorry for VVD when he did his leg last season, that's part and parcel of football. Does that make me odd?

2. But that's a huge part of Utd's problem right now. Confidence is through the floor and players are scared when they have the ball which, I believe, is why nobody showed for the ball when Maguire had it. He had to deal with the situation on his own with no help from a teammate. Okay, he dealt with it badly and next time he'll hopefully take the row Z route.

D

Deleted member 15344

1. I felt sorry for VVD when he did his leg last season, that's part and parcel of football. Does that make me odd?

2. But that's a huge part of Utd's problem right now. Confidence is through the floor and players are scared when they have the ball which, I believe, is why nobody showed for the ball when Maguire had it. He had to deal with the situation on his own with no help from a teammate. Okay, he dealt with it badly and next time he'll hopefully take the row Z route.

Someone suffering a serious knee injury is touch different to someone being sacked for being rubbish surely

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Sancho, arguably the worlds in form out and out winger for 18 months, arrives the same time as one If the best box predators of all time. Match made in heaven imo.
id s]certainly not be using aversion as a yardstick for valid opinions.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Someone suffering a serious knee injury is touch different to someone being sacked for being rubbish surely

The point is that it's all part and parcel of football, which was Stu's point.
Maybe I just have too much compassion, but I feel sorry for Ole because he really cares.
We all know he wasn't up to the job, but he tried and failed, and yes, I feel sorry for him.
I felt no sorrow for Mourinho, for example, as the job meant little to him other than to fill his wallet and massage his ego, with Ole it was completely different, surely even you can appreciate that.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The point is that it's all part and parcel of football, which was Stu's point.
Maybe I just have too much compassion, but I feel sorry for Ole because he really cares.
We all know he wasn't up to the job, but he tried and failed, and yes, I feel sorry for him.
I felt no sorrow for Mourinho, for example, as the job meant little to him other than to fill his wallet and massage his ego, with Ole it was completely different, surely even you can appreciate that.
Sorry, but generally speaking the player who suffers an injury is very rarely at fault. Ole has been “at the wheel“ long enough to be accountable.
imo, he should have walked, that would have saved his credibility a small amount.

D

Deleted member 1740

How can you feel sorry for some one who isn’t good enough to do a job he’s extremely well paid to do?

Football is about results and the book stops with the manager regardless of how good the players are or how out of form they are.

I totally understand Yernited fans feeling sorry for him, he’s one of theirs, a club legend etc. I’ve been there with Kenny.

Maguire was doing the above when he was in form too. Look at how many last ditch tackles he has to make because he’s poor positionally. He seemed confident when he was giving it the big’un after scoring for England.

He wouldn’t have to put it in row Z if his game was good enough, he’d retain possession/ pass it to a team mate.

Leicester is his Level. He’ll never be good enough for Yernited IMO.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but generally speaking the player who suffers an injury is very rarely at fault. Ole has been “at the wheel“ long enough to be accountable.
imo, he should have walked, that would have saved his credibility a small amount.

That may well be the case, but I still feel sorry for him.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can you feel sorry for some one who isn’t good enough to do a job he’s extremely well paid to do?

Football is about results and the book stops with the manager regardless of how good the players are or how out of form they are.

I totally understand Yernited fans feeling sorry for him, he’s one of theirs, a club legend etc. I’ve been there with Kenny.

Maguire was doing the above when he was in form too. Look at how many last ditch tackles he has to make because he’s poor positionally. He seemed confident when he was giving it the big’un after scoring for England.

He wouldn’t have to put it in row Z if his game was good enough, he’d retain possession/ pass it to a team mate.

Leicester is his Level. He’ll never be good enough for Yernited IMO.

But that's my point ......................... his team mates were missing in action.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But that's my point ......................... his team mates were missing in action.
Your attributing Slab heads mess up to his team mates?

Look at the guys ego for England? He's a mid table CB who got as lucky as Southgate did at the last world cup.

Imo If UTD drop him you wouldn't even get 30m for him.