The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Greenwood has certainly never lived up to his hype. Id argue Rashford the same.

United fans mention them all the time like they're world beaters - far from it - but had they had a Klopp/Pep level manager for 3 years it could have been a different story.

Not too late for either with the right appointment.
Rashford is there because he’s good for PR.
UTD should have sacked him,Pogba ,Maguire & Lingard aswell.

Swango1980

Visit site
Rashford is there because he’s good for PR.
UTD should have sacked him,Pogba ,Maguire & Lingard aswell.
Hmmm, I'd think it would be hasty to give up on Greenwood at this stage. Yes, his form has dipped big time since he campaigning outside football. Maybe that is a factor, or maybe it is coincidence his campaigning happened at a time the coaching was failing all players in the squad. He still shows that potential that he could be one of the biggest attacking threats for Utd if he learnt how to complete a move. If he had good players around him, maybe he'd feel less obliged to take on the opposition by himself.

Pogba and Martial should have gone long ago. Perhaps Martial has just unfortunately been impacted by the same poor coaching and he is just further down the line Rashford seems to be on. However, Pogba is incredibly frustrating, and with all the rubbish that comes out through his agent, he should just go.

I'd have agreed with Lingard a few seasons ago, but he is an example of a player who gets a chance on loan, gets the platform to show his talent and gain confidence, and therefore someone who should be given another chance I think. Bit like Orikoru's point on Greenwood going on loan, albeit Greenwood is younger. Maguire, undoubtedly, has been absolutely shocking. Clearly, he will never be VVD, but VVD is probably the best CB in world, so there is no shame not being as good as him. However, I can't believe Maguire is as bad as he has shown. I think Utd are hopelessly exposed defensively, and Maguire is having a crisis in confidence. Maybe he is a shocker of a defender and he hid it before joining Utd, but I still hold some hope that if Utd got a good manager, things settle down, he could become an excellent player for the club.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, I'd think it would be hasty to give up on Greenwood at this stage. Yes, his form has dipped big time since he campaigning outside football. Maybe that is a factor, or maybe it is coincidence his campaigning happened at a time the coaching was failing all players in the squad. He still shows that potential that he could be one of the biggest attacking threats for Utd if he learnt how to complete a move. If he had good players around him, maybe he'd feel less obliged to take on the opposition by himself.

Pogba and Martial should have gone long ago. Perhaps Martial has just unfortunately been impacted by the same poor coaching and he is just further down the line Rashford seems to be on. However, Pogba is incredibly frustrating, and with all the rubbish that comes out through his agent, he should just go.

I'd have agreed with Lingard a few seasons ago, but he is an example of a player who gets a chance on loan, gets the platform to show his talent and gain confidence, and therefore someone who should be given another chance I think. Bit like Orikoru's point on Greenwood going on loan, albeit Greenwood is younger. Maguire, undoubtedly, has been absolutely shocking. Clearly, he will never be VVD, but VVD is probably the best CB in world, so there is no shame not being as good as him. However, I can't believe Maguire is as bad as he has shown. I think Utd are hopelessly exposed defensively, and Maguire is having a crisis in confidence. Maybe he is a shocker of a defender and he hid it before joining Utd, but I still hold some hope that if Utd got a good manager, things settle down, he could become an excellent player for the club.
I was talking to some pals about Maguire, I do think he's overrated, wasn't worth the fee that was paid at all - I think he's reasonably solid, amazing in the air, but over-confident on the ball and possibly thinks he's more gifted than he really is, so he makes silly blunders. But my mate pointed out that having McTominay and Fred in front of you is not a great help in looking like a competent centre back, he's had far too much to do, which I think is a fair point as well. If United brought in a proper defensive midfielder - someone like Rice perhaps - and Varane gets fit alongside him, I think Maguire would start to look a lot better. As good as Van Dijk certainly is, he does also have Fabinho in front of him, and even Henderson who's better than anyone United have there.

D

Deleted member 15344

The reason why they play McTominey/Fred and Matic in front so much is because the two CBs they play in front off aren’t good enough so they are trying to protect them further

They miss someone to link between the back line and whoever is at 10 - plus right now Fernandes is a passenger

Wonder how they would be with a midfield three of

Fred Mc Tominey and VDB

With

Rashford , Sancho , Ronaldo, Greenwood , Cavani forming a front three

Liverpool , Chelsea and Man City play one solid DM with two number 8 type players alongside

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everton will quite happily give Greenwood a bit of game time right now. Through the middle as well ;).

I think Utd have not been too smart this year on the squad front. They clearly have an excess in certain areas and they should have sent the likes of Greenwood out on loan for a season, as @Orikoru rightly pointed out. Get him played through the middle as a central striker, get minutes under his belt. He goes back a better player or they sell him on. Either way it helps manage the squad better, improves the younger ones. They are stagnating players right now, never good to do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The reason why they play McTominey/Fred and Matic in front so much is because the two CBs they play in front off aren’t good enough so they are trying to protect them further

They miss someone to link between the back line and whoever is at 10 - plus right now Fernandes is a passenger

Fred Mc Tominey and VDB

With

Liverpool , Chelsea and Man City play one solid DM with two number 8 type players alongside
You've identified the problem with your own post. Man Utd don't have a good defensive midfielder. McTominay and Fred are box-to-box, and Matic is about 40 years old - or at least runs like he is. No one in their squad is good enough at protecting the defence. There is no Kanté/Fabinho/Rodri/Hojbjerg/Rice/Ndidi.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You've identified the problem with your own post. Man Utd don't have a good defensive midfielder. McTominay and Fred are box-to-box, and Matic is about 40 years old - or at least runs like he is. No one in their squad is good enough at protecting the defence. There is no Kanté/Fabinho/Rodri/Hojbjerg/Rice/Ndidi.

Indeed, most of Maguire's good work at Leicester was done with Kante in front of him and I suspect he could make even the worst of defenses shine.

Swango1980

Visit site

Fred Mc Tominey and VDB

With

Sort of agree, sort of don't. Certainly, the defense is hopelessly exposed, look very shaky, and so Ole played two defensive midfielders to help protect them. However, the two defensive midfielders are also hopelessly exposed (and that is TWO off them, not just one). Again, this could be partly due to poor communication and understanding with the back 4. However, is is largely because the forward players offer no support whatsover. None of them, at best they casually trot back, but there is never any purpose. It doesn't take every single forward to defend hard, but if Bruno, Greenwood and Rashford / Martial were able to assist the team when we didn't have the ball, everyone behind them would have a much easier life.

That is why I don't like to criticise individual players too much. If they've not been coached how they can work as a team, then I can see why any player would struggle. Even if you replaced any of them with a Rice / Fabinho / Matip / etc. At end of the day, although they may be playing teams of "inferior" players, they are still up against top professional sides that will find them out if there is no real team plan. And maybe that is a large problem United have had for a long time. They think they can simply rely on buying highly rated players. I have nothing wrong with that part of a philosophy, as long as they do not forget about the more important part - having a coaching staff who can manage a squad of players to play in the most effective way. and that are decisive when they need to be.

D

Deleted member 1740

Maybe West Ham was Lingard's level? To my memory he's been average for the last 5 seasons. A good loan spell shouldnt have been enough for him to stay at yernited. He's another one whose reputation is higher than his actual ability.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Maybe West Ham was Lingard's level? To my memory he's been average for the last 5 seasons. A good loan spell shouldnt have been enough for him to stay at yernited. He's another one whose reputation is higher than his actual ability.

I think United missed a trick not just flogging him in the summer. Could have cashed in for around 30m. Not mega money in the scheme of things for United but why not sell a player you have no intention of starting on a regular basis? Instead they have tried to get him to sign a new deal and now those talks have broken down........ mental management

Swango1980

Visit site
Yes, he has been average, so maybe you are right. But, he played well in a Premier League team that seem to be well drilled, against Premier League opposition. He hasn't exactly had that at Man Utd in his career. At Man Utd he has been in a team full of egos but who combine into a dodgy team. At West Ham he grew in confidence and showed what he could be capable of, so I felt Utd and Ole may try and take advantage of that. They didn't / haven't.
I think United missed a trick not just flogging him in the summer. Could have cashed in for around 30m. Not mega money in the scheme of things for United but why not sell a player you have no intention of starting on a regular basis? Instead they have tried to get him to sign a new deal and now those talks have broken down........ mental management
Sure, if Ole had no intention of giving him a good run in the team, cashing in on him would have made sense. It is these sort of issues that confuse the life out of me in terms of what management is trying to achieve, and who has a say in what.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Is that the same West Ham that are currently above of ManU?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nothing like a quick snap shot of a situation to try and claim a cheap point.

Not sure even the most ardent West Ham fan would dispute that the club's are at different levels.
Still, it makes you think, maybe United should have a go at poaching West Ham's manager since he's done so well. Who's that again?

D

Deleted member 15344

So Carricks first step is dropping Fernandes to the bench , bringing in VDB , also Martial and Sancho to support Ronaldo