The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’d love to know what is so unholy about Arab money but American money is so sacred, unless it’s at Utd, not that the mighty Middlesbrough is tainted either way;)

If you havent got the long argument by now of massive un-regulated spend, then you never will.

Should it be the best team / manager / self-earned income that trumps all, as it did for probably 100 years of football in England (with many, many clubs winning it for decades - 60's onwards - Leicester, Burnley, Man U, Man city, Forest, Everton, us, Spurs, Arsenal, Villa, Derby etc) , or a 1-2 billion pound investment that blows everyone out of the water. The first is a sport, the second isn't.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you havent got the long argument by now of massive un-regulated spend, then you never will.

Should it be the best team / manager / self-earned income that trumps all, as it did for probably 100 years of football in England (with many, many clubs winning it for decades - 60's onwards - Leicester, Burnley, Man U, Man city, Forest, Everton, us, Spurs, Arsenal, Villa, Derby etc) , or a 1-2 billion pound investment that blows everyone out of the water. The first is a sport, the second isn't.

And of course if Liverpool were sold to Oil billionaires and started spending billions? I suspect most fans would be ok with it.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes we did make the biggest loss that year because of the players bought in the summer - the year before we made a profit of just over £150mil I think it was - it was all down to the player sales before the year end of the accounts and the player purchases after. So it’s balanced out over the two accounting years.

Why do you keep saying “I think it was” these stats are obviously Googled

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Yes we did make the biggest loss that year because of the players bought in the summer - the year before we made a profit of just over £150mil I think it was - it was all down to the player sales before the year end of the accounts and the player purchases after. So it’s balanced out over the two accounting years.
Any chance you could give us all a run down of Liverpool’s business model Phil,it really is fascinating ? ?

D

Deleted member 15344

But it shouldn’t just be about net spend. What’s the point of carrying £500m debt but having a good net spend. Being able to service the debt is great but racking it up, as ALL the top clubs have done, is a gamble. Great if it pays off in terms of success but the debt is still there when things go west aka Arsenal.

Good financial planning is now often done on a 5 year rolling plan. Planning for a £500m debt on a wish and a prayer isn’t good planning. All the top clubs are doing it, and none are squeaky clean, inc Liverpool.

Liverpool work on a self sustaining model - any debt we have currently is a loan from the owners to build up the stadium. Then money spent on players is money that the club earn from income including player sales , the owners don’t spend their own money and they don’t take out loans to buy players. They recently had to take out a credit line to help pay the bills through the pandemic and I believe that’s been paid back again.

Spurs have nearly £900mil in debt but most is the stadium and believe they have taken out further loans , Arsenal as well , Man Utd have the facility with the bank , Chelsea spend what they make (Lukaku was funded by player sales ) and who knows where City get their money from.

We have supporters demanding our owners sell up because the belief is we can’t compete in the transfer market and because they don’t spend their own money on players. All this thinking started when Abramovich arrived and then the City owners took to a new level - other fans want to see their club do the same , where as I am happy to see the club spend within its means.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s interesting when we talk about diving or trailing legs etc
When a defender is at full stretch or his full force goes into a challenge or a player goes over the top serious injuries can occur.
A player sometimes sees this coming and will adapt in a mini second to prevent him being hurt.
We often say “if his leg was planted it would have been broken”.
Defenders need to stay on their feet and not dive in.
Midfielders need to stop going over the ball.
Goalkeepers need to stop coming out and lifting their knees up.
Will they? Of course not ,so refs and VAR officials need to have a better understanding of what’s malicious and what’s not.
I’ve played football to a decent standard never once went into a tackle not to win the ball,was I late,yes many times.
Would I know if I meant to hurt someone,of course I would.
I think most of us now know the divers.
We no the hard tacklers the dirty players and the outright cheaters.
It’s about time refs and VAR start doing their jobs better.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
On the subject of spending and Net spend - I think the liverpool model is absolutely brilliant and credit to the owners for following it so strongly over the years - the club is very secure. If only every owner of a football team operated in a similar fashion, we wouldnt be seeing the Bury situation!

Swango1980

Visit site
https://t.co/Jy9THY5su8

Didn't notice at the time but Ronaldo was going down before zouma even got to him lol

Yep, he's seen the defender fly in, made sure he gets to the ball first, and then anticipates the impact is coming. If players simply stayed on their feet, assuming no contact, and only contact impacts on their balance, I'd imagine there would be many nasty injuries. I've done it myself, where I've fallen to the ground when trying to get out of the way of a challenge. Sometimes I might be able to stay on my feet, other times no chance, it just depends on my momentum and balance at the time. It seems like referees are going to be happy with defenders flying into challenges this season, and offer no punishment if no or minimal contact is made (or contact after ball). We all saw the challenge of Tarkowski on Richarlison last week that went unpunished. The officials do not have a clue. They are trying to rigidly stick to guidelines directed to them, they have no form of common sense or understanding of what is and what is not acceptable.

In all reality, do fans really know what is and what is not an acceptable challenge anymore? Do professional defenders even know? I'm all for letting the game flow, and letting game go on when a player throws themselves to the ground after getting a gentle nudge on the back (like defenders often do when trying to shield ball deep in their own half). But if players dive into a challenge, do not win the ball and the opponent is either hit or has to take evasive action, the ref needs to act.

D

Deleted member 15344

Interesting comments on Ronaldo going down before the contact and indeed with zero contact at all - Ronaldo anticipated the tackle and went down , it’s diving/simulation - if he thinks the tackle is coming then why not “jump over it” - the reason why is because if there is contact he will get the penalty.

He has fell on the floor dramatically with no contact at all - it’s a dive