The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clearly they don’t as Spurs see a European Competition as less than the Charity Shield.

I’m positive you don’t speak for all Fans as none of us one here do.🙄
What are you talking about? I could count on one hand the number of people I've met who count the charity shield as a trophy. Must be less than 1% of fans. It's a friendly with a shiny plate at the end.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
If Man Utd happen to win the Community Shield next year, and follow it up with an open top bus parade through the streets of Manchester, I suspect other fans might just enjoy mocking us for a while. I think most Man Utd fans would be embarrassed.

I'd say the same thing if Man Utd did that after winning a Club World Cup.

I suspect fans celebrate massively when their club wins a league, or are ecstatic after winning a League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League or Europa Conference League final. All because there is a journey to get there, the start of that journey a time when there are many good clubs that could win it. Whereas, Community Shield is a one off game. The World Club Cup is effectively a tournament where one club is pretty much guaranteed to win it, as long as they give about 60/70% effort minimum.

A club won’t have a parade for winning a club World Cup etc but those trophies or the chance to win them are a consequence of winning the big trophy in club football

The Charity Shield - you don’t have to win anything to play in it as we saw with Arsenal and it is the typical pre season curtain raiser

It’s why it doesn’t appear on the wall for us

Man Utd fans used to count them because with them it put them above Liverpool in the list of most successful English club

PaulMdj

Visit site
What are you talking about? I could count on one hand the number of people I've met who count the charity shield as a trophy. Must be less than 1% of fans. It's a friendly with a shiny plate at the end.
You’re missing the point! It doesn’t matter what you or I think of the Charity Shield, the discussion was about, firstly The World Club Cup and then the The Super Cup, to win either of those you have to of been a European Champion (if from Europe).

You equated them to the Charity Shield which is nonsense, however, if a Club wishes, as all the Winners of it do, want to list it as a Major Honour, then fine, I don’t see it as a problem.

But its certainly not on the level of the other 2.

Anyway, best we stop this discussion as other forum members will be bored and the snidey comments will start.

Have a good day.👍🏻

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Toon fans certainly don't count it despite it being their last "trophy", no real fan would count the Charity Shield as nothing more than a nice day out at Wembley imo.

Swango1980

Visit site
That’s fine, but if a Club lists it as a Major Honour and some of your fans recognise that, what’s the issue? Different points of view are allowed.
Absolutely, different points of view are allowed. But, are you accepting of the view of some in here that these competitions are not Major honours? Or are you strongly arguing against their view, by indicating that a few fans may see them as Major Honours?

I mean, just because a club lists them on a Major Honour list is not really relevant. It is just a wording or definition issue. They could be classed as Major Honours simply because they are official competitions that run every year, but it doesn't necessarily make them all equally important.

As I said, I seriously doubt most fans get excited about these competitions like the Community Shield. But, out of millions of fans, I'm sure there will be one or 2 that will embrace them with every fiber of their being

PaulMdj

Visit site
Absolutely, different points of view are allowed. But, are you accepting of the view of some in here that these competitions are not Major honours? Or are you strongly arguing against their view, by indicating that a few fans may see them as Major Honours?

I mean, just because a club lists them on a Major Honour list is not really relevant. It is just a wording or definition issue. They could be classed as Major Honours simply because they are official competitions that run every year, but it doesn't necessarily make them all equally important.

As I said, I seriously doubt most fans get excited about these competitions like the Community Shield. But, out of millions of fans, I'm sure there will be one or 2 that will embrace them with every fiber of their being
I don’t for one minute thing the Charity Shield is a Major Honour, the other 2 I absolutely do.

What I said was, if a Club lists the Charity Shield as one of their Major Honours then so be it, and if some of their fans go along with that, then I’ve no issue.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Toon fans certainly don't count it despite it being their last "trophy", no real fan would count the Charity Shield as nothing more than a nice day out at Wembley imo.

I don’t think anyone takes the charity anything more than a pre season friendly

It is a good day out but a team could be playing in after not winning anything the year before

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Super Cup isn't a 'major honour' it's nothing but a money-making showpiece for UEFA. You don't 'qualify' for it, that makes it sound like winning the Champion's League is nothing but a pre-cursor and the Super Cup is some grand event that supersedes it - which is obviously false. It's been won by the Champion's League winner (as you'd likely expect) for 9 of the last 10 occasions.

The Club World Cup obviously has a much bigger claim for being an actual trophy, because at least there are multiple rounds and what have you. The argument here was more that it's just a pointless exercise to even exist, since the European champions will win it 9 times out of 10, and indeed have won the last 11 in a row.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don’t for one minute thing the Charity Shield is a Major Honour, the other 2 I absolutely do.

What I said was, if a Club lists the Charity Shield as one of their Major Honours then so be it, and if some of their fans go along with that, then I’ve no issue.
Ironically, the Community Shield is probably harder to win than the Club World Cup.

Perhaps Britain should start up another tournament. The British Cup, or something fancy. The league winners of all countries in the British Isles. See how Man City, Celtic, Larne and The New Saints do against each other. And, when Man City win it, praise them for adding another major trophy to their cabinet :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Discussions about what is a major trophy or not tickle
Me. If City win the league cup. Which they have always took seriously. It’s
( apparently) the least appealing of the Four majors. Yet if Mansfield Town won it. It’s a Major achievement. How’s that work out. Is it down to a fans snobbery or expectations of we are too big for that cup.
Going down the divisions to Johnson’s paint trophy and other obsolete trophy’s. If it involved a trip to Wembley. Then it’s a chance of a trophy. Also am not to sure if fans have much choice in what trophies we go for.
It odd how some trophies in Europe are also rammel. There was big discussion that Utd could get into Europe if they beat City in the FA cup. There wasn’t much discussion about it being a Rammel competition at the time. Ask any real fan if they fancy a night in Europe watching there team and most would jump at the chance. Even a night in Mansfield watching the Stags v City in the league cup has its appeal to fans. 👍
Cup competitions don’t just mean winning rammel trophies and counting them. It means Giant killing like when Utd beat City. 😉😁

Tashyboy

Visit site

Folks may not be excited about the charity shield as a trophy, however some charity shield games are something to look forward to. The next one between City and Utd being one. It is odd how some fans get a little giddy after picking up the charity shield trophy. It’s our season is a usual response. One way or another it’s not usually a taster of how the season can pan out.
That said, it’s as good a way start a season as any.

Swango1980

Visit site
Folks may not be excited about the charity shield as a trophy, however some charity shield games are something to look forward to. The next one between City and Utd being one. It is odd how some fans get a little giddy after picking up the charity shield trophy. It’s our season is a usual response. One way or another it’s not usually a taster of how the season can pan out.
That said, it’s as good a way start a season as any.
The only thing I like about the Community Shield is that it is a signal that the league season is about to begin the week later. Like the Par 3 competition at Augusta. It is rubbish, but there can be an element of excitement because it means the Masters starts the following day.

Tashyboy

Visit site
The only thing I like about the Community Shield is that it is a signal that the league season is about to begin the week later. Like the Par 3 competition at Augusta. It is rubbish, but there can be an element of excitement because it means the Masters starts the following day.
Plus it raises a few quid for charity. 👍

Tashyboy

Visit site
He deffo would, he scored 19 goals this season. I would like to see him and Haaland up front with say Doku. Foden Rodri and KDB in midfield 👍

Tashyboy

Visit site
So Man City, the club that have 115 charges against them for FFP. Are now spending £300 million on a ground extension. To update the already world class stadium. Yet this is allowed because FFP allows owners to spend as much of their own money as they want on “ infrastructure”. Hmmm 🤔