The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
View attachment 53542

But Klopp's a genius and one of the best ever Liverpool managers and ETH is a flop and not good enough. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Klopp wasn’t the manager for the last 11 years 🤷‍♂️ just as ETH wasn’t the Man Utd for the last 11 years

think it’s also 6 trophies for Man Utd

Prem , 2 x FA Cup , 2 x league Cup and 1 Europa over 11 years

7 for Liverpool

Prem , CL , 1 x FA Cup , 2 x League Cup , 1 x UEFA Super Cup and 1 x Club World Cup over 6 years

But you know what they say about stats eh

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 53542

But Klopp's a genius and one of the best ever Liverpool managers and ETH is a flop and not good enough. 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I really hate stuff like this

What's 11 years got to do with anything? Random number plucked out the air to make the stat fit

Klopp was manager for 9 years , so where does 11 come into it? Is it since sir Alex retired? Just seems a fudged up stat

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Klopp wasn’t the manager for the last 11 years 🤷‍♂️ just as ETH wasn’t the Man Utd for the last 11 years

think it’s also 6 trophies for Man Utd

Prem , 2 x FA Cup , 2 x league Cup and 1 Europa over 11 years

7 for Liverpool

Prem , CL , 1 x FA Cup , 2 x League Cup , 1 x UEFA Super Cup and 1 x Club World Cup over 6 years

But you know what they say about stats eh

If you're going to include the Club World Cup as a trophy then you're going to have to contact all the players to see if their kids won anything at their school sports day to add those trophies into the total.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why wouldn’t it be included 🤷‍♂️

Because it's a completely Mickey Mouse non-trophy. It's not even a footnote when it comes to reporting on the football season. If you asked for the last ten Premier League and Champions League winners by year I'd be confident that I'd get all of them correct. With the FA Cup probably 8 or 9 out of ten and the League Cup 7 or 8 of the 10. With the Club World Cup I couldn't name a single winner in the last 10 years or which year they won it, but I'm sure you'll revert to type and Google the answer to make it look as though anyone cares about that competition.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Because it's a completely Mickey Mouse non-trophy. It's not even a footnote when it comes to reporting on the football season. If you asked for the last ten Premier League and Champions League winners by year I'd be confident that I'd get all of them correct. With the FA Cup probably 8 or 9 out of ten and the League Cup 7 or 8 of the 10. With the Club World Cup I couldn't name a single winner in the last 10 years or which year they won it, but I'm sure you'll revert to type and Google the answer to make it look as though anyone cares about that competition.
Weird when City have worn the badge on their shirt this season since winning it.

LPool, Chelsea, Real Madrid & Barca have all won it recently.

Maybe that’s the pitfall of not following the PL. 🤷‍♂️

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

You do know that it’s a a competition between the winners of all the major club confederation cups - hence why all the biggest clubs in Europe have won it in recent years - but I guess if you haven’t got a team in it then you will have no interest in it - but that doesn’t make it Mickey Mouse due to what a club needs to win to even qualify for it - City have had the badge for it on their shirt since they won it

So yep - we will have it as a major honour hence why it’s on the champions wall and it makes your little picture from TNT even more silly that it originally was.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Weird when City have worn the badge on their shirt this season since winning it.

LPool, Chelsea, Real Madrid & Barca have all won it recently.

Maybe that’s the pitfall of not following the PL. 🤷‍♂️

City wearing the badge on their shirt doesn't make it any more important. And having looked at the list of previous winners (I GooglePhil'd it) the last time a team that wasn't European won it was 2012 and before that was 2006. Only three times in the last 20 years has it been won by a team that wasn't the champion of Europe, and not at all in the last ten years. It's not a "major" trophy, it's an exhibition match to give the Champions League winners an extra trophy.

And just because I support a "small" club doesn't mean I don't follow the PL, that's just your big club snobbery shining through.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Going to be odd re the world club champions. FIFA are going all out to make this competition a big one. MAs ire it’s nothing to do with Money 😂

Edit to say just seen this on the BBC site.

Football's world governing body Fifa has been warned players are willing to go on strike if they continue to be overworked.

Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Maheta Molango believes players are now at breaking point.

The PFA has been calling for action to alter the congested football calendar, especially with the expanded 32-team Club World Cup proposed for next summer.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
City wearing the badge on their shirt doesn't make it any more important. And having looked at the list of previous winners (I GooglePhil'd it) the last time a team that wasn't European won it was 2012 and before that was 2006. Only three times in the last 20 years has it been won by a team that wasn't the champion of Europe, and not at all in the last ten years. It's not a "major" trophy, it's an exhibition match to give the Champions League winners an extra trophy.

And just because I support a "small" club doesn't mean I don't follow the PL, that's just your big club snobbery shining through.

There is no need for snide remarks

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going to be odd re the world club champions. FIFA are going all out to make this competition a big one. MAs ire it’s nothing to do with Money 😂

Edit to say just seen this on the BBC site.

Football's world governing body Fifa has been warned players are willing to go on strike if they continue to be overworked.

Professional Footballers’ Association chief executive Maheta Molango believes players are now at breaking point.

The PFA has been calling for action to alter the congested football calendar, especially with the expanded 32-team Club World Cup proposed for next summer.

Yes, but only with regards to the fixtures that aren't money making, like FA Cup replays on a Wednesday evening. If it's a lucrative friendly in Australia three days after the PL season finishes then that's OK as long as their £300k per week wages continue to get paid.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You do know that it’s a a competition between the winners of all the major club confederation cups - hence why all the biggest clubs in Europe have won it in recent years - but I guess if you haven’t got a team in it then you will have no interest in it - but that doesn’t make it Mickey Mouse due to what a club needs to win to even qualify for it - City have had the badge for it on their shirt since they won it

So yep - we will have it as a major honour hence why it’s on the champions wall and it makes your little picture from TNT even more silly that it originally was.

For me, it’s marginally more important than the Charity Shield in footballing terms but I’d watch the Charity Shield before the Club World Cup. If I were to rank the competitions in order of those I’ll watch. Prem, Champion’s League, Championship, FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Europa League/Conf, Charity Shield, Club World Cup.

Maybe the attitude towards it by the clubs is changing but the matches always looked the training games/friendlies. They lack intensity. If others place more significance on it, fine but I’d sooner watch Midsomer Murders.

Swango1980

Visit site
The Club World Cup is rubbish. The European side is surely almost guaranteed to win it, they are that far ahead of the other teams.

Basically, if you win the Champions League, you are pretty much nailed on to get 2 trophies.

Man Utd won it in 2008, and I really didn't care that much at all. The matches just feel like exhibition games, and I'd sooner prefer the squad be back in England playing in the PL

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Correct! Champion's League winners against the winners of North America, Antarctica and Narnia is just an utterly pointless exercise.