The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

PaulMdj

Visit site
For me, it’s marginally more important than the Charity Shield in footballing terms but I’d watch the Charity Shield before the Club World Cup. If I were to rank the competitions in order of those I’ll watch. Prem, Champion’s League, Championship, FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Europa League/Conf, Charity Shield, Club World Cup.

Maybe the attitude towards it by the clubs is changing but the matches always looked the training games/friendlies. They lack intensity. If others place more significance on it, fine but I’d sooner watch Midsomer Murders.
Thing is though, Clubs (CL Winners) have no choice in entering it, look at the stick Pep & Klopp were given for moaning about playing it and the timing of it.

So if a Club is being made to travel half way round the World to play it, then why not take it serious and try and win it.

But my post was more in response to him claiming the last 10 winners couldn’t be named when he watches the PL and hadn’t noticed a badge on City’s shirt or all the talk about it when it was played or even questioned Tashy when he’s mentioned it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Thing is though, Clubs (CL Winners) have no choice in entering it, look at the stick Pep & Klopp were given for moaning about playing it and the timing of it.

So if a Club is being made to travel half way round the World to play it, then why not take it serious and try and win it.

But my post was more in response to him claiming the last 10 winners couldn’t be named when he watches the PL and hadn’t noticed a badge on City’s shirt or all the talk about it when it was played or even questioned Tashy when he’s mentioned it.
Only one player has a shirt badge with Prem champions, european champions, world club champions and World champions on his shirt when he plays football. Julian Alvarez of Man City and Argentina.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
For me, it’s marginally more important than the Charity Shield in footballing terms but I’d watch the Charity Shield before the Club World Cup. If I were to rank the competitions in order of those I’ll watch. Prem, Champion’s League, Championship, FA Cup, Carabao Cup, Europa League/Conf, Charity Shield, Club World Cup.

Maybe the attitude towards it by the clubs is changing but the matches always looked the training games/friendlies. They lack intensity. If others place more significance on it, fine but I’d sooner watch Midsomer Murders.

Whether people want to dismiss it as such will be down to them I guess

But I know the club took it very seriously and it had meaning to them and it certainly had meaning to the players and that’s good enough for me

It goes on our champions wall and into the trophy cabinet and on the honours roll it also goes

But the point was more about the silly tweet that TNT posted up and then was reported on here as if it was some comparison between the respective careers at each club and then even more laughable someone decided to use a comparison between Klopp and ETH -so beyond it appearing to be factually incorrect it wasn’t even a good stat as a comparison

I do worry though - I thought the league would be poorer without Klopp in it but it’s clear that some on here are really struggling with his departure, obsession is a hard one to deal with and it seems some just can’t handle the fact he has done 😢 my thoughts are with them at the moment in these dark times and I hope they can see the light and move on past 😉

Last edited:

PaulMdj

Visit site
We've even glossed over the fact that he mentioned the 'super cup' as well. That's not a proper trophy it's one game! European charity shield. 😆
Funny how all Clubs that list their Major Honours still show Charity Shield, World Club Cup & European Super Cup Winners (were applicable).🤔

Regardless of how us fans view them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny how all Clubs that list their Major Honours still show Charity Shield, World Club Cup & European Super Cup Winners (were applicable).🤔

Regardless of how us fans view them.
Is it funny? Or do they obviously just want to make it look like they've won more trophies? All three of those are nonsense and no real football fan counts them.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Is it funny? Or do they obviously just want to make it look like they've won more trophies? All three of those are nonsense and no real football fan counts them.
Obviously Clubs themselves disagree.😇

Attachments

• IMG_6381.jpeg
    IMG_6381.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 9

Swango1980

Visit site
Whether people want to dismiss it as such will be down to them I guess

But I know the club took it very seriously and it had meaning to them and it certainly had meaning to the players and that’s good enough for me

It goes on our champions wall and into the trophy cabinet and on the honours roll it also goes

But the point was more about the silly tweet that TNT posted up and then was reported on here as if it was some comparison between the respective careers at each club and then even more laughable someone decided to use a comparison between Klopp and ETH -so beyond it appearing to be factually incorrect it wasn’t even a good stat as a comparison

I do worry though - I thought the league would be poorer without Klopp in it but it’s clear that some on here are really struggling with his departure, obsession is a hard one to deal with and it seems some just can’t handle the fact he has done 😢 my thoughts are with them at the moment in these dark times and I hope they can see the light and move on past 😉
I think Klopp has made the perfect decision.

Leave now and go out a legend in many peoples eyes, for 3 good seasons. Or stay, and potentially become another Wenger, where people realise he isn't as great as people think, and end up of having years of fans growing weary of him and wanting him to leave.

Swango1980

Visit site
I suppose the longer fans try and kid themselves by thinking trophies like the World Club Cup are important and actually mean something, then organisations like FIFA and UEFA will justify their actions of making more and more of these nonsense tournaments, and expanding them.

Who cares if a club takes it seriously? After all, when they are there, they might as well play to win. And, if you are a Champions League winner, you should be hot favourites to do so.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Clubs will go to these club world cups and whether they want it or not once they are there I can't see many of the PL sides not wanting to put a shift in and play well. Can't remember ever seeing that happen and given a lot of the other sides are (in theory) weaker then its often a chance to give some fringe players a run

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

What’s a real football fan when it’s at home ?

Is that someone like yourself who said would stop following Spurs because Kane was sold ?

It really is poor statements to suggest people aren’t “real football fans”

The clubs clearly take a number of these trophies seriously- they are trophies that you need to qualify for after winning others

Each one I have watched they aren’t played as friendlies and the club didn’t take them as friendlies

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read every word, but if a Club somebody supports sees it as a Major Honour then why shouldn’t some of their fans?
I literally said that clubs will obviously use any 'trophy' to stat-pad their trophy haul, then your argument was showing me a club using it to stat-pad their trophy haul. :unsure: Fans are obviously a bit more realistic.

What’s a real football fan when it’s at home ?

Is that someone like yourself who said would stop following Spurs because Kane was sold ?

It really is poor statements to suggest people aren’t “real football fans”

The clubs clearly take a number of these trophies seriously- they are trophies that you need to qualify for after winning others

Each one I have watched they aren’t played as friendlies and the club didn’t take them as friendlies
Touched a nerve clearly. 😄

Swango1980

Visit site
If Man Utd happen to win the Community Shield next year, and follow it up with an open top bus parade through the streets of Manchester, I suspect other fans might just enjoy mocking us for a while. I think most Man Utd fans would be embarrassed.

I'd say the same thing if Man Utd did that after winning a Club World Cup.

I suspect fans celebrate massively when their club wins a league, or are ecstatic after winning a League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League or Europa Conference League final. All because there is a journey to get there, the start of that journey a time when there are many good clubs that could win it. Whereas, Community Shield is a one off game. The World Club Cup is effectively a tournament where one club is pretty much guaranteed to win it, as long as they give about 60/70% effort minimum.

PaulMdj

Visit site
IMG_6382.jpegI literally said that clubs will obviously use any 'trophy' to stat-pad their trophy haul, then your argument was showing me a club using it to stat-pad their trophy haul. :unsure: Fans are obviously a bit more realistic.

Touched a nerve clearly. 😄
Clearly they don’t as Spurs see a European Competition as less than the Charity Shield.

I’m positive you don’t speak for all Fans as none of us one here do.🙄

PaulMdj

Visit site
If Man Utd happen to win the Community Shield next year, and follow it up with an open top bus parade through the streets of Manchester, I suspect other fans might just enjoy mocking us for a while. I think most Man Utd fans would be embarrassed.

I'd say the same thing if Man Utd did that after winning a Club World Cup.

I suspect fans celebrate massively when their club wins a league, or are ecstatic after winning a League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League, Europa League or Europa Conference League final. All because there is a journey to get there, the start of that journey a time when there are many good clubs that could win it. Whereas, Community Shield is a one off game. The World Club Cup is effectively a tournament where one club is pretty much guaranteed to win it, as long as they give about 60/70% effort minimum.
That’s fine, but if a Club lists it as a Major Honour and some of your fans recognise that, what’s the issue? Different points of view are allowed.