The Footie Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
50 Million for a guy that's played one Premier League Season at, lets face it, the wrong end of the table and never received a full cap... What am I missing here?

Brighton must be laughing their heads off surely?

go back a few weeks youll see my views, hopefully I like you are wrong :(

it seems arteta has been given 200m and thinks ramsdale, white, maddison and abraham is how he should spend it, clubs must laugh as soon as arsenal show any interest, double the figure and add a bit more

just to cheer us up even more it seems weve asked too much money for xhaka so are instead going to give him a new contract and bellerin is desperate to go to inter milan but they dont actually want anymore than a loan deal and were going to accept that (even though theyve just sold their right back for 60m lol)

on top of that theres about 7 or 8 others that were supposed to be moved on to reduce the wage bill that they arent managing to do deals for so will probably end up selling better younger prospects instead leaving us yet again with a bloated and unbalanced squad, most on ridiculous wages, cant wait for the season to start :(

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
go back a few weeks youll see my views, hopefully I like you are wrong :(

it seems arteta has been given 200m and thinks ramsdale, white, maddison and abraham is how he should spend it, clubs must laugh as soon as arsenal show any interest, double the figure and add a bit more

just to cheer us up even more it seems weve asked too much money for xhaka so are instead going to give him a new contract and bellerin is desperate to go to inter milan but they dont actually want anymore than a loan deal and were going to accept that (even though theyve just sold their right back for 60m lol)

on top of that theres about 7 or 8 others that were supposed to be moved on to reduce the wage bill that they arent managing to do deals for so will probably end up selling better younger prospects instead leaving us yet again with a bloated and unbalanced squad, most on ridiculous wages, cant wait for the season to start :(

Never mind mate, at least he's an England defender ?.

The glaring problem at Arsenal since about 2004ish was the need to address the defence but all they seem to bring in are midfielders. Never seen a squad so midfield heavy before.

Defenders that are brought in are either untested, unreliable or cheap.

Need a solid DM like a Viera or Fernandinho type player to build around instead of lightweight fast AMs that end up never getting a game (Suarez, Torieira, even Odegaard when he came in wasn't used fully IMO)

But then this is the view from afar from someone that supports their local Scottish second tier side, I'm sure some football expert that supports Man U or Liverpool from a distance will be along to tell me thats all wrong ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never mind mate, at least he's an England defender ?.

The glaring problem at Arsenal since about 2004ish was the need to address the defence but all they seem to bring in are midfielders. Never seen a squad so midfield heavy before.

Defenders that are brought in are either untested, unreliable or cheap.

Need a solid DM like a Viera or Fernandinho type player to build around instead of lightweight fast AMs that end up never getting a game (Suarez, Torieira, even Odegaard when he came in wasn't used fully IMO)

But then this is the view from afar from someone that supports their local Scottish second tier side, I'm sure some football expert that supports Man U or Liverpool from a distance will be along to tell me thats all wrong ?

From about 5 years before Wenger finally went all we have done is destroy asset value, overpay for the wrong type of player and unbalance the squad. current trend seems to be more of the same :( the big issue is clearing out the deadwood still, get rid of xhaka, willian, bellerin, kolasinac, lacazette and torreira and you save close to £1m a week!!!!!! thats before you decide whether £300k a week for aubameyang is viable with no european football :eek:

Personally id happily see us be mid table for a couple of years and give the youth players a proper chance, but will never happen

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
From about 5 years before Wenger finally went all we have done is destroy asset value, overpay for the wrong type of player and unbalance the squad. current trend seems to be more of the same :( the big issue is clearing out the deadwood still, get rid of xhaka, willian, bellerin, kolasinac, lacazette and torreira and you save close to £1m a week!!!!!! thats before you decide whether £300k a week for aubameyang is viable with no european football :eek:

Personally id happily see us be mid table for a couple of years and give the youth players a proper chance, but will never happen

Thus are the pressures in "the best league in the world" for a team like Arsenal.

Torreira didn't seem like a bad player. Games I saw he was either under used or used out of position. Xhaka is probably the worst professional football player I have seen, and I include Ali Dia in that ?, stealing a living.

Build a solid defense and you have some decent talent in mid and attack to deliver some good football IMO, the weak link is totally defence for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thus are the pressures in "the best league in the world" for a team like Arsenal.

Torreira didn't seem like a bad player. Games I saw he was either under used or used out of position. Xhaka is probably the worst professional football player I have seen, and I include Ali Dia in that ?, stealing a living.

Build a solid defense and you have some decent talent in mid and attack to deliver some good football IMO, the weak link is totally defence for me.
The way Arteta wants them to play from the back is scary.
Most defenders are not capable of this .
The ones that are cost a fortune.
That will be the biggest hurdle buying defenders imo.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Am a massive Torreira fan but he didnt settle in the UK and was never happy at Arsenal. He lost his mum to covid earlier this year and ideally wants to go home, alternatively hell go somewhere on the continent I expect. Shame as really liked him as a signing/player but yet another we wont get close to seeing the best of at Arsenal

Xhaka back being "underrated" again after a supposed amazing Euro 202 for Switzerland. I just dont get it I really dont, hes too slow, too error prone and weve now remodelled how we play to accommodate him despite him having slagged off the fan base on more than one occasion. Give him to Mourinho at whatever price hell pay, please

D

Deleted member 15344

Ben White is a very good player - whilst it’s prob £10mil more than what he is worth he does have the added English tax on him.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The way Arteta wants them to play from the back is scary.
Most defenders are not capable of this .
The ones that are cost a fortune.
That will be the biggest hurdle buying defenders imo.

Trust the process - 3 words most arsenal fans really dont like hearing!!!!!

And if anyone can explain how paying 30m+ for Ramsdale fits with this policy of playing out from the back Id love to hear it!!!!!

D

Deleted member 15344

worth more than Varane on all accounts :eek:

Varane has one year left on his contract , was refusing to sign an extension so Madrid got the best price they could , Varane will reportedly earn £10mil a year as well

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ben White is a very good player - whilst it’s prob £10mil more than what he is worth he does have the added English tax on him.

is he really what we need though? a 6ft nothing ball playing versatile centre half with only 1 year at the top and a price tag that says hes one of the best there is. is he really better than saliba or mavropanos will be? for arteta and edus sake i hope so

hes gone for twice the fee that Tomori has for eg whilst were also burning the 30m we bought Sailba for in the process

D

Deleted member 15344

is he really what we need though? a 6ft nothing ball playing versatile centre half with only 1 year at the top and a price tag that says hes one of the best there is. is he really better than saliba or mavropanos will be? for arteta and edus sake i hope so

hes gone for twice the fee that Tomori has for eg whilst were also burning the 30m we bought Sailba for in the process

no idea if it’s the player that Arsenal need -just saying that he is a very good player. No idea what Sailba etc are like as well

D

Deleted member 15344

how much you think Whites getting at Arsenal? (ps we pay Willian more than Varanes getting lol)
Wilian is on £190k a week but was a free transfer ?‍♂️ And White on £5mil

would you be happy if liverpool had paid 50m up front and 150k a week for him?

Being happy about a the fee would be determined by how the player ends up surely ? He could end up be a starting CB for the next 7/8 years and then the fee would be worth it

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Being happy about a the fee would be determined by how the player ends up surely ? He could end up be a starting CB for the next 7/8 years and then the fee would be worth it

oh come on Phil, you dont wait to see how ever player turns out before commenting on whether its a decent tfr do you?

would you want him at that price?